Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend me some Noir/Detective type Sci fi

So i like this dark Noir type sci fi With detective type roles. Think Altered Carbon. Now i'm not to big on sci fi and well versed in its authors.

Authors i have read and like are obviously
    Richard morgan
    Warren Hammond
    Alastair reynolds
    Peter Hamilton (great north road was good about all i read )
    Have read some
    William Gibson

Also liked Anthony Ryan's Slab city blues has that exact feel im looking for

So please help me out with some recommendation. Dont have to be detective private I style but some good Noir hard sci fi would be just fine

Cheers Pub

Maybe "The Icarus Hunt" by Timothy Zahn? I haven't read it, but it's been recommended to me as a detective type SF novel.

If you're not averse to fantasy, then definitely the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The first few volumes are very average, though very easy to read and full of snarks. They are also quite short, so it wasn't a problem for me to give the subsequent volumes a go. They progressively get better and have a bit of an addictive quality to them. The Dresden Files definitely fit the pulp-noir bill.

I guess you've already read "Chasm City" and "The Prefect" by Reynolds. Have you also read "Black Man" and "Market Forces" by Richard K. Morgan? Early examples that incorporate such elements are Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination" and "The Demolished Man". Both excellent novels from the '50s. For relatively newer works, give Jonathem Lethem's "Gun with Occasional Music" a go - haven't read it but I've heard lots of acclaim for the novel - and also George Alec Effinger's "When Gravity Fails" for a cyberpunk-ish, detective story in a middle-eastern setting. Then there's also Neal Stephen's "Snow Crash", another cyberpunk novel which contains elements of what you're looking for. For a comedic take on the detective/sci-fi genre, you could try Douglas Adams' "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency".

If you think that alternate history is science fiction, you might like “The Yiddish Policemen's Union” by Michael Chabon which is almost a homage to detective story writers such as Chandler.

“Voice of the Whirlwind” by Walter Jon Williams is more mainstream science fiction starring a clone who awakes without the last fifteen years of his original's memories because the original has not updated them. Unfortunately, the clone needs to find out what has happened as his precursor has been murdered and the murderer may not know about the failure to update. The same author's “Days of Atonement” is a combination of science fiction with a police procedural.

Elizabeth Bear's Jenny Casey trilogy of Hammered, Scardown and Worldwired may also be sufficiently noir for your consideration. You might also like her “Undertow” for its pleasant characters – well as pleasant as hired killers can be expected to be – or “Carnival”, which has one or two examples of disloyalty, although those are not detective stories.

Going back to the theme of science fiction with a detective as the point of view character, I could suggest “Leviathan Wakes” by the James S. A. Corey collaboration although it is more classic space opera than detective story.

Memory by Lois McMaster Bujold would be regarded as a crime/mystery novel.

I am not sure if it qualifies as noir. I thought that was an aspect of film.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; October 19th, 2014 at 11:54 AM.

The City & the City

China Miéville's The City & the City should tick your boxes ...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-city-the-city

Thanks guys ill check some of them out,

Bacchus, Yes i have read chasm city that's one of the books that's right up my alley So was The Black Man thought that was excellent.

I have also read some of the dresden files though im not big on paranormal urban fantasy type stuff Dresden files is pretty good it's about as paranormal as i like to get (supernatural tv show i hate it).

Have also read snowcrash cyberpunk has a good many aspects i like in sci fi and ive read a few probably not as much as i should. I'm actually struggling through Cryptonomicon ATM

I'll check out some of the others you mentioned.

Mostlyharmless.

I have read James SA Corey's Expanse Series I really enjoyed this sort the hard sci fi i liked not keen on vomit zombies but the first book with its detective storyline really got me into it. Also a big fan of daniel abraham's fantasy.

I havent heard of any of those others you've mentioned so will give them a look. I wish there was more fantasy that went down this path i found a few like Daniel Polansky and Steven Brust among others have some decent detective type fantasy.

Psikeyhacker I guess noir is mainly a film term but i think it comes across quite well into fantasy and sci fi. I guess it gives a good description or feel of what i like read. I have heard abut Lois McMaster Bujold from this forum and seems to be popular amongst sci fi readers so ill check it out

Darkflow i havent read much china mieville i tend to steer away from his fantasy but from the goodreads blurb it looks good.

Please anyone else have suggestions keep them coming

Cheers
    Last edited by Pub; October 19th, 2014 at 07:34 AM.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    did anybody mention The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun by Asimov? I remember they are pretty dark for a crime mystery and with enough science in them.

One of my favorites is a A Lee Martinez, who writes in a lighter mode, but his Automatic Detective incorporates most of the noir detective elements.

Greg Egan's Quarantine has a private detective as the narrator. He has a slightly disturbed background which might fit the noir criterion but, unusually for the genre, the story causes him to join a group of “like minded” individuals.

“Spin State”, “Spin Control” and “Ghost Spin” by Chris Moriarty are frequently compared with the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11339114-ghost-spin .

S. Andrew Swann's Moreau stories, “Forests of the Night”, “Emperors of the Twilight” and “Specters of the Dawn” http://www.sandrewswann.com/books/the-moreau-omnibus have been described as how Robert Ludlum would write science fiction (I am not an expert on Ludlum, so I do not know if the description is accurate).

Since you also read fantasy, you probably know about Glen Cook's Garret series but just in case I will recommend those, starting with the first Sweet Silver Blues.

The Retrieval Artist series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch and the three Greg Mandel books by Peter F. Hamilton.

Niven's Gil Hamilton stories, maybe (collected in Flatlander). Not sure about "noir" (as I'm not sure how it applies to books) but they're detective stories set in a relatively dystopian future Earth (organ banks for convicted criminals including minor crimes and "organleggers" who kidnap people to break up for parts) and feature a police agent for the UN whose job it is to root out both organleggers and proscribed technology.

Noir by K.W. Jeter

Nightside City by Lawrence Watt-Evans

(maybe) The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, but you should read it regardless

KOP by Warren Hammond
    Last edited by Waiting; October 28th, 2014 at 12:03 AM.

Haha, not too be shameless, but what about my book (currently just $0.99) ? "Praying For The Surgeon"

Otherwise you may try the Tex Murphy series. There are three books AFAIK but I have only read the first one, "Under A Killing Moon".

Also "Forests of the Night" by Swan, a furry ( ) take on sci-fi noir!

I only know of 2 like this, and they were both really good books:

Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds

Nova Swing by M. John Harrison

The great thing about Nova Swing is that you will need to read Light beforehand

Hey guys thanks for more recommendations . Havent had a chance to get many of these but i got a copy of Voice of the Whirlwind by Walter Jon Williams. Really liking it Just the type of sci fi i like. Might not be so much Noir/Detective but it has a very similar feel to it as Altered Carbon.

So thanks MostlyHarmless excellent recommendation. I'll check out some of the others you have mentioned.

algernoninc I kind of avoid Asimov, not sure why i have read some of his other stuff but dont why i avoid it. But i'll check out your other recommendation.

Bobbb should have mentioned in my first post that i had read more hamilton and have forgotten about it Have read all the greg mandell novels.

Patched your offering sounds interesting i'll have to check that one out.

Waiting, i have read KOP and its other series and quite liked hem i should read more phillip k dick i havent got around to it but have been meaning to for a while i dont mind a bit of cyberpunk. Noir sounds exactly like what im looking for funnily enough will check it out.

FDL ill check yours out its not 99c for me but 3.62 is not a bad price sounds like something id be interested in reading. Thanks.

Livens Hve read century rain well i've read everything Alastair Reynolds. I like his style of sci fi. I'll check out nova swing and lights froma quick google theyd look like good books.

Well seems to be plenty to keep me busy for a while thanks guys n girls

The Investigation by Stanislaw Lem.