Threaded View

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Luya Sevrein View Post
    The problem here is that every point you are raising is irrelevant to my actual debate. (That's what this is meant to be, by the way, not a strawman mish-mass of 'How dare you think this?')

Twilight is a smut book. Popular, peddled smut. It consists of weak plots, mostly focussing around a romance where a (debatably) vampire boy thinks some human girl smells nice and the girl thinks he is hot. The author has created a smut romance and inserted it into a genre that sells well and generates huge fan bases.

Fine. They have to exist, as you say.

Why, though, should we praise them? Should we be happy just to be presented with a novel and lose every thought in our mind that tells us 'Oh heck, si this the way mainstream lit is going?'

Do not praise a book that does not deserve it. Even if that book is popular.

If someone comes up with an amazing argument and series of point as to why Twilight (and others) are amazing, then fine, praise it. But no body so far has. Everyone's arguments have been 'I'm so happy to see my teenager read!', and 'Oh, the story of those 2 lovers is so unique and magical and forbidden!'

There are many young adult books (fantasy or not) that are of a higher writing quality, have deeper plots, more rounded characters and include actual issues other than 'Oh no, should I do my boyfriend before we get married?'

Going Bovine
    A Great and Terrible Beauty
    Prey
    Ink Exchange
    Thirst
    Blood and Chocolate
    Beautiful Creatures
    Deepwoods
    Wind Singer
    Naughts and Crosses

Many more that I don't know as I don't read young adult books that much anymore.

Then, there are the classics that prehaps people beggining to read should be introduced too.

I honestly don't know how to make this ANY clearer. It's not that the poor book exists. It's not that the poor book is loved. It's that the poor book is praised without reason.

Though not nearly as popular but still well read and eventually working their way into the popular mainstream are...

His Dark Materials books, by Phillip Pullman
    The Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson
    Abarat; Days of Magic, Nights of War, by Clive Barker
    The Yiddish Policemen's Union & Gentlemen of the Road, by Michael Chabon

... some good works do fall through the cracks and become top sellers, or at least develop cultish followings... such as, As Simple as Snow by Gregory Galloway.

If the Twilight books act as a gateway drug to the really well written stuff, than I'm good with that. But I'm guessing it doesn't happen like that very often.

I had not read one piece of fantasy for near ten years until a friend said his daughter was reading these Harry Potter books and they really are very well done. Well, after breaking down my defenses I finally took him up on the offer and read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I loved it. I accepted the material for what it was and went on to read all seven books... and that got me interested in better written and thematically more sophisticated fantasy like with the books mentioned above.
    Last edited by Sparrow; August 20th, 2010 at 10:56 AM.