Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 132

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    SoT - Legend of the Seeker

    I have just started reading the second book and i also have season 1 and 2 of legend of the seeker.

    i watched the first two episodes and noticed that the show varies greatly, but what i want to know is does season 1 relate to book 1 and season 2 to book 2 etc, as i dont want to watch something that could ruin book 2 before i have read it.

  2. #2
    Supercalifragilistic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    302
    DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT watch the shows. They are terrible and have nothing to do with the books except for the names and places. Read the books they are good. However, you will find no love for the books here. Read them and judge for yourself.

    To answer your question, no, the show shouldn't ruin the books. But, the books will ruin the show, because you will see how the show has nothing do with the books. I would read book 2 first.

  3. #3
    Registered User Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Reading, PA
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidmyster View Post
    I have just started reading the second book and i also have season 1 and 2 of legend of the seeker.

    i watched the first two episodes and noticed that the show varies greatly, but what i want to know is does season 1 relate to book 1 and season 2 to book 2 etc, as i dont want to watch something that could ruin book 2 before i have read it.
    Yes, it seems that each season of the show takes on the plot of the book. Season 1 and book 1 both dealt with Darken Rahl. Season 2 and book 2 both deal with the Stone of Tears.

    The television series is what got me to pick up the books. I watched Season 1 and couldn't wait for it to come back on the air. I picked up the books and blew through them before Season 2 started.

    After having read all the books, and seeing how different Season 2 was from the books, I lost all interest in the show. I think I made it about half way through the second season before I stopped watching completely. I don't even both with the re-runs that pop up from time to time.

    Because the show is so loosely based on the books, I don't think watching it will ruin the books for you. However, I do think the books will ruin the show for you (they did for me anyway).

  4. #4
    im always going to read the books first

    thanks for answering the question.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Yes, it seems that each season of the show takes on the plot of the book. Season 1 and book 1 both dealt with Darken Rahl. Season 2 and book 2 both deal with the Stone of Tears.

    The television series is what got me to pick up the books. I watched Season 1 and couldn't wait for it to come back on the air. I picked up the books and blew through them before Season 2 started.

    After having read all the books, and seeing how different Season 2 was from the books, I lost all interest in the show. I think I made it about half way through the second season before I stopped watching completely. I don't even both with the re-runs that pop up from time to time.
    Same here. I watched the show and after 4 episodes of lackluster storytelling but interesting concepts I felt more could be gained from reading the books, even though I hated reading at the time. I pretty much finished all the books in a few weeks. I did occassionally go back to watch the episodes but gave up halfway thru the first season. LOTS is typical bad television. The silly, repetitive stories and horrible acting on seeker was too much for me.

    Because the show is so loosely based on the books, I don't think watching it will ruin the books for you. However, I do think the books will ruin the show for you (they did for me anyway).
    I have found that alot of ppl who were fans of the show stayed fans even after reading the books. Most appear to agree the tv show and books are equal in their storytelling, a small minority feel the show is better than the books and a number of curious fans find that they appreciate the show more after reading the books. I have no idea what this means exactly, but these have been my observations. I suppose if a ridiculous show like Smallville can develop a huge fanbase LOTS can certainly have their fans as well.

    @Sidmyster, you may want to read the books first, because as far apart as the tv show is to the novels, they're not completely spoiler free.

  6. #6
    Registered User Roland 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    814
    Or you could never again think of either the show or the books and read/watch something decent instead

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland 85 View Post
    Or you could never again think of either the show or the books and read/watch something decent instead
    Funny because its true.

  8. #8
    Registered User Aktunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    135
    I was ok with most of the books, at least up through Faith of the Fallen. After that they went way downhill with the author preaching the same thing over and over again. It really got to be ridiculous.

    The show, I actually enjoyed the show, but not because of any ties to the books. I decided it was something that I would look at completely on its own, and I was able to find it ok to watch. I basically enjoyed it in the same way someone might enjoy Xena the Warrior Princess or something similar. Not great TV, but it was ok for a Saturday afternoon :P

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland 85 View Post
    Or you could never again think of either the show or the books and read/watch something decent instead

    Or you could stop being pretentious and pompous.

  10. #10
    Registered User Roland 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    814
    There is nothing pretentious or pompous in stating a fact. The show is abominable, and the books are only marginally better. There are any number of better things both on TV and in Fantasy.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Historic Springfield
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Or you could stop being pretentious and pompous.
    But the show is really bad.
    Not just so-so bad or "it's not my cup of tea" bad, it is mind numbingly bad.

    Perhaps the production standards have improved since my early viewing?.. but if not it left me wondering how it ever made prime time.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Historic Springfield
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidmyster View Post
    I have just started reading the second book and i also have season 1 and 2 of legend of the seeker.

    i watched the first two episodes and noticed that the show varies greatly, but what i want to know is does season 1 relate to book 1 and season 2 to book 2 etc, as i dont want to watch something that could ruin book 2 before i have read it.

    This is beyond belief, have you people no taste whatsoever?

    When you state "that the show varies greatly" do you mean they vary between really-really-lame and so-bad-you-bury-your-head-in-a-pillow-because-it-is-too-painful-to-watch?

    Could they have possibly chosen a lead actor with less stage presence, a special effects crew with less talent, and a set designer with less sense of atmosphere?

    By god, the show actually made it to season two.
    What is the world coming to.
    Last edited by Sparrow; August 25th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    This is beyond belief, have you people no taste whatsoever?

    When you state "that the show varies greatly" do mean they vary between really-really-lame and so-bad-you-bury-your-head-in-a-pillow-because-it-is-too-painful-to-watch?

    Could they have possibly chosen a lead actor with less stage presence, a special effects crew with less talent, and a set designer with less sense of atmosphere?

    By god, the show actually made it to season two.
    What is the world coming to.
    you all need to jump off the hate wagon.
    I choose what i read and watch, i didnt ask whether i should watch it or not.

    i really liked the first book so i ill read the second.

    thanks again to those who answered my actual question.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Historic Springfield
    Posts
    1,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidmyster View Post
    you all need to jump off the hate wagon.
    I choose what i read and watch, i didnt ask whether i should watch it or not.

    i really liked the first book so i ill read the second.

    thanks again to those who answered my actual question.

    Neither the books or the tv show are worthy of anything so strong-felt as hate... a glancing amusement is all they get from me.

  15. #15
    Registered User Roland 85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    814
    Same. Goodkind himself is a bit more deserving of hate, but still remains bellow my radar. You can lower the Sword of Righteousness now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •