Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    8

    looking for Epic/Medieval fantasy without a crapload of main characters!

    I have gotten back into medieval fantasy from rereading Robin Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer series so I could read Fool's Assassin. But now I can't find anything similar. I want a series where I don't have to focus on a ton of characters switching back and forth. I want to be able to really connect with a single main character. First person would be good, but third would be okay too as long as they stick with one character.

  2. #2
    Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The island of Arylyn
    Posts
    1,523
    Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan would be perfect. It is a single POV narrative. The sequel, Tower Lord, just came out, and it is still smaller in scope like what you wanted but it has four POV characters.

  3. #3
    Carl Alves
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    82
    Elantris by Brandon Sanderson would be a good way to go.

  4. #4
    Pretty much anything written by Brandon Sanderson will work. You may also want to try out a new book on the scene which I am currently reading: Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I find it to be a good mix of pov's and main characters that makes it very easy to keep track of.

  5. #5
    Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    413
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Main character plus maybe 3 other POVs.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Main character plus maybe 3 other POVs.
    Forgot about that one. I loved Codex Alera.

  7. #7
    @PeteMC666 PeteMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,741
    Mark Lawrence writes in first person. Joe Abercrombie's recent Half a King is single POV, and his other stuff doesn't have tons of characters.

    Neither of them are much like Hobb though (at all!) so it depends if you're looking for her style as well or just a small cast of characters.

  8. #8
    Registered User Cerberus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    22
    Definitely agree to both Codex Alera and Stormlight Archives. Two of the most solid series I've ever read. I'd rank Stormlight Archives as the more epic, but Codex Alera has the benefit of already being completed, which is really nice.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    22
    Have yet to read Hobb but from what I know chances are big that you might enjoy Name of the Wind by Rothfuss.

  10. #10

    Arrow

    Emperor's edge by Lindsay Buroker.
    Last edited by chongjasmine; September 22nd, 2014 at 02:04 AM.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamheart View Post
    I have gotten back into medieval fantasy from rereading Robin Hobb's FitzChivalry Farseer series so I could read Fool's Assassin. But now I can't find anything similar. I want a series where I don't have to focus on a ton of characters switching back and forth. I want to be able to really connect with a single main character. First person would be good, but third would be okay too as long as they stick with one character.
    Based on your criteria, I would recommend the Mageborn series by Michael Manning. It is literally the main character recounting his life.

  12. #12
    Blood song by anthony ryan as previously mentioned, also the name of the wind by patrick rothfuss.

    Hobbs farseer is my favorite series and these are the only books/series I have found so far that come close! read both you wont regret it.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    8
    I wasn't a big fan of bloodsong, but I recently read Peter V. Brett's demon cycle and really liked it

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Posts
    8
    I think another reason I really liked the demon cycle is that the main character was very powerful too. Know of any like that?

  15. #15

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Khale View Post
    Pretty much anything written by Brandon Sanderson will work. You may also want to try out a new book on the scene which I am currently reading: Circle of Reign by Jacob Cooper. I find it to be a good mix of pov's and main characters that makes it very easy to keep track of.
    My book (Circle of Reign) does not have a lot of main characters, true, but there are many POVs. Probably not as much as ASOIAF, for sure, but more than Stormlight Archives unless you count the Interludes (which I guess you would). I loved how Sanderson structured those books, allowing you to meet many characters without interrupting the main narrative. I haven't seen that done before, but maybe it has been.

    I'm also enjoying Michael Sullivan's Riyria series currently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •