GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar

What's new, what's good, what's different?

Having been away for so long, i'm curious to hear what's going on in this segment of the universe?

Books? Authors?

same old, same old or ground breaking?

Boardwise, Elizabeth Moon drifted through and was quite active for a while in the writing forums. Interesting posts.

Bookwise, my favourite recent genre book must have been Paolo Baciagalupi's The Windup Girl. I haven't been that excited about an author since Ian MacDonald (and that was back in the early nineties). Reading lots of short stories, I'm taking an interest in other writers, like Vandana Singh, Mary Robinette Kowal, Aliette de Bodard, and Chris Roberson. (From experience, I suspect you'll not be too excited about books or authors I rave about. Well, we did agree about Scott Bakker, and kinda met in the middle of The Road... )

I haven't been posting much, lately, and I'm more skimming the boards these days. Hopefully, KatG will do a better job of filling you in than I; she's as active as always. Hereford's still here, too. Most of the others who dropped in here I haven't seen for a while (but then, as I said, I'm mostly skimming these days).

Blog Entries
    I've moved to Istanbul and busy busy!

Combined with being busy, hasn't been too much of interest going on on the boards lately -- but I try to keep involved in the writing contests as much as I can. Been catching up on my CJ Cherryh (which I have to try to converse now that all the books near me are in Turkish!), which has been greatly enjoyable.

I start teaching The Outsiders in 2 weeks, which I just read for the first and found quite excellent.

What's new with you?

I'm afraid I missed Gary's pop in back in August, and am glad to hear that he was busy and working on #5 and otherwise okay. Anyone hear anything else since then?

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Hey Kat! Good to see your words here. I"m lurking, just really busy and not monitoring the site like I used to.

I am finishing (still finishing) the last book. I was just in Japan and since the flight was 14 hours each way, I had a great opportunity to write. I did. And I've plotted my way to the end. Only a few chapters left.

Yay! Delighted to hear it. I'm itching to find out what happens with your blasted trees.