Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Ok i'll cast my lot in for the two land masses and the land bridge idea. Although if some other smaller continents and large islands make their way in im not going to complain.

so one island (north island?) has a science/steampunk/alchemy kind of magic system and subsequent society, while the other island is steroptype magic system and religion focused?

I like where we're going if thats the case.

Blog Entries

Two Civilizations Names?

Again just a concept...

Science civilization: (Almost should be something like a cold tone, computerized, clinical)

Fantasy civilization: (should have somthing like magic or dragon or mysical ring to it)

When I come up with more than just the concept will post...lol.

The Mycernian Empire - coldly logical, mostly scientific, obviously (in its own mind) the real soon-to-be ruler of the planet and at least partially military-like.

Arvelon - A confederation of groups/cultures/nations on the other continent (maybe the name of the continent itself). Fantasy based and what should be easy meat for conquest save for magic and all of its confounding abilities (to a science based society anyway)

Blog Entries
    Again just my take.

Depending on POV, from each side the other looks either evil or a nuances aka below their level of civilization.

Again neither wants to co exist with the other. So arrogance on both sides comes into effect.

I like the fantasy name..Arvelon.

Not real sold on science name...Like Empire but it reminds me of the Flash Gordon of the golden era of comics. Waiting for Ming to show his evil presense. lol.

Arvelon has a good ring to it. the empire im not crazy on.

maybe something like a Union.

I thought of this while driving back to work from lunch (yes I was paying attention to driving, thanks for asking).

The Trilateral Union - Three nations forming a loose confederation. While they stick together against others they are not above competing with each other. This would allow a lot of internal plot lines so not everything has to be the Steam Punk nation against the Fantasy nation.

Kind of lame, but heck I was spending most of my time paying attention to driving.

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    I've engaged in collaborative work. Holbrook and I produced a small volume of collaboratively written short-stories and had a great time doing so. The architecture for those stories consisted of one of us writing a beginning, the other trying to write the originator into a hole and so on, back and forth, each new entry an attempt to box in the previous entry. No one was more surprised than we were when the end result became a book, Seven Threads.
    Here we are in this thread attempting to collaborate on a setting for future stories. I have come to the conclusion this is not the way to approach a collaborative world. The only way to make it work is for one person to lead. That person defines the parameters of what is acceptable and everyone else chooses to play along or go write their own stories. I have in mind Lynn Abbey and Robert Lynn Asprin's Thieve's World and/or C.J. Cherryh's Merovingian Nights. The leads defined the world and others chose to play in that world.
    So, I have taken my sole input to this effort and trotted off to my only little space to begin writing stories I want to write.
    Andol, I suggest you define a world you are a comfortable with, write the first story to give everyone else a feel for what you have in mind and then turn the mob loose to see what happens.

Banned
    First of all, the world we were creating was shaping up to be one in which terms like "nation" or "union", and concepts like confederation and republic, would be totally out of step with Magic and rudimentary Science & Technology?

This world needs to be coherent.

You can have city states, even empires, quasi democracy, alliances, politics and intrigue, etc... but why impose our modern ideas of nationhood on an ancient world?

I do like the name 'Arvelon', and the idea of a land ruled by Magic confronting a land in flux, a land where Science & Technology is spreading its wings... imagine a squadron of dragons against a squadron of biplanes.
    Last edited by Sparrow; September 6th, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    First of all, the world we were creating was shaping up to be one in which terms like "nation" or "union", and concepts like confederation and republic, would be totally out of step with Magic and rudimentary Science & Technology?

You can have city states, even empires, quasi democracy, alliances, politics and intrigue, etc... but why impose our modern ideas of nationhood on an ancient world?

I do like the name 'Arvelon', and the idea of a land ruled by Magic confronting a land in flux, a land where Science & Technology is spreading its wings... imagine a squadron of dragons against a squadron of biplanes.
    I agree with the coherent idea, though it can sometimes be hard to separate what we know from what we do not know and turn always to the comforting ideas.

I'd have to bet on the dragons, but it could be very interesting. The dragons could be scared and disoriented by non-living flying beings as much as the pilots of the biplanes would be by dragons. Toss up maybe?

Blog Entries

If you can't tell by now I love to gather and condense thoughts. I think we can all agree on the fantasy name: Arvelon

It's the science/technolgy world we have been stumped on. I too am not wanting to go in the route of Nations, empires, good vs evil, alliances ect...
    Instead like Sparrow mentioned the two worlds exist and only have conflicts when they meet head on head (dragons vs bi-planes). Depending on POV each can look at the other as a foreign entity, in which they have to either ignore or deal with.

So when we name the science/technology world,
    Two veins of thought:
    1. try to keep in mind the 1900's - 1930's era in our history. Pre-computer, pre-high tech.
    2. the other route could be now-future time where it is all high tech.

again just my spin, either idea will work but the name should reflect this.

One thing we need to use as a foundation here is how the 2 'technologies' relate to each other. We need to keep a level playing field. Since we all know that a good way to mess up an engine would be to get sand (whatever) into its fuel supply which can damage or destroy an engine. Low tech defeats higher tech as it were since any dunce could put sand in the tank.

What kind of check can we put on Magic? Somehow there should be similar ways, things available to a tech civilization to counter magic (unless you want to count a flurry of bullets as a counter).

I do not have an answer for this, just food for thought.

Blog Entries
    What kind of check can we put on Magic? Somehow there should be similar ways, things available to a tech civilization to counter magic (unless you want to count a flurry of bullets as a counter).
    If it's weather related...magic conjures a hail storm...tech can have some type of weather controlling device that will counter act it.

Elemental magic can be countered with techs. The mind can think of ways to counter most things in nature giving the opportunity to do so. droughts...seed the clouds.
    floods...damns and such

Again throw the tech a problem they will come up with a solution. Might not be practical but it will be a solution. But heck bullets work too. (kill the wizard and no magic...lmao).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    One thing we need to use as a foundation here is how the 2 'technologies' relate to each other. We need to keep a level playing field. Since we all know that a good way to mess up an engine would be to get sand (whatever) into its fuel supply which can damage or destroy an engine. Low tech defeats higher tech as it were since any dunce could put sand in the tank.

I do not have an answer for this, just food for thought.

A gatling gun is a pretty good equalizer on a battlefield... but you bring up a good question. The Science & Technology need to be rudimentary enough to keep in step with a world in which Magic flourishes, but yet powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with the Magic/Occult.

And my idea for a name for the land that is transitioning to Science & Technology... Panmortium?

Look up the definitions of 'pan' and 'mortem' and you get the idea.

Blog Entries
    And my idea for a name for the land that is transitioning to Science & Technology... Panmortium?
    I like it (alot actually). Nice name sparrow.

again a hybrid of the old and new techn. will work. pre war war II with a splice of futuristic views. bending the rules so to speak. Spitfire vs dragon. Wizard vs robotics/weather manipulators. Nature (tree people, sprites, fairies) vs man made (war machines, guns, ect.)

Again they can live in harmony until a spark ingnites the battle. The more we imagine the more elaborate the worlds become.

thats a great name, nice one. how far into technology do we want the panmortians to go?