Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Analyze That
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyye View Post
    Malazan is complex, not confusing. Pon is confusing, but not very complex.
    You know what, I'd completely reverse this. Malazan is confusing, and that is completely on purpose by the authors. PoN is a much more complex, character based story, and really I didn't find anything confusing about it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by molybdenum View Post
    You know what, I'd completely reverse this. Malazan is confusing, and that is completely on purpose by the authors. PoN is a much more complex, character based story, and really I didn't find anything confusing about it at all.
    Yes. Also I feel that as the series go on, Erikson's multi POV, multi plot juggling act increasingly descends into a chaotic mess. There are many fascinating pieces in the books, but they are much less than the sum of their parts.

Which is more confusing?
    Chronologically? The Malazan Books of the Fallen.
    In any other way? Bakker.

I loved Kehlus in Bakker's books but I haven't gotten to the judging eye yet. Akka was pretty good except when he obsesses about his dilemas... which happens far too often. My biggest problem though is that there was so much sex in the books. It was (imho) pretty graphic in some scenes and really seemed unnecesary.

Based on characters and philosophy, Bakker is more complex. Based on plot Erickson is more complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Althax View Post
    I loved Kehlus in Bakker's books but I haven't gotten to the judging eye yet. Akka was pretty good except when he obsesses about his dilemas... which happens far too often. My biggest problem though is that there was so much sex in the books. It was (imho) pretty graphic in some scenes and really seemed unnecesary.

Based on characters and philosophy, Bakker is more complex. Based on plot Erickson is more complex.
    PoN isn't exactly YA, is it? On topic, I'd read Bakker first, then start Malazan.

True kirk, but it's just not my cup of tea to read stuff like that. If I'm worried or embarassed that my wife will see what I'm reading, I'm not totally comfortable reading it.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't find the Malazan books all that confusing. Of course there are issue with the books but the ride is always worth taking.

With the PoN books I also found them to be an easy read I just had a hard time with the characters as none of them had any redeeming qualities.

Both are decent it just depends on what you are in the mood for.