Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

looking for Epic/Medieval fantasy without a crapload of main characters!

I have gotten back into medieval fantasy from rereading Robin Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer series so I could read Fool's Assassin. But now I can't find anything similar. I want a series where I don't have to focus on a ton of characters switching back and forth. I want to be able to really connect with a single main character. First person would be good, but third would be okay too as long as they stick with one character.

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan would be perfect. It is a single POV narrative. The sequel, Tower Lord, just came out, and it is still smaller in scope like what you wanted but it has four POV characters.

Carl Alves
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson would be a good way to go.

Pretty much anything written by Brandon Sanderson will work. You may also want to try out a new book on the scene which I am currently reading: Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I find it to be a good mix of pov's and main characters that makes it very easy to keep track of.

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Main character plus maybe 3 other POVs.

Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Main character plus maybe 3 other POVs.
    Forgot about that one. I loved Codex Alera.

Mark Lawrence writes in first person. Joe Abercrombie's recent Half a King is single POV, and his other stuff doesn't have tons of characters.

Neither of them are much like Hobb though (at all!) so it depends if you're looking for her style as well or just a small cast of characters.

Definitely agree to both Codex Alera and Stormlight Archives. Two of the most solid series I've ever read. I'd rank Stormlight Archives as the more epic, but Codex Alera has the benefit of already being completed, which is really nice.

Have yet to read Hobb but from what I know chances are big that you might enjoy Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

Arrow

Emperor's edge by Lindsay Buroker.
    Last edited by chongjasmine; September 22nd, 2014 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamheart View Post
    I have gotten back into medieval fantasy from rereading Robin Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer series so I could read Fool's Assassin. But now I can't find anything similar. I want a series where I don't have to focus on a ton of characters switching back and forth. I want to be able to really connect with a single main character. First person would be good, but third would be okay too as long as they stick with one character.
    Based on your criteria, I would recommend the Mageborn series by Michael Manning. It is literally the main character recounting his life.

Blood song by anthony ryan as previously mentioned, also the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss.

Hobbs farseer is my favorite series and these are the only books/series I have found so far that come close! read both you wont regret it.

I wasn't a big fan of bloodsong, but I recently read Peter V. Brett's demon cycle and really liked it

I think another reason I really liked the demon cycle is that the main character was very powerful too. Know of any like that?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Khale View Post
    Pretty much anything written by Brandon Sanderson will work. You may also want to try out a new book on the scene which I am currently reading: Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I find it to be a good mix of pov's and main characters that makes it very easy to keep track of.
    My book (Circle of Reign) does not have a lot of main characters, true, but there are many POVs. Probably not as much as ASOIAF, for sure, but more than Stormlight Archives unless you count the Interludes (which I guess you would). I loved how Sanderson structured those books, allowing you to meet many characters without interrupting the main narrative. I haven't seen that done before, but maybe it has been.

I'm also enjoying Michael Sullivan's Riyria series currently.