Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajak View Post
    I am just curious as to when anyone decides to rent a book instead of going to the store and dishing out $20-30 for a hardcover.
    When you run out of space?

Recently, I've been making lots more trips to the library than I used to. Before that, I would buy everything and keep everything. At about the time of our last move, I decided that due to the increasing price of paperbacks AND the desire to reduce the sheer poundage we had to move, I'd change my buying / keeping philosophy:

I have many authors who are still on the "buy" list. But of books I kept in the past, I donated to the library a whole bunch that I likely would never read again; I'm only trying to keep books that have potential re-read value. For other authors and newly discovered authors, I'm using the library as my primary source.

For example, I'm working on SM Stirling's Change books. I liked the Nantucket trilogy and original Montival trilogy well enough, I guess, but I know I'll never re-read them. So, having bought all 6 of those originally, I gave them away. Now that I'm in the second series of the Montival books, I'm getting those from the library.

Here is the list of books that I've bought and are still on our shelves (from the SF/F/Horror genres only):

http://faculty.valpo.edu/kluther1/scifihorror.html

And this is after a significant weeding out the last time we moved, this past December.

Ken

EDIT / ADD: When the price of e-books come in line with the price of a new paperback (not far off now, I think), I may go back to paying for a lot more books that I otherwise might not, since storage won't be an issue anymore.

I always use the library when it comes to books I am unsure of... if they actually have them, that is. It is definitely not my go-to source for books, because I love buying them, but it comes in handy when I want to try a book I wouldn't normally want to wager my money on. However, after the beginning of this year, I found myself in a position where I needed to save money and have been forced to cut down on buying books significantly, which means more use of the library. I look forward to being able to buy books again, my library system has a crappy selection.

I buy books I KNOW I'll love and read more than one time. If I'm unsure of them, or haven't ever read it before I go to the library. Also, there's certain authors the library doesn't carry so those books I generally have to purchase if I want to read them.

Recently, with an impending job-oriented relocation I've put my book buying on hold. Well, that and my bookshelf is full. I need to buy another one.

For those with shelf space problems, how about getting an e-reader? Also, one of my biggest pet peeves with door stopper books (especially those omnibus books) is the weight of those things can crush you while you're reading in bed. With e-readers, problem solved!

I'm ready to jump into the e-reader bandwagon, but I'll wait until they get a bit cheaper to maybe sub $100. So excited to get one though.

Quote Originally Posted by wwfward View Post
    For those with shelf space problems, how about getting an e-reader? Also, one of my biggest pet peeves with door stopper books (especially those omnibus books) is the weight of those things can crush you while you're reading in bed. With e-readers, problem solved!

I'm ready to jump into the e-reader bandwagon, but I'll wait until they get a bit cheaper to maybe sub $100. So excited to get one though.
    I picked up a Kindle about a month ago and I absolutely love it! If you have a smart phone, though, you don't even have to have a kindle (at least I don't think so). I have the Kindle App on my iPhone and I read my books on there probably even more frequently than on the Kindle itself. The best part of the Kindle is that I am now able to sample authors that I would never have even heard of much less tried. Free books and books that cost about a dollar. I actually discovered a very good fantasy series on there by trying out the first book in the series through the Kindle. It was $0.89 so I didn't feel bad risking it. Now I just finished the third book a few days ago and I can't wait for the fourth. (The series is the Half Orc series by David Dalglish...I started a thread here you can search, so I won't go into any details off the topic here)

I sorta recycle books if i see something i like i buy the paperback and than when i am finished with a bunch of them i take them to a local used book store that does quarter exchanges for thier stock when you bring in new. Two books for 8.25 is not a bad deal

For many years, I've always bought my books. However, the process of preparing for a cross-country move a few years ago gave occasion to rethink things. Packing and moving more than ninety boxes of books (even after having having given/donated lots away) will do that to you. I thought about how often I had re-read books in the last decade (not so often) and about how much I had spent on books (all too much) and decided that it was time for a change. Now-a-days, I mostly get my books from the library. Fortunately, I currently have access to a great library system. If anything, the change has been a relief. If only I had access to UC Riverside's Eaton collection, my life would be complete (I'm jealous of MarcusTenser!).

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
    The only downside is that library books aren't always as clean as I'd like. "What's that smudge? Chocolate? Ooh, are those bread crumbs?" Blech. But that's rare, and so far nothing has rubbed off.
    One can only hope it was chocolate.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    I ALWAYS use the library. If I'd bought every book I thought was worth reading then at least one (probably more) room in my house would be solid book. I mean solid, every cubic inch of volume taken up by paper.

I buy books if I either really enjoyed them or are really cheap or I really want to read them before they arrive at the library.

About every two weeks I head to the library and bring home 10-20 books. (I've occasionally hit the library's loan limit of 35) If I bought all these books, I'd have to build a house out of them and burn them for light and warmth.

Money doesnít leave my pockets unless itís 1) A book Iím sure to love, or 2) something Iíve already read and consider worth always having on hand.

Space/weight

With the Kindle app free for so many platforms, including Apple products, books get kinda light and pack close, so if those are concerns... I'm a rabid bookworm and collector, but after a lot (and I mean lot) of deductive reasoning, I decided that not too many folks are anymore. It was a brutal decision, but this old fuddy-duddy settled on epub in the end. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by hippokrene View Post
    About every two weeks I head to the library and bring home 10-20 books. (I've occasionally hit the library's loan limit of 35) If I bought all these books, I'd have to build a house out of them and burn them for light and warmth.

Money doesnít leave my pockets unless itís 1) A book Iím sure to love, or 2) something Iíve already read and consider worth always having on hand.
    Pretty much me as well (though change the number from each library visit to 3-4 books ). The good thing about our Council library is that you can also request books from most other libraries in the country, so it's rare that you can't find one.

Strictly from a personal financial point of view, buying CD's, DVD's, Blu-ray disks, and books is generally a waste of money unless they contain information you need to frequently refer back to. All the information contained in these perishable media formats is generally available elsewhere free or at a reduced cost.

It is a different story if you feel a moral or ethical obligation to support the authors or feel that you need to build you book "collection". Personally I use the library as much as possible. I only buy books I consider exceptional or were missing from the library's catalog.

Don't get me wrong. I own quite a few books, but they are all "good" books.

Quote Originally Posted by wwfward View Post

Not sure which part of the world you are in, but if you're in the US newegg regularly have ereaders discounted heavily below $100 (I think the lowest has been $70). Then again the new Kindle starts at $139 (bargain price for what you get IMHO, mine is ordered).

I don't borrow books, I buy. Due to our lack of free space I buy ebooks now and only buy paperbacks of special books I want. My general reading is ebooks now.

I buy all my books because I really want to support the authors for these excellent books. I think this genre needs all the support it can get. I do have quite a huge collection now but I just keep building more shelves

I've considered the ereader however I fly a lot and you can't have them on while taking off or landing, prolly not that big of a deal but it is something. Also I just like the feel of holding a book in my hand. And there are a few books not available for kindle yet.