Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Story Ideas - Round Two

Here's a fresh thread in which to kick around story ideas, comment on stories already underway, etc. etc.

I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Er... Jacquin... I really want to write a Chaucer tale... but... I've never read him...

Hey, I'm a genre writer... those literary snobs turn their pointy little noses up at genre, why can't I do the same to great literary works... it's only fair.

Can you give me a few hints?

Blog Entries
    Holbrook puts on English Li hat and coughs....

Geoffrey Chaucer wrote The Canterbury Tales, a collection of stories in a frame story, between 1387 and 1400. It is the story of a group of thirty people who travel as pilgrims to Canterbury (England). The pilgrims, who come from all layers of society, tell stories to each other to kill time while they travel to Canterbury.
    If we trust the General Prologue, Chaucer intended that each pilgrim should tell two tales on the way to Canterbury and two tales on the way back. He never finished his enormous project and even the completed tales were not finally revised. Scholars are uncertain about the order of the tales. As the printing press had yet to be invented when Chaucer wrote his works, The Canterbury Tales has been passed down in several handwritten manuscripts.

Some of the pilgrims:

Knight, Miller, Reeve, Cook, Friar, Man of Law, Wife of Bath,(married goodness how many times) Merchant etc....

Does that help Sheepie...

My basic idea was to create a modern version of Chaucers work. The thought was that we could pick a character and then write a story as if we were them. It doesn't have to be a chaucerian one, any character that has a historical feel is fine. Importanntly it doesn't have to be about them, just a story they would tell...

So if you want to write a story as if you were a knight then that is good, if you want to write one as if you were a fishmonger then that works too. As long as you start off telling us who you are and why you are telling this story then it is ok. I am currently working on rewriting one of the original tales from a slightly diferent point of view.

Basically I thought of it as an exercise to write in a different style to that which we normally use annd to be able to experiment with different povs and such.

Hope this helps

J

Yes, m'lords. Thank you, m'lords. Please excuse my ignorance m'lords. Had a bit of trouble wif me booklearnin and such but I reckon I can do that, jus fine.

I don't suppose a Knight who says Ni is terribly historical an all tho, huh?

No but perhaps a story about a peasant who threw mud at the king could be...

... any shrubbery in that story?

I really want to write a story where something big gets blow up - I think it's just a phase...

Then might I suggest the Anthology of Evil Tales by Various Authors thread? Currently we are waiting to see what "Dysil the undertaker" is doing in or near a sausage factory. You can certainly work through your phase with that! Big places, sausage factories...

Very messy when they explode too... I've heard of it raining frogs and fish and cats and dogs... but never offal.

Originally posted by Rocket Sheep
    Very messy when they explode too... I've heard of it raining frogs and fish and cats and dogs... but never offal.
    Just watch out for the black puddings

As for the stories, can anyone join in?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your best bet is to read the 'About this section' thread, or if like me you wanna just write - contact whoever started the thread by private message and ask to join, or start your own one - either way its a safe bet you'll get a good reaction. Welcome and enjoy

Oh yes please Big Foot. Join in!

The Anthology of Evil Tales has its rules in the first post as do a lot of the other threads. Just add your own evil tale to the anthology.

Some of them are on-going and require you to read what has already happened (making the ones with less posts more appealing) before you attempt to further the plot but everyone is happy to have fresh writers join in. Stories generally get left to a few dedicated writers who can keep tabs on the plot and as long as you don't twist it illogically or blow it to pieces they'll be pleased for a little help. That's why we keep emphasising "Collaborative": working together... altho... if you want to start a story where the rule is to work against the previous writer... feel free.

Please put your foot in, test the water.

Thankyou both, you are both darlings....

A little known fact is that...plain old flour is in constant danger of exploding when suspended in the air. Honest.