Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[Arabian Fantasy] Desert of Souls and In the Shadow of Swords

Anybody read either of these? They both came out in hardocver last month. I just finished In the Shadow of Swords by Val Gunn that was surprisingly good and I am halfway done with Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones which I'm thoroughly enjoying as well.

These sound interesting. Bookdepository has given me a discount on my next order for having to cancel one of my pre-orders, so I figure I might as well buy as much as I can in my next order to get the best use of the discount

On the list these go.

Hey, how did you manage to get a discount from BD for cancelling a pre-order, I've never gotten one of those for that reason?

Heard good things about Desert of Souls, I might check it, but I have too much on my plate at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard View Post
    Hey, how did you manage to get a discount from BD for cancelling a pre-order, I've never gotten one of those for that reason?

Heard good things about Desert of Souls, I might check it, but I have too much on my plate at the moment.
    It was for Bastards and the Knives by Scott Lynch, they had to cancel it because it doesn't look like Lynch is going to get to it, or at least not any time soon. In their words "As a token of apology for being unable to fulfil this part of your order we'd like to offer you 10% off your next purchase as well as the full refund for the book we have been unable to send."

I thought that was pretty cool. Bookdepository has earned my loyalty. I've had a couple times a book has been lost in the mail but they replaced it both times without argument, and responded extremely quickly.

You got lucky, I've never gotten one of those deals even though I've had to cancel books in that manner before.

But yeah, they've been helpful and quick to respond.

Did you cancel, or did they? They cancelled this one on me, I was just going to wait it out. That might be the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksbane View Post
    Did you cancel, or did they? They cancelled this one on me, I was just going to wait it out. That might be the difference.
    Well, I haven't asked about this book in particular, but I usually have to contact them ask them about the status of X book, and then we go from there. But yeah, I usually have to say to them to cancel it.

But whatever, I've gotten about 3 10% coupons in the last 4 months and have done all my orders with those 3 coupons. And just found a 4th one online, but having a hard time finding books I need to put it to use.

Let's leave it at that, way off-topic at the moment.

Yes, very off topic.

Desert of Souls is particularly interesting to me, since it deal with Ubar the "Atlantis of the sands", which the next Uncharted game for PS3 deals with. Can't say I'm a fan of the cover, though.

Gunn's book seems to be unavailable at bd.com right now, so I'll probably hold off for now, since I have plenty of others to read anyways.

Desert of Souls is particularly interesting to me, since it deal with Ubar the "Atlantis of the sands", which the next Uncharted game for PS3 deals with. Can't say I'm a fan of the cover, though.

Gunn's book seems to be unavailable at bd.com right now, so I'll probably hold off for now, since I have plenty of others to read anyways.
    Desert of Souls is a much more straightforward, simple tale. Howard's writing is what makes it good so far. The story is moving toward Ubar, which I am excited about as well.

In the Shadow of Swords is complicated, with many layers of intrigue. There are a bunch of characters and countries that are involved. Also loads of action.

I am depressed to hear about Lynch's delay. I was really hoping it would release this year.

Yes, very off topic.

For Desert of Souls, if you're in the US, you might be better off buying it from Barnes and Noble and use the 10% Off coupon they have currently for entire orders (no pre-orders).

Of course, if you aren't a member then you need to order something else to get the free-shipping, but the Desert of Souls is cheaper there even without the 10% off.

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Anybody read either of these? They both came out in hardocver last month. I just finished In the Shadow of Swords by Val Gunn that was surprisingly good and I am halfway done with Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones which I'm thoroughly enjoying as well.
    Thank you for the kind words

I haven't had the chance to read Desert of Souls, but I am really looking forward to it. Howard has mentioned that he is working on a sequel to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vgunn View Post
    Thank you for the kind words

I haven't had the chance to read Desert of Souls, but I am really looking forward to it. Howard has mentioned that he is working on a sequel to it as well.
    Cool. Hopefully a sequel of yours is in the works as well. The book ended with quite a cliffhanger and I'd like to see Ciris Sarn developed further, he was a very interesting anti-hero.

I finished The Desert of Souls last night. It was pretty good. This book was a fun sword-and-sorcery adventure yarn set in 8th Century Baghdad and its environs. Think of the Prince of Persia movie, but more historically accurate and better written. In fact, the author mentions that, while writing this book, The Arabian Nights was often his inspiration and guide. I get the sense that could be more stories set with the two main characters and it will be fun to read them if they are ever written.

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    I finished The Desert of Souls last night. It was pretty good. This book was a fun sword-and-sorcery adventure yarn set in 8th Century Baghdad and its environs. Think of the Prince of Persia movie, but more historically accurate and better written. In fact, the author mentions that, while writing this book, The Arabian Nights was often his inspiration and guide. I get the sense that could be more stories set with the two main characters and it will be fun to read them if they are ever written.
    I finished this one last week and indeed it was a fun read. I have mentioned In the Shadow of Swords earlier in this thread and if you liked DoS, then you'd definitely would enjoy it as well. Not the same writing style and the setting is more unique. One of the better books (especially for the genre) I've read this year.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I read the ARC of Shadow of Swords and didn't care for it at all. It was disjointed. The world was said to be huge yet they travel quickly from A to B. It had a lot of potential but just never got there and failed to peek my interest.