Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb SFFworldia: world building project - The absolute basics.

This thread can serve as the discussion for the basics of the world building project.

Some points we should probably get out of the way firstly:

-A name for the universe?

-SF, Fantasy or Blend?

-High magic, some magic or no magic?

-Entirely human or other races/species/sentient creatures?

-Multiple planets? If so, space travel?

-Multiple planes of existence? (Spirit world,wormholes etc)?

-Anything else you can think of.

I would side with a blend. Some form of magic system, or manilpulation of the elements would be a good time for me as well.

I always liked genetically modified humanity but other races or sentient beings I can do without.

Multiple planets and space travel are a must for me. Spirit world I can do without.

SFFworldia also needs a better name (sorry Hobbit )

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No: totally agree. I was joking when I mentioned it in the first place.

I quite like Dan's suggestion of Andol's World, though it tends to make me think more SF than Fantasy with such a name.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    No: totally agree. I was joking when I mentioned it in the first place.

I quite like Dan's suggestion of Andol's World, though it tends to make me think more SF than Fantasy with such a name.

Mark
    I was just fooling with you, I knew you were joking. I'll accept the namesake if that's what people want. It's a fairly minor point I guess, although if anyone can think of a better one I certainly wont be offended.

What about the rest of the points, Mark?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm interested to see what others think on this one.

Of course you could make your world/s as broad as you like. One world high tech, space travel, culture etc, another a Fantasy style medieval society with magic or what passes for magic. You've even got the old chestnut of technology that seems like magic...

But it's up to those who want to contribute, I think.

Mark
    Mark

My first thought when it comes to incorporating both sci-fi and fantasy is to have the fantasy aspects exist in the distant past, but that requires either integrating magic into the sci-fi elements of the future (which might not sit well with some) or coming up with some explanation as to why magic disappeared from the world so thoroughly that it's looked on as myth (i.e the Howard/Tolkien approach). Which still doesn't strike me as ideal.

So I'd come down on picking one or the other, and if I had a choice, I'd go with fantasy. Just my two cents though.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    DailyRich makes a very persuasive point. I was originally in favor of some kind of blend, but in light of DR's post above, I am persuaded that sticking with one or the other would be a better idea.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    What comes to my mind is Jack Chalker's Well World and/or Piers Anthony's Phaze. Both give the basis for magic and science existing side by side.

I think you start with some point and allow people to build from there. I recall Cherryh's Merovingian Nights started out as a fantasy world but by book two or three you realized it was a declination of a future world with the possibility of science hanging in orbit above the planet.

So fantasy with the possibility of later SF being worked into the mix?

I can cast my lot in with that idea.

There's always the "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks" route, where it's a fantasy world with a handful of sci-fi intrusions that are distant and separate enough not to interfere with the wizards and dragons and such. Or a sort of Prime Directive thing, where the technologically advanced race is prohibited from interfering with the natural progression of the indigenous people. Either way gives the option of there being legends of strange gods who walk the earth with weapons and powers beyond that of even the greatest magic.

I'm pretty much sold on "fantasy with the possible addition of sf later". Let's wait a bit longer incase anyone comes in and smites our idea with a better one.

How does everyone feel about magic use if we go the fantasy route?

I'd like to see magic be something anyone can do with the proper training and effort. I've never been a fan of having a special chosen few with "the gift" or whatever you call it.

But, just because it's something anyone can learn doesn't mean every society will have the same attitudes towards it. In some places, it may be reserved for the wealthy elite, with practice of magic by the lower classes a punishable offense. Other places may look down on magic users, and its use has degraded into cheap cantrips like starting fires and helping crops grow. Some places may outlaw it altogether, while others may fully embrace it and be cities brimming with wonder.

Are we going with English? (I notice that the one city we have is called Hope) Or, would anyone be interested in a constructed language?

Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    Are we going with English? (I notice that the one city we have is called Hope) Or, would anyone be interested in a constructed language?
    If we kept it fairly simple, it could work. What sort of ideas did you have in mind?

Blog Entries
    You could write it in Anglish.

Quote Originally Posted by DailyRich View Post
    I'd like to see magic be something anyone can do with the proper training and effort. I've never been a fan of having a special chosen few with "the gift" or whatever you call it.

But, just because it's something anyone can learn doesn't mean every society will have the same attitudes towards it. In some places, it may be reserved for the wealthy elite, with practice of magic by the lower classes a punishable offense. Other places may look down on magic users, and its use has degraded into cheap cantrips like starting fires and helping crops grow. Some places may outlaw it altogether, while others may fully embrace it and be cities brimming with wonder.
    You could have a magic guild or school that accepts apprentices to learn high magics. There could be several schools, each with their own specialty of spells. There could be either a university or a master teaches a couple of apprentices, who then go someplace else to set up and study their copied spellbooks while teaching a couple of apprentices who also make copies from their teacher's copied spellbooks, etc.

You could have classes - expensive wizards using exotic ingredients looking down on humble hedge witches who make do with what they have.