Smile Recommendation plz!!!!

Hello friends,
    I just joined today and tried very hard to search next reads…
    I was introduced in this genre when in the first year of my UG, I started with Harry potter…finished it and it was very appealing..from tht time till now since 5 years I have read, finished and loved the following:
    1. wheel of time series
    2. sword of truth
    3. terry books
    4. LOTR
    5. memory,sorrow and thorn
    6. magician apprentice
    7. shannara series
    8. the name of the wind
    9. reading tigana…
    10 GRRM reading…

I still really enjoy the series where a boy is destined to become someone great…I know you guys have read a lot of books so can you suggest me books like the above….i have tried a quite a few but I just don’t know ,I couldn’t find that satisfying feeling I felt when I read those books…the latest one being WOT series The Gathering Storm was just awesome…
    Please excuse me for my vocab…english is not my first lang..

THANKS....MAYANK

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well if you enjoyed Magician I'd say continue with that series. The Book of Words trilogy by J V Jones also fits what you're looking for. Also do a search for completed trilogies and save ya self the pain of waiting for the next book to be written.

From what you've listed liking I think you might enjoy the Eregon books by Christopher Peolini. I know the movie was bad but the books are better.

Since I've just been thinking about them I am going to recommend The Dresden files, they are set in the present day in Chicago, but have a huge amount of fantasy and are great fun. They are not on the same scale as most modern fantasies, though there are 12 books to date.

I would also suggest The Name of the Wind, which seems to be exactly what you are looking for and is the first in a very promising new series.

And don't read Eragon expecting it to be anywhere near as good as Harry Potter, apparently some people like it but, ah, so bad...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tillu View Post
    Hello friends, I just joined today and tried very hard to search next reads…
    I was introduced in this genre when in the first year of my UG, I started with Harry potter…finished it and it was very appealing..from tht time till now since 5 years I have read, finished and loved the following:
    1. wheel of time series
    2. sword of truth
    3. terry books
    4. LOTR
    5. memory,sorrow and thorn
    6. magician apprentice
    7. shannara series
    8. the name of the wind
    9. reading tigana…
    10 GRRM reading…

THANKS....MAYANK

Judging by most of the titles on that list you have a very high tolerance for pain.

You've seemed to have run through plenty of fantasy mush, why not step it up a level or two, or three? For instance, what about trying Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy, or Clive Barker's Abarat books; and if you really want something substantial... Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, by Susanna Clarke.

Just going to list the first books of the series:

Empire in Black and Gold
    Lies of Locke Lamora
    The Warded Man
    Mistborn
    The Way of Shadows
    Furies of Calderon
    The Blade Itself
    The Darkness that Comes Before
    The Great Book of Amber
    The Gunslinger
    The Book of Jhereg

That should wet your appetite.

Data Error
    Seems like you favor some high adventure tillu, try out "Legend" by Gemmel.

Hi Mayank

Welcome & from what everyone has recommended above, I'll just add in a few more:

1] David Gemmell

Check out his Drenai series which are mostly standalone novels with similar characters and their descendants.

here is their chronological order:
    - Waylander
    - Waylander 2
    - Hero in the shadows
    - The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    - The Legend of Deathwalker
    - White Wolf
    - Legend
    - The King Beyond the Gate
    - Quest for Lost Heroes
    - Winter Warriors
    - The Swords of Night and Day

Plus you can read them as a part of the Character series

Waylander series:
    - Waylander
    - Waylander 2
    - Hero in the shadows

Druss the Legend:
    - The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    - The Legend of Deathwalker
    - White Wolf
    - Legend

Skilgannon Series:
    - White Wolf [This books is primarily about Skilgannon but features Druss also in quite a prominent role]
    - The Swords of Night and Day

Stand alone titles:
    - The King Beyond the Gate
    - Quest for Lost Heroes [ If you read this after TKBTG, it will make more sense as it is a continuation of the storyline in the earlier book but with different characters and set nearly 20 years later]
    - Winter Warriors [ You should read this book after finishing Hero in the Shadows as the mythology of the villains in both the books will make much more sense]

His Rigante series is of 4 books mainly consisting of 2 duologies separated by 800 years:
    - Sword in the Storm
    - Midnight Falcon
    - Ravenheart
    - Stormrider

His best work IMO is his Troy trilogy:
    - Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow
    - Troy: Shield of Thunder
    - Troy: Fall of Kings

2] Sarah Ash

Her Tears of Artamon trilogy is really superb storytelling with a large cast of characters and is really great story telling:
    - Lord of Snow and Shadows
    - Prisoner of Ironsea Tower
    - Children of the Serpent Gate

Also she recently finished The Alchemyst's legacy, which is connected to her earlier trilogy and makes great reading with its tie-ins via mythology & characters:
    - Tracing the Shadow
    - Flight into Darkness

3] Jim Butcher

He writes urban fantasy about a wizard in Chicago, The series gets better as the series progresses. Its currently upto 12 books & it is indeed rocking. The books are
    - Storm Front
    - Fool Moon
    - Grave Peril
    - Summer Knight
    - Death Masks
    - Blood Rites
    - Dead Beat
    - Proven Guilty
    - White Night
    - Small Favor
    - Turn Coat
    - Changes

Also here's some short stories about Harry http://www.jim-butcher.com/dresden/short/

He has also written a traditional epic fantasy series called Codex Alera, which is about a place called Alera where most people can control the elements such as Wind, Fire, Air, Earth, Metal & Wood by means of furies/spirits. The books are:
    - Furies of Calderon
    - Academ's Fury
    - Cursor's Fury
    - Captain's Fury
    - Princeps Fury
    - First Lord's Fury

These books are centered around the Central protagonist called Tavi & a few other characters who are all given POV's. These books are fast fun reads & more mystery & backstory is revealed via each book.

With the Sarah Ash & Jim Butcher books you do get "boy/person is destined to become someone great" however all have twists to it in some form or the other.

Mihir

PS: Where are you from in India, I used to live in Mumbai/Bombay.

Hi tillu

We get a lot of "what can I read next" threads on just about a daily basis. We find that such posts usually get the same response. Actually looking at what's already on the Web site or utilizing our SEARCH function will usually answer most people's requests. Perhaps it is uncommon, but we like people to have a look around rather than just demand (even if it's polite!) immediate gratification for their own personal needs.

With such a large and complex site it can be difficult to see everything going on, admittedly. But if people think that there's answers out there they will point people in the general direction.

So, rather than people coming here and repeating the recommendations they've provided in other threads, I'll direct you to some of those threads:

The New and Improved Recommendation - Fantasy / Horror
    If you like ^^^^^ then you might like #####
    Looking for something 'magical'.
    Gimme some good adventure books! (Similar to Three Musketeers,Locke Lamora or Sharpe)
    Book that just blew your mind....
    Just started in Epic Fantasy - What to read?

Looking to start new series
    Need help picking new fantasy series to read
    **looking For Fantasy Trilogies**
    Hopefully putting this in the right place (looking for a new series to read)

my next series to read
    Fantasy series
    Looking to start new series

All that having been said, I'm closing this thread.