Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you don't like to read series fiction that has not been completed, then stop reading series fiction that has not been completed. There are thousands of standalone fantasy novels, finished trilogies and series. Sixty years worth. You've got a guarantee on those and will not have to worry.

But if you start a series that an author has not completed, you always have the risk that the series will not be completed, ever, for any number of reasons. And if you do not enjoy that experience, then there are many other story experiences that you would enjoy that you can try.

So no, don't read A Song of Ice and Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    If you don't like to read series fiction that has not been completed, then stop reading series fiction that has not been completed. There are thousands of standalone fantasy novels, finished trilogies and series. Sixty years worth. You've got a guarantee on those and will not have to worry.

But if you start a series that an author has not completed, you always have the risk that the series will not be completed, ever, for any number of reasons. And if you do not enjoy that experience, then there are many other story experiences that you would enjoy that you can try.

So no, don't read A Song of Ice and Fire.
    Word. It seems sort of self-evident.

Thank you all for the comments. some good insight and opinion here.

Yeah Song of Ice and Fire, sorry im a nubcake

I agree with KatG.

There is seriously some amazing works of fantasy (and sci-fi if you're a sci-fi fan too) out there, that is all completed or a stand alone. Probably better off reading some of it first if you're super worried about being disappointed with waiting for GRRM.

Anyone else refuse to read A Song of Ice and Fire series?

Im sure the series is amazing but I just cant get myself to read something thats not completed. If I am correct the last book came out in 05 and there are supposed to be 3 more? I dont understand how anyone can read the first 4 books knowing that there probably wont be a conclusion to the series until 2015-2020 assuming the author doesnt die.

It sucks to because I really want to read this series

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    Im sure the series is amazing but I just cant get myself to read something thats not completed. If I am correct the last book came out in 05 and there are supposed to be 3 more? I dont understand how anyone can read the first 4 books knowing that there probably wont be a conclusion to the series until 2015-2020 assuming the author doesnt die.

It sucks to because I really want to read this series
    It depends if you read a series to say 'i have finished it', or because you enjoy reading it.

Endings are just an optional plus

Quote Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
    It depends if you read a series to say 'i have finished it', or because you enjoy reading it.

Endings are just an optional plus
    Well I read the series for the story in which the ending is just as important as the beginning and whats in between. I dont want to read the first 4 books and be like well what happens now? 5 years later next book comes out and then I re-read the series and then wonder what happens now again lol.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Simple: don't read the series.

I, on the other hand, don't mind reading incomplete series at all. I also don't mind re-reading; I've read ASOIAF three times, and each reading has been rewarding (for the sheer amount of clues, hints, and other subtle details that are nearly impossible to catch the first time through).

Lastly, there is no need for yet another thread on this subject. The most recent thread was started just one week ago!

(EDIT: It appears the threads have been merged).
    Last edited by Evil Agent; August 16th, 2010 at 08:03 PM.

I would like for the series to be finished, but if that never happens then would I regret the time I spent reading it? Hell no. It was a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Tytusblade View Post
    Just dove into the series without realizing there's three more still unpublished books needed to complete GRRM's aSoFaI.. I'm really enjoying the first book so far (about 100 pages in), but I really don't want to be disappointed by waiting for more content.

I just finished Feist's At the Gates of Darkness and am mortified at the possible wait time for him to finish the riftwar cycle.

Will I experience the same feelings if I continue on reading aSoFaI or should I just read the four that are out anyway?

Thank you!
    This is why i won't start Fire & Ice because waiting for the Riftwar books is doing my head in enough...

Feist's publishing a book a year and is two years away from the last-ever Riftwar book (in the arc that begun way back in Magician, anyway), so I'm not sure why that wait is doing anyone's head in. Unless you mean it's the year-long wait followed by the terrible, terrible books that Feist has put out for the last decade or so.

My advice is to read the damn thing. There is indeed a semblence of closure after three books and you can pause at that point, but to be honest the sheer number of fantasy series out there which are complete but the endings suck to high heaven is astronomical anyway. At least this way you can hope for a good ending still to come.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    My advice is to read the damn thing.
    I agree. I don't understand why someone would refuse to read the series, just because it's not finished yet. The first three books are some of the best books I've ever read in my life. The fact that it's not yet finished is, to me, irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    I agree. I don't understand why someone would refuse to read the series, just because it's not finished yet. The first three books are some of the best books I've ever read in my life. The fact that it's not yet finished is, to me, irrelevant.
    I agree, the first four books are terrific.

I'm also going to have to concur with Evil Agent, here. ASOIAF are some of the best books I've ever read and, despite the "release" debate and subsequent criticism, I believe many people have said the same thing.

Under that same logic, publishers shouldn't release a book if it's in a series until they are able to release the entire series at once. Considering how long it takes to write a novel, particularly ones as long as these, that would be incredibly bad for business.

And yet, is it exactly because of delays like Martin's or never-ending stories such as Jordan and Goodkind's that readers are a lot more cautious when starting a new series. I remember a poll in a blog recently that clearly showed that people are a lot more likely to buy a series if they know it's complete and the publisher will release it in monthly intervals.

I am getting tired of comparing the number of started series I have and that of completed ones...