Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fantasy/Horror Reading in August 2014

Here's where you tell us what Fantasy and Horror you've been reading this month. Whether good or bad, we want to hear what you think.

Mark/Hobbit
    Mark

Finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy, by Robert V.S. Redick. Excellent start to an epic fantasy tetralogy (The Chathrand Voyage). The characters are appealing, the worldbuilding is complex and interesting, in a way that affects the plot. It's a fat fantasy (560 pages), but it does not get boring. I'm now starting the second book The Ruling Sea.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farseer2 View Post
    Finished The Red Wolf Conspiracy, by Robert V.S. Redick. Excellent start to an epic fantasy tetralogy (The Chathrand Voyage). The characters are appealing, the worldbuilding is complex and interesting, in a way that affects the plot. It's a fat fantasy (560 pages), but it does not get boring. I'm now starting the second book The Ruling Sea.
    Possibly my favorite series of the last several years.

I decided to try some H. Rider Haggard. I finished She and now I'm in the middle of King Solomon's Mines. I must say, for adventure novels, they're pretty slow-moving and boring. Or maybe I'm just too old to be reading H. Rider Haggard.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Ashura View Post
    Possibly my favorite series of the last several years.
    In another forum someone said that the series fell apart in the last two books. I guess you disagree with that statement, don't you?

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farseer2 View Post
    In another forum someone said that the series fell apart in the last two books. I guess you disagree with that statement, don't you?
    I can understand how some might see it that way, but no, I didn't think the story fell apart at all. I thought some of the mythic elements of the backstory might have leaked away, especially in book 4, rendering them more prosaic, but otherwise, I liked the series all the way through the end.

Half way through Blood Raven, and WOW I love it. Once that ones finished I will move on to - Tower Lord, Half a King or Malice - not decided yet
    Last edited by killface; August 3rd, 2014 at 06:27 AM.

Still reading A Heroine of the World by Tanith Lee. It's slow going for me. Not because it is bad, but because it is about a thirteen year old girl in a world of adult men, war and soldiers. In a conqueror's army. I find I get really upset at certain parts, so I have to put it down and take a breather. Which is good, because the book is doing its job. It's eliciting a reaction. I can only read this book in short bursts.

It's giving me the same reaction as when I read Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale. I was also writing a paper about sexual violence used as a form of humour in Petronius' Satyricon at the time, which was also a weird head space to be in.

I think this novel is even more disturbing than Lee's White as Snow, which I didn't think was possible. She does it all with some wonderful prose, though. The imagery is luscious. She is able to give the point of view such dreamy realism. The heroine of A Heroine of the World, is so young, and sheltered and really has no idea what's going on. That what is going on is not right. That's what makes it so hard to read sometimes. It's really well done.
    Last edited by NickeeCoco; August 3rd, 2014 at 07:20 AM. Reason: I rushed the original, because I wanted coffee. Now I have coffee, and wish to elabourate.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Seal of the Worm by Adrian Tchaikovsky - the last book in his Shadows of the Apt series, and it is just as good as the ones that I've read before. I know that I will miss some of the characters here (even if I'm not certain most of them will survive the final battle), but I found out that next year mr. Tchaikovsky will publishe a new SF book, in a different setting.

I just started the audio version of Promise of Blood, first of the Powder Mage books by Brian McLellan. The premise is interesting -- a coup in a society with flintlocks and sorcerers -- but I'm not at all sure about the writing. So far there's waaaaay too much telling and not enough showing, and I don't mean too much exposition. Too much of telling us what a character is thinking or feeling and not enough showing us, and so forth. And, at just an hour in, we've already got 4 POVs. All in all, the jury is out.

Currently reading "Damned" by Chuck Palahniuk. It was this month's selection for the book club I'm in and I'm about half way done right now. Like most Chuck Palahniuk books, I imagine this one will prove to inspire some interesting conversations at the book club meeting. :P

Read interesting books
    tried a bunch of fantasies - a few indies which seem to do well from M. Hogan, E Knight and E. Scott de Bie - and the first and second which were more interesting as subject did not work as prose, while the third which is better written by far (the author has been working in the forgotten realms mines for a long while) is not that interesting as subject...

back to tower Lord which started becoming slightly more interesting after about 50 pages, but still far from the compelling blood Song for now, while today I got a copy of the upcoming Falcon Throne from K. Miller and I will take a look at that too as maybe for once the author managed to write 650 pages of actual content not 100 pages spread over 600 as in earlier books - this one has a very epic blurb so if the content follows, it could be interesting

I finished Prince of Thorns on like the 1st and have read King of Thorns. I thought they were pretty good books and will enjoy reading Emperor of Thorns, but that will have to wait just a bit...... because this morning as I started up my Kindle for PC my pre-order of Assail downloaded.... Got to get me some of that! Totally stoked right now!!!!!!!!!

I got to read an ARC of The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley, and enjoyed it quite a lot.

The story tells of an approaching war of worlds and the characters (and races) shaping it's outcome. It's epic, dark and has some originality to it.

The magic system system is based on drawing energy from the orbiting moons (and is strongest when they're in the sky above). The vegetation is often carnivorous and dangerous, and to get around people ride hybrid bears and dogs. Women are very much the stronger sex, with men often just as companions left at home.

The novel is packed full of ideas, characters, sub-plots, and as mentioned, and interesting magic system and setting.

A qualm would be that the reader is thrown in to the deep end pretty much from the start, and I only really started to piece a lot of it together half way through. The story it told from multiple points of view, and I thought a bit more focus and succinctness in the plot and resolution at the end would have made it a better book.

Still a great read through, probably 4/5 for me.

Started The Dreamstone by C. J. Cherryh yesterday, part of her Ealdwood stories. Like in all of her work, she uses complex sentence structure. Enjoying it.