Looking for new books

Hi all, I'm a huge Joe Abercrombie fan, I like how he writes with a mix of violence and humour, I've read other authors such as Scott Lynch, Brandon Sanderson and many others but find their books lack humour, can anyone please recommend any books that don't hold back on adult subject matter but also contain humour, thanks.

Carl Alves
    Scott Sigler is pretty awesome. He has a nice mix of violence and humor.

Thanks Carl, I'll definitely check him out, I've just started reading Mark Lawrence, Prince of thorns, which seems to tick all the boxes

Try Mike Sullivan and Sam Sykes.

Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Try Mike Sullivan and Sam Sykes.
    Michael J. Sullivan definitely uses humor very well in his novels.

As far as Abercrombie goes, I haven't read all of his books, but I probably will because he is really good. For me his crowning achievement in the realm of humor is of course........ Sand dan Glokta..... The Bloody-Nine had some very humorous scenes... and introspective self-dialogue but Glokta was comedic gold.

I have always been a fan of the humor Eddings used in his stories, but they are all YA... especially in comparison to Abercrombie..... and I am NOT saying that YA is a bad thing.... a good story is a good story.... comedy is comedy....

Here is one that might get a few WTFs. Erikson. MBOTF has many absolutely hilarious scenes.... or at least the end up being hilarious since the usually are preceded by a horrifically traumatic event or scene. Bugg and Tehol, Helian, Shadowthrone, Kruppe...... just to name a few of the more light-hearted characters..... but there are thousands of pages of heart- crushing despair in that series as well....

Just a thought though.

Cheers!

Kempster
    Last edited by kempster; September 10th, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    Here is one that might get a few WTFs. Erikson. MBOTF has many absolutely hilarious scenes.... or at least the end up being hilarious since the usually are preceded by a horrifically traumatic event or scene. Bugg and Tehol, Helian, Shadowthrone, Kruppe...... just to name a few of the more light-hearted characters..... but there are thousands of pages of heart- crushing despair in that series as well....

Just a thought though.

Cheers!

Kempster
    Oh my I haven't responded to this thread with my typical long winded recomendations because I usually could careless about humor in my fantasy books, but I forgot about Malazan! Tehol and Bugg are some of the funniest and best moments in Malazan. I smile just thinking about those two. Helian and Ublala Pung are also hilarious! But ya, Shadowthrone, Ikral Pust, Kruppe, Karsa, Gesler and Stormy, Telorast and Curdle, and many others have dry humor.

More and more I just want to re-read this series.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Oh my I haven't responded to this thread with my typical long winded recomendations because I usually could careless about humor in my fantasy books, but I forgot about Malazan! Tehol and Bugg are some of the funniest and best moments in Malazan. I smile just thinking about those two. Helian and Ublala Pung are also hilarious! But ya, Shadowthrone, Ikral Pust, Kruppe, Karsa, Gesler and Stormy, Telorast and Curdle, and many others have dry humor.

More and more I just want to re-read this series.
    Bold mine......
    You know Chris.... this isn't the first time you have said that.... I think that the only reason you haven't is that rereading a book/series is a violation of one of your reading rules......LOL. Yes, all the other characters you mentioned have very funny scenes as well....... Ublala Pung and the Chickens damn near killed me..... but then there are other moments that involved really serious characters that were handled with such a dry sense of humor that I really appreciated. An example would be one of the last times we see Hood and his mentioning having been recently taught a lesson in brevity.... I nearly choked at that.

Witness!

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    Bold mine......
    You know Chris.... this isn't the first time you have said that.... I think that the only reason you haven't is that rereading a book/series is a violation of one of your reading rules......LOL. Yes, all the other characters you mentioned have very funny scenes as well....... Ublala Pung and the Chickens damn near killed me..... but then there are other moments that involved really serious characters that were handled with such a dry sense of humor that I really appreciated. An example would be one of the last times we see Hood and his mentioning having been recently taught a lesson in brevity.... I nearly choked at that.

Witness!
    You're almost right. It's not really a rule. It's like a virgin who has waited so long they want the first time to be perfect. I will reread it soon though. Malazan will be my first.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    You're almost right. It's not really a rule. It's like a virgin who has waited so long they want the first time to be perfect. I will reread it soon though. Malazan will be my first.
    LOL..... Cheers Chris..... I really enjoyed my reread and someday I will do another.... as I have mentioned, I have enjoyed Amanda Rutter's perspective on the TOR malazan read..... Speaking of which, that Malazan read on TOR is nearly complete.... Chapter 17 of TCG..... where "the ribby Snake" meets the Bonehunters...... The thing with the toys gets me every single time..... I choked up reading about it on the reread on TOR..... so of course I had to reread that chapter.

Cheers buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnymoz View Post
    Hi all, I'm a huge Joe Abercrombie fan, I like how he writes with a mix of violence and humour, I've read other authors such as Scott Lynch, Brandon Sanderson and many others but find their books lack humour, can anyone please recommend any books that don't hold back on adult subject matter but also contain humour, thanks.
    I found Lynch's work to contain a fair degree of humour, but it sounds like you would enjoy Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, and Prince of Fools too which is much funnier while still dark and violent.

Quote Originally Posted by John_PQ View Post
    I found Lynch's work to contain a fair degree of humour, but it sounds like you would enjoy Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire trilogy, and Prince of Fools too which is much funnier while still dark and violent.
    I'm reading the Broken Empire Trilogy at the minute and it's great, thank you everyone for the recommendations.