Fool's Assassin....spoiler thread

As it seems that the other FA thread is using spoiler space, i thought it might be nice to have a thread for those who have actually read the book.
    (Mods may see otherwise, in which case please feel free to merge)

I have just finished this book and have a few thoughts i would like to share.
    The first being: Wow! What a fantastic return to form and what an adrenalin-fuelled final act!

It wasn't always thus however....after the first 200 pages i was beginning to worry that absolutely nothing was going to happen a la Rain Wilds (books 1 and 2 at least).
    But then, it suddenly all changed. And that point of change for me was when the POV suddenly changed to Bee.
    Now we had a new perspective and a thrilling new character.
    I really loved Bee and loved how we got to see 'both sides of the story' of the relationship between her and Fitz.
    She is a really likeable character and i am itching to experience more of her.

And i also liked the counterpoint of the awfully self-obsessed Shun and the almost equally annoying 'always-right' Nettle. I hope that the former gets her comeuppance (if she hasn't already) and the latter starts to mellow a bit. Cant she see that, though far from perfect, Fitz is really a man with the concerns of others at heart?

And then, we get the final third where it all kicks off.
    I must say, i found the Fool reveal to be a bit jarring...though i can't seem to put into words why.
    But, despite that, I'm glad he's back.

And then, to Withywoods....or should i say Winterfell?! Because this is where it all seemed to go a bit George RR.
    Ok, so she didn't quite have the balls to kill off major characters, but a couple of them bit the dust, and these were characters we cared about.
    I do feel that we are going to see more deaths in books in fantasy in the post-ASOIAF age.

And then the very end. Just as we think Bee may escape, she is caught...but there is one final twist where she seems to connect with her captors.
    Is this just a type of glamour? Or maybe the captors are not quite what the Fool has led us to believe?
    Whatever it is, it feels like things are going to get interesting in part two, and i, for one, cannot wait!

Brava Ms Hobb

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I, for one, am glad you started a spoiler filled thread. I finished recently as well and want to talk about it.

First, I didn't think it ever dragged. I liked getting to know Fitz in his father capacity (more on that later). But I do agree with you that Bee is going to be a character that will make our hearts bleed rivers of blood. She is going to be awesome, I predict.

I, too, didn't like the scene at in Withy (is that what the nearby town was?). While they were shopping and the whole thing with the dog (great scene, by the way), why hadn't any of them recognized each other?! They were all there. Bee saw both her "brother", the Fool, and they, undoubtedly would have either seen or felt she and/or Fitz was nearby, right? That part didn't quite make sense.

The other thing I wanted to say about Fitz being a father was that I felt wretched that Hobb isn't going to give Fitz and Bee more years together. I think nine years just wasn't enough. It's just too cruel.

Oh, and since Bee's supposed "brother" got her gender wrong, and Bee got the messenger's gender wrong, what else might the White Prophets get wrong? What had the Fool gotten wrong all those years ago with Fitz?

I can't wait for the next book, too, and I think Hobb is a far superior writer than any other author I've ever read. I didn't think any of the events reminded me of any other writer. Hobb breaks my heart each and every time I read of Fitz and the Fool, and I want more (of Fitz, and now, Bee).

Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    I, too, didn't like the scene at in Withy (is that what the nearby town was?). While they were shopping and the whole thing with the dog (great scene, by the way), why hadn't any of them recognized each other?! They were all there. Bee saw both her "brother", the Fool, and they, undoubtedly would have either seen or felt she and/or Fitz was nearby, right? That part didn't quite make sense.
    My theory is that the Whites see the world in much different ways than most others. The Fool is probably used to seeing Fitz through his seer eyes, so without his usual power and the many years apart, Fitz is probably not as recognizable to him.

As for Bee, it was probably due to the lack of experience, as she didn't sense her captor at the end of the book either.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, yes, well, and the Fool is blind.

I'm guessing there's a lot of other stuff we don't know yet that is going on, too. Particularly, as kidsan pointed out, there's a reason why Bee went willingly to her captors. Was it a "glamour" thing or not? Obviously, Bee had seen him glow in the town square, but didn't know what it was. She saw him glowing when they were torturing/interrogating the house staff. But she didn't recognize him as family until he was fairly close. And when she touched the Fool, there was an obvious connection and she got information (and the Fool got sight), but she didn't have the sense of family. So, I'm thinking either her captors are doing something to influence her as kidsan pointed out, or Fitz is related to that particular White Prophet...I think.

Anyway, I have a theory about White Prophets and their flip-floppy gender. Do you all think that maybe for the White Prophets their gender changes according to the (unspoken) wishes of those closest to them?