Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Any decent new SF out there?

Looking at the Sci-Fi Lists Top 100 (http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html) I realize that I have read every book on the list at least once, and most twice or more. Some I have read a minimum of 10 times; Ender's Game, Dune, HHGG, Stranger in a Strange Land, Fahrenheit 451, 2001, Ringworld, etc... I realized that I have not come across any recent Sci-Fi that I could add to this list. So the question is... can anybody recommend a book, not on this list, that will be in ten years? What would be your 'new' classic?

Really need to know.... dying to read something new!

Thanks!

Last year on my blog I compiled a list of 20 SF novels published in the las 20 years that I recommend. Since it was intended for a Spanish audience, I restricted myself to works that have been translated into Spanish (and the posts are in Spanish, but I think it is not difficult to understand, at least, the titles and authors):

http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot...-han-sido.html
    http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot...n-sido_19.html
    http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot...n-sido_25.html
    http://sentidodelamaravilla.blogspot...n-sido_28.html

Hope you find something there that strikes your fancy

Peter Watts: Blindsight
    Charles Stross: Glasshouse
    Greg Egan (anything basically)
    Kameron Hurley: God's War

Probably not the types of SF for everyone, but books that ought to last.

John Sclazi Old Man's War
    James S.A. Corey Leviathan Wakes
    Hugh Howey Wool Omnibus Edition
    Robert Charles Wilson Spin
    Hannu Rajaniemi The Quantum Thief
    Charles Stross Accelerando

Alien Deception and Alien Revelations by Tony Ruggiero are two books I want to finish. They combine X-Files with Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    John Sclazi Old Man's War
    James S.A. Corey Leviathan Wakes
    Hugh Howey Wool Omnibus Edition
    Robert Charles Wilson Spin
    Hannu Rajaniemi The Quantum Thief
    Charles Stross Accelerando
    Great list. I have very high praise for the fist on it, Leviathan Wakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewHKH View Post
    Looking at the Sci-Fi Lists Top 100 (http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html) I realize that I have read every book on the list at least once, and most twice or more. Some I have read a minimum of 10 times; Ender's Game, Dune, HHGG, Stranger in a Strange Land, Fahrenheit 451, 2001, Ringworld, etc... I realized that I have not come across any recent Sci-Fi that I could add to this list. So the question is... can anybody recommend a book, not on this list, that will be in ten years? What would be your 'new' classic?

Really need to know.... dying to read something new!

Thanks!
    That is quite a lot of reading! There is a best sci-fi of the century (i.e. the last 13 years) list on goodreads that you could check. I find it unfathomable that you could love the older stuff but not find quite a bit on there that you would love as well. Will any of it make the best ever list in 10 years? No idea.

2312, Kim Stanley Robinson
    Intrusion, Ken MacLeod
    God's War, Infidel, Rapture, Kameron Hurley
    Machine, Jennifer Pelland
    vN, Madeline Ashby
    Up Against It, MJ Locke
    Dark Eden, Chris Beckett
    Empty Space, M John Harrison
    Osama, Lavie Tidhar
    The Universe of Things, Gwyneth Jones

... all from within the last year or two...

I'll echo Spin and Ready Player One already mentioned and add Christopher Priest's The Islanders and Yellow Blue Tibia by Adam Roberts.

And Adam's Jack Glass too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ian_sales View Post
    2312, Kim Stanley Robinson
    Intrusion, Ken MacLeod
    God's War, Infidel, Rapture, Kameron Hurley
    Machine, Jennifer Pelland
    vN, Madeline Ashby
    Up Against It, MJ Locke
    Dark Eden, Chris Beckett
    Empty Space, M John Harrison
    Osama, Lavie Tidhar
    The Universe of Things, Gwyneth Jones

... all from within the last year or two...
    Oh no, not 2312.... I'm going cry, sob, weep... generally blub, sulk and go off in a huff.

I've fulfilled a lifelong dream and spent 5 months traveling through Australia from the end of september 2012. The last book i bought was Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Has anything worth reading been released during the last 5 months? I have basically been off the grid for those 5 months, so any recommendations are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbb View Post
    I've fulfilled a lifelong dream and spent 5 months traveling through Australia from the end of september 2012. The last book i bought was Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton. Has anything worth reading been released during the last 5 months? I have basically been off the grid for those 5 months, so any recommendations are welcome.
    Sorry mate, but its completely unfair to ask us for help without providing any stories from your journey, such as the time you rescued the baby koola, almost got eaten by a dingo, or snuck off with those two aboriginal girls, and learned the hard way that the concept of a "shotgun" wedding is a cultural universal
    Last edited by ArtNJ; March 9th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Oliver View Post
    Oh no, not 2312.... I'm going cry, sob, weep... generally blub, sulk and go off in a huff.
    Yes, yes, yes, 2312. Great book. Possibly a future classic. Time will tell. A Hugo best novel win would help cement its place in history (or Nebula best novel).

There are two other SF books I've recently read that I enjoyed, which might shape up to be future classics.

One is Wool by Hugh Howey. I enjoyed the book, even though I could see its flaws (internal logic that doesn't hold up, sentimentality, cliche). But worse books have gone on to be considered classics, and like I said, I liked it and I'm not the only one as its obviously proven to be quite popular.

The other is The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord. I'm not sure it's building enough buzz to become a future classic, but it is really quite good and Karen Lord is building a name for herself with a series of award wins (for her first novel, not this, which is her second, but it has only just been released).

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Yes, yes, yes, 2312. Great book. Possibly a future classic. Time will tell. A Hugo best novel win would help cement its place in history (or Nebula best novel).
    Nooooooo..... you can't seriously mean it.... please tell me you don't....