Looking for a reccomendation

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the science-fiction genre. I have recently seen Prometheus and Interstellar and was extremely intrigued with the idea of a (fairly) near feature where Humanity is exploring the stars for the first time or for a new place to live.

I know that's fairly broad but any similar series or individual novels that you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SolarHeart View Post
    Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the science-fiction genre. I have recently seen Prometheus and Interstellar and was extremely intrigued with the idea of a (fairly) near feature where Humanity is exploring the stars for the first time or for a new place to live.

I know that's fairly broad but any similar series or individual novels that you guys could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    The first two books of Alastair Reynold's Poseidon's Children series are out and are about exactly this subject. I've only read the first one, which took a little while to get going, but as Reynolds is my favorite sci-fi author, I stuck with it and it paid off. I look forward to reading the second one. Their titles are:

Blue Remembered Earth
    On the Steel Breeze

Also, coming out very soon in the US is Stephen Baxter's book, Proxima that is also on this exact subject. I have not read it either but am eagerly wanting to. I commend all of these to you!

I'm reading the Boundary Series by Eric Flint and Ryk Spoor right now. really enjoying it. Mankind's first steps into our solar systems in search of ancient alien bases. Space Travel is grounded in real life physics. I am really enjoying this series.

A personal Favorite about colonizing a new world is Legacy of Heorot and Beowulf's Children by Niven/Pournell/Barnes.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/57281.Boundary?ac=1

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...of_Heorot?ac=1

Jim

James S.A. Corey's Expanse series. At the beginning of it, we've colonized the solar system, but we haven't managed anything beyond that. It's also a fast-paced story with strong characters.

I've read the first two of the expanse series, great stuff but not really about exploration. But a very enjoyable read so far. gonna start #3 soon.

Gregory Benford: In The Ocean Of Night and Across The Sea Of Suns - it's actually the latter that is an exploration novel, the former is more of an alien artifact novel but you get far more from the sequel with the background from the first.

Second the nomination for Proxima. Don't judge it just on the early part of the novel, it takes you somewhere that you don't expect.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I've read the first two of the expanse series, great stuff but not really about exploration. But a very enjoyable read so far. gonna start #3 soon.
    Yeah, I guess it doesn't get to the exploration aspect until book 4, which was probably my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarHeart View Post

Thanks!
    I had no idea Interstellar was a movie that would be coming out - and was busily writing my own story about the subject, but from a slightly different angle.

My story is pure sci-fi, but unlike most of the sci-fi that is being released that pictures a dystopian future, a toxic wasteland and a hell on Earth, my book takes an entirely opposite approach - what if there's a positive future for humanity - what if we get the help we need, what then?

Please take a look at my book: Tu & The Collectors - it's on Amazon -http://www.amazon.com/Tu-Collectors-Tom-Schaefer/dp/1502353393/

Last edited by tomncoffee; November 23rd, 2014 at 06:35 PM.

Ender's game!

Hey bud, I've got the book for you if you haven't read it yet. Ender's game, its def one of the best sci-fi books ever. Full of moral dilemmas and concepts way ahead of its time. Just read it trust me
    Ender's game ebook

Quote Originally Posted by Pikou View Post
    Hey bud, I've got the book for you if you haven't read it yet. Ender's game, its def one of the best sci-fi books ever. Full of moral dilemmas and concepts way ahead of its time. Just read it trust me
    Ender's game ebook
    I saw Ender's Game - the movie - it was great on special effects, and Harrison Ford did a great job of being angry and heartless most of the time.

The problem with most sci-fi on the market is that it all depicts a dystopian future, humanity being invaded, enslaved and destroyed by aliens or by its own stupidity, scavenging and living in the rubble of a toxic wasteland.

I took a decidedly different approach to my novel, that perhaps we have friends out there more interested in helping us than destroying us.
    Last edited by tomncoffee; November 28th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomncoffee View Post
    I saw Ender's Game - the movie - it was great on special effects, and Harrison Ford did a great job of being angry and heartless most of the time.

The problem with most sci-fi on the market is that it all depicts a dystopian future, humanity being invaded, enslaved and destroyed by aliens or by its own stupidity, scavenging and living in the rubble of a toxic wasteland.

I took a decidedly different approach to my novel, that perhaps we have friends out there more interested in helping us than destroying us.
    My all time favorite book is Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell. It has humans as the advanced race making contact with an alien less advanced race. Hijinks ensue.

Jim

Sci-Fi Publisher

Agony

I just read The Agony of the Gods by Tom Wolosz and think this is a pretty new and unique book.
    Great recommendations by the way. I love this forum.

For a "classic" look at this subject you might want to try "Time For The Stars" by Robert Heinlein. The book focuses on early exploration if the universe. It's one of Heinlein's "juveniles" but don't let that put you off - his books for young adults were just as smart as his other books.

Cheers

Dave

There are a lot of books with this premise, but, for a new comer, I can't imagine anything would be better than The Expanse series by James S.A. Corey. Start with Leviathan Wakes. It's a great series and even better for new comers. Science fiction novels tend to be a big harder to digest than others genres so it would probably be best to start here.