Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

If Tom Holt was K J Parker would you be....

annoyed at the deception? I say deception as he would have led us to believe he was female or so i'm led to believe.

I wouldn't be annoyed at him (well, perhaps a little), since Parker's books are very different in style from what Holt writes and I understand the need for the pseudonym, but I would certainly be disappointed, since I have heard so often Parker has to be a man, because no woman would be able to write like that, and I wanted to believe this is not the case.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But.... authors (and publishers) do this a lot.

Examples:

Stephen King was Richard Bachman.
    Robert Jordan was Reagan O' Neal.
    Robin Hobb was Megan Lindholm.
    Robert Silverberg was... too many to name here!

There are lots of others, for lots of different reasons.

Should this then be a surprise to readers? Should it really matter as long as you enjoyed the book/s?

Mark
    Mark

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    it doesn't matter if the books keep coming. Even I knew the true identity of the author I would not judge the books by his/her public views but on their own merit.
    I am naturally curious as to the motive for the secret identity, but not obsessively so.

I think their styles are very similar, but I'm not 100% convinced as yet. I'll wait until I get to a part in a Holt novel where there's a seige...

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    But.... authors (and publishers) do this a lot.
    They generally don't pose as opposing genders though, at least not since much more sexist times.

The reason for the potential annoyance seems to be because Parker is often brought up as a good example of a strong female author writing in the male-dominated epic fantasy subgenre, and her turning out to be male would detract from that.

Banned
    Samuel Clemens - Mark Twain

Emily Bronte - Ellis Bell

Charles Dodson - Lewis Carroll

Alexey Peskov - Maxim Gorky

William Porter - O. Henry

Hector Munroe - Saki

Agatha Christie - Mary Westmacott

Cecil Day Lewis - Nicholas Blake

Louisa May Alcott - A.M. Barnard, Aunt Weedy, Flora Fairfield,

Elizabeth MacKintosh - Josephine Tey, Gordon Daviot

Eleanor Hibbert - Victoria Holt, Phillippa Carr, Jean Plaidy

Barbara Mertz - Elizabeth Peters, Barbara Michaels

Jasmine Cresswell - Jasmine Candlish, Jasmine Craig

Michael Crichton - Michael Douglas, Jeffrey Hudson, John Lange

Dean Koontz - David Axton, Leonard Chris, Brian Coffey, Deanna Dwyer, K.R. Dwyer, Leigh Nichols, Arthur North, Richard Page, Owen West.

Stephen King - Richard Bachman, John Swithen

Joyce Carol Oates - Lauren Kellly, Rosamund Smith

David John Moore Cornwell - John Le Carre

Nora Roberts - J. D. Robb

Sandra Brown - Laura Jordon, Erin St. Claire, Rachel Ryan

Nowadays, pen names are mostly done just for fun.

It was just recently that I discovered Andre Norton was in fact a woman.
    Which make her science fiction stories all the more amazing... ya'know, because women aren't very good with science stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    annoyed at the deception? I say deception as he would have led us to believe he was female or so i'm led to believe.

I think I would only be annoyed if while I was reading the book I found myself having weird sexual fantasies about the authress. Other than that I can't imagine it being a problem.

I'm finding myself not really caring all that much. A deception? I guess. Or just a clever marketing gimmick. Either way, those kind of things wouldn't work if the books were bad, which they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Werthead View Post
    The reason for the potential annoyance seems to be because Parker is often brought up as a good example of a strong female author writing in the male-dominated epic fantasy subgenre, and her turning out to be male would detract from that.
    Detract from what? The fact that women too can write epic fantasy? I don't know about you but I discovered that a long time ago.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Palfrey View Post
    Detract from what? The fact that women too can write epic fantasy? I don't know about you but I discovered that a long time ago.
    I'm positive that Wert didn't mean women can't write fantasy fiction. He was merely stating that Parker is one of the major, primary examples used to illustrate that women do write excellent fantasy fiction. Now, if Parker turns out to be male, the regular usage of that example in the past may detract from the fact that women write excellent fantasy fiction.

Incidentally, I was completely unfamiliar with who Tom Holt was until this thread came along. I went to wikipedia for the brief on Holt. I feel a bit bad if Parker turns out to be Holt, since I was definitely aware of Parker, but not Holt.

Haven't you guys watched Ladybugs?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For starters some of you must think i'm a bit dim, otherwise you wouldn't list other authors who use pseudonyms like I don't already know that.

I have no problem with authors using different names to distinguish there different styles of work but if the author is already published and people know there real name already, so there is no privacy concern, I find it wrong if that author uses a pseudonym and actually hides behind it and and in this case also possibly deceiving us into believing they are a different gender. Mayhap i'm odd but I don't like being lied to and just because others have done it doesn't make it right.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    yet there are legit reasons for an author to insist on privacy. some people really dislike the publicity circus [J D Salinger, Harper Lee]
    why should believe nefarious intent behind this pen name? better to relax and enjoy the books.

Initially, I wasn't thrilled because New Weird was being touted as the second coming of fantasy (which was appropriately weird,) and K.J. Parker was being presented as the female voice of that movement, and it's hard enough for any woman fantasy writer to get that kind of wedge and not be dismissed.

But now it's not really an issue. And Tom Holt is a wonderful writer and if he wanted to do it, why not? Nowadays, pen names are being forced on authors to fool BookScan's computers, but the Parker issue occurred before then, and pen names are a grand tradition of the field for a variety of reasons -- prolificness, women writers hiding their gender to get somewhere in the market in the old days, avoiding limits placed on an author by publishers or fans, etc.

If it is ever confirmed that it is him, I'd hope that Holt would tell how it came about, but I wouldn't be mad or feel deceived by it.
    Last edited by KatG; August 4th, 2010 at 11:08 PM.