Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prince of Fools

Prince of Fools

Mark Lawrence's new book has been released, for those who are interested. I picked it up and am hoping to start reading it this weekend.

I'm fretting over the fact that my pre-ordered copy hasn't yet arrived.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It showed up on my Kindle yesterday or the day before.

Did you pre-order a hard copy?

Hard copy via Amazon. With previous pre-orders, they've sometimes had the book arrive on release day. I think. I might have invented a rosy memory to replace the memory of gut-wrenching anticipation. 1st world problems.

Anyhow, the reviews I've read for Prince of Fools have my anticipation ratcheted up pretty high. The lead character seems like a perfect vessel for Lawrence's humor. I think Mark Lawrence is on a great trajectory as a writer.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danogzilla View Post
    Hard copy via Amazon. With previous pre-orders, they've sometimes had the book arrive on release day. I think. I might have invented a rosy memory to replace the memory of gut-wrenching anticipation. 1st world problems.
    Amazon can be a bit random. I hope it's reached you by now!

It has. The mail carrier accidentally delivered it to my downstairs neighbors. They managed to walk it up the flight of stairs last night.

Only 70ish pages in thus far, but goddamn this book is good!
    Last edited by Danogzilla; June 9th, 2014 at 06:00 PM.

It has. The mail carrier accidentally delivered it to my downstairs neighbors. They managed to walk it up the flight of stairs last night.

Only 70ish pages in thus far, but goddamn this book is good!
    Wow, great reaction. It is always good to see someone happy and content with something they have been anticipating.

I have not read any of Mark Lawrence myself, but have heard good things about him as an author (not just saying that because he is posting here). What do you guys think? Is this a good book to start with, or should I read his first trilogy?

I haven't got Fools yet but don't think it's related to the first series. That said, they're bloody good too

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    I have not read any of Mark Lawrence myself, but have heard good things about him as an author (not just saying that because he is posting here). What do you guys think? Is this a good book to start with, or should I read his first trilogy?
    I'd say you could start with Prince of Fools and not be missing anything necessary to the story. The two series are set in the same world, but are independent of one another. Fun cameo aside . Also, Prince of Fools is definitely more accessible than Prince of Thorns in terms of character and tone, and I'd say the narrative is a bit more straightforward.
    Last edited by Danogzilla; June 11th, 2014 at 12:16 PM.

I'd say you could start with Prince of Fools and not be missing anything necessary to the story. The two series are set in the same world, but are independent of one another. Fun cameo aside . Also, Prince of Fools is definitely more accessible than Prince of Thorns in terms of character and tone, and I'd say the narrative is a bit more straightforward.
    Thanks, I picked it up yesterday. I have a few non fiction books to finish up, along with the new Dresden, but I will be starting this as soon as I finish up with those. I can't wait.

I thought this was an awesome start to the new trilogy. A very different character but very funny and still dark too. I loved seeing characters from Jorg's story through new eyes.

Great book, Mark. I enjoyed every bit of it. And you do a great job of showing off your versatility as well -- even within the same world, the same region, and the same point in time, the tone and characters are entirely different. I'm extremely happy that this turned out so well, and I can't wait til the next one comes out.

And if you're keeping up with this thread, I'm dying to ask -- did you hire Tim Gerard Reynolds because of his work with the Riyria books, or was that coincidental? I'm now convinced that he's one of the best narrators out there, so I'm not complaining -- just curious!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    Great book, Mark. I enjoyed every bit of it. And you do a great job of showing off your versatility as well -- even within the same world, the same region, and the same point in time, the tone and characters are entirely different. I'm extremely happy that this turned out so well, and I can't wait til the next one comes out.

And if you're keeping up with this thread, I'm dying to ask -- did you hire Tim Gerard Reynolds because of his work with the Riyria books, or was that coincidental? I'm now convinced that he's one of the best narrators out there, so I'm not complaining -- just curious!
    Great to hear, Contrarius, many thanks! I remember you were an early-adopter for Prince of Thorns too

I'm not involved in the audiobooks - I don't find out who the narrator is until I see them listed on the internet. I did volunteer the opinion that despite the stellar work by James Clamp and Joe Jameson on the Broken Empire audiobooks it would be best to have a new voice for a new first person book, otherwise it might be harder to make the break with Jorg.

I've never listened to an audiobook so I'm not aware of Reynolds' work. It's certain that he was hired because of his fine track record though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post

I've never listened to an audiobook so I'm not aware of Reynolds' work. It's certain that he was hired because of his fine track record though!
    I can't believe you've never listened to a single one!

Get the audio for Prince of Fools or for one of the Riyria books pronto. Reynolds has only been doing audio narration since 2010, and he's recorded less than 30 books so far, but you seriously couldn't have asked for anyone better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrarius View Post
    I can't believe you've never listened to a single one!

Get the audio for Prince of Fools or for one of the Riyria books pronto. Reynolds has only been doing audio narration since 2010, and he's recorded less than 30 books so far, but you seriously couldn't have asked for anyone better.
    I just find them too slow and not something I can pick up and drop (with a folded page) at will like I can with a book. Also my attention wanders and I miss things. Plus, if it's my own book then I've had the voices in my head for a long time and hearing someone else speak them is always going to sound wrong.