Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fair enough, Roland, but the sales figures are probably doing the biggest talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland 85 View Post
    Jordan
    So Sanderson's planning Book #15 too? I knew it!

Goodkind's
    Yeah, but his books aren't "fantasy", so he doesn't count

This is addressed to the OP and others - Jump in when you want, no one's going to think less or more of you for it. What's to say that when the series is finished (i.e. WoT #14, the 7th(?) ASoIaF book), that it's done? King's Dark Tower was finished, and we've since got 4-5 graphic novels and an upcoming 8th book.

If you want to wait until the last book, then do so. Have a little moan about the wait, sure, but at the end of the day it's your choice. If you start it and then have to wait until the next book, then so be it. It's the same for any creative industry - Gamers have to wait for the next release, music fans for the next CD and so forth.

Either way, you're going to finish the series at roughly the same date. I'd say you should read at least the first book or two so you know if it's worth reading or not, and then that question is answered and forgotten. Why hang around for something you might not like?

Sanderson wouldn't even be writing the ending right now if Jordan had any sense of propriety.

Sorry about Goodkind, it just slipped my mind. My bad

I'm sure Jordan is very sorry he passed away and disappointed you, and that his wife chose Brandon to finish the series.

Don't be an idiot. Obviously I didn't mean that. But WoT could have been over by book six if Jordan hadn't become greedy. The books after that added nothing but pointless complication and unnecesary characters to the series, and I am honestly marveling at Sanderson's bravery in tackling that maze of despair. The guy is doing a heroic job, but - like I said - he wouldn't have to if Jordan had done his years ago. This has nothing to do with his death.

And to avoid drama, I didn't imply you are an idiot, just that your post was very much out there...

So is this a WoT thread now?

Don't be an idiot. Obviously I didn't mean that. But WoT could have been over by book six if Jordan hadn't become greedy. The books after that added nothing but pointless complication and unnecesary characters to the series, and I am honestly marveling at Sanderson's bravery in tackling that maze of despair. The guy is doing a heroic job, but - like I said - he wouldn't have to if Jordan had done his years ago. This has nothing to do with his death.
    Perhaps, Roland, but this is the way the series has turned out. I don't think any of us can really say what Jordan was doing by writing so many books - Maybe he felt that he wanted to write a long series and "drew it out" to allow him to do so. Maybe he was just milking the fans. Maybe it was something else. I certainly wouldn't want to say it was any of those as I don't have the facts.

If there's one positive to it, then it's Sanderson getting the recognition for finishing the series. From what I've heard in interviews and on his podcast, along with reviews and comments, he's a talented author with a lot of skill and to top it off, he's a great guy.

And to avoid drama, I didn't imply you are an idiot, just that your post was very much out there...
    I wouldn't disagree if you said I was, truth be told.

I didn't mean my post as an attack upon your person, or to be viewed as such. I think I got a bit hasty in my defence of an author I've not read.

Quote Originally Posted by kirk View Post
    So is this a WoT thread now?
    It seems to be a "huge unfinished series VS completed ones" topic. Seeing as how the original question has been answered multiple times now, I am not feeling particularly guilty for the off-topic. But if it's inappropriate, it would be great if some mod could just move the posts into a new topic.

Dwagginz, I myself am not objective when it comes to WoT. It was the first big fantasy series I got hooked on, and I've been reading since about the publishing of book four. You can hardly imagine what it is to wait three years for a book where NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENS. And then three more for another one to the same result. And again. And again. Ad nauseum. Also, I don't mean "nothing" in a vague figure of speech way, but as a cold blunt fact.

WoT could have been over by book 3 had Jordan wanted it. By the end of EotW Rand was already killing Forsaken. In fact, numerous Forsaken. He could have claimed Callandor by the end of book 2 and proceeded to the final battle by book 3.

Instead, Jordan continued expanding his world and introducing new characters.

Sound familiar? Perhaps a bit like ASOIAF? Question is, will Martin opt to start wrapping things up or will he continuing world building an introducing characters?
    Last edited by Dyloot; August 18th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Read it anyway. At the very least you'll be able to participate in threads like this one.

xvart.

Considering the way the OP feels about unfinished series, I would not recommend starting this one. It may be great writing, but we are not talking about having to wait too long for the series to be finished. Rather, I just do not believe that it will ever be completed.

I'm not touching it until it's done. I have enough books to keep me busy for many years.

If Martin died while out on a walk tomorrow (Oh Discordia!) I wouldn't regret a single minute of my 2 or 3 read throughs of his books or of my purchases. It's just that good.

I can't say the same for WOT, if Sanderson weren't finishing the job (and doing a good job of it btw) I'd feel cheated that the lumbering tale was never drawn together in an ending.

Personally I've enjoyed every volume of the WOT and would be quite happy if Brandom Sanderson suddenly discovered he needed to add another dozen books to finish the series off. *shrugs*

As for ASOIAF, well, again I'll take anything and everything I can get. For me it will be a sad day when the series is completed, stick a couple more books in there George - you know you want to!

The way this thread has drawn in both Jordan and Martin is interesting, since I see these as entirely different scenarios. With Jordan, we had a span of several years in which books were being completed and released, but the books were of questionable quality. So some people weren't happy.

With Martin, we have a calendar span of 10 years in which only one book has come out. But that one book that came out between 2001 and now was of pretty high quality (although perhaps not as favored as the rest). And some people aren't very happy.

So: what's worse? A series in which books ARE being published, but those books don't hold up the standards of the series, or a series in which the books are NOT being published regularly, but are of pretty high quality when they do appear?