Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Free SF ebooks

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    The Brain, by Alexander Blade
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/32498...-h/32498-h.htm

The movie GOG was derived from that story.
    This is a recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    This is a recommendation?
    ROFL

Not really, just an interesting historical detail.

The names of the robots killing a few people and the secret government installation and automatic controls are the same. But the entire basis for what is happening is different. The movie has foreign agents using some kind of stealth plane to remotely control the computer. The book is completely different and the solution to the problem in the book isn't even mentioned in the movie.

That movie was made long before I could even have understood it. So I try to judge it from a 1954 perspective. Maybe it really isn't as bad as I thought it was the first time I saw it considering when it was made. But the acting is pretty poor but that has nothing to do with the book.

I think The Brain is better than Considr Phlebas.

psik

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In my email box today, from Phoenix Pick:

October's Free EBook is Canadian author, Terence M. Green's 'Barking Dogs.'

Mitch Helwig is a cop who has gone over the edge. He's got a Barking Dog--an infallible, illegal lie-detector, worn under street clothes--and he's tired of being lied to. He's become a criminal's worst nightmare.

"The near-future cop-thriller is a growing sub-genre, in which old-time heroes walk the dark and subtly altered mean streets of a cityscape we can all identify from Blade Runner. Barking Dogs is the first novel to turn Toronto into one of those darkly menacing cities."--The Toronto Star

"A real page-turner... Not to be missed."--Locus

"A thrill-a-minute story of vigilante justice and a nuanced, well-observed character study."--Robert J. Sawyer

The Coupon Code for September is 9991566. Instructions and download link (as usual) at:

www.PPickings.com.

The new book will be available from October 2 through October 31st.

--------------------------------------------------

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    That movie was made long before I could even have understood it. So I try to judge it from a 1954 perspective. Maybe it really isn't as bad as I thought it was the first time I saw it considering when it was made.
    For those tempted to watch Gog here's what I thought of it when I first saw it. The book has GOT to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    For those tempted to watch Gog here's what I thought of it when I first saw it. The book has GOT to be better.
    The movie is pretty bad by even 60s standard. But surprisingly reading The Brain made me remember it. The similarities were just too obvious. Then I checked the dates, 1948 book and 1954 movie.

One really funny thing I remembered was an incident in a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where Data was trapped in a room with a laser trying to "kill" him was almost exactly like a scene in Gog where a solar mirror was after a woman.

Sci-fi is just SO unoriginal!

psik

Now I remember, Home Soil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Soil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwYE9h6Scw
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; September 30th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Fantasy & Sci-Fi Author Wayne Clarke's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll bet my lunch that you'll love this book!

I'm giving away my first science fiction novel for free in order to raise my public profile, and it's working quite well, thank you!

People Of The Tiger, Book One of The Rational Future Series, received an average score of 9.37 out of 10 from over 20,000 fans over 3 months on the first fiction site I posted it to. I've received hundreds of glowing fan letters about it, and many have told me that it's the best book they've ever read, or that I'm now one of their favorite authors.

It's also one of the most unique sci-fi books out there; I've definitely never read anything remotely like it. It has a rousing story with plenty of action, adventure, and emotion, set in a beautiful utopian future based on my own bio-sociological research, which is based on the work of Prof. Edward O. Wilson and Dr. Edmond Morris. There are definitely solutions to the global problems that we're facing, and this story is set in a future where those solutions have been implemented. It inspires hope for a better future in almost everyone who reads it.

It's available on my website in two editions that use metric or American measurements, and they are available in 4 ebook formats; PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, and Microsoft Reader.

http://wayneedwardclarke.viviti.com/

Darwood & Smitty

Someone ask for free sci-fi books?

Just released my new sci-fi novel today. Stores'll be able to order it if there's demand, but that has to build. For now, it's in print on Amazon. And it's free on my website but not as a download. And it'll come out a chapter at a time.

So depending on when you read this message, just the first chapter could be up, or all 30.

It's set in 2045. Government's gone global and is, as always, relatively corrupt. We have an alien police force. And a glimmer of hope -- a president (of Earth) who actually wants to curb the influence of special interests.

This is a humorous adventure and is more about commentary (especially political) than details of future science, although this is of course part of the deal too. (Wait till you see the "sexy" console on the Plutonian ship.)

Would love to have you stop by for a look. If website reading isn't for you, at least it showcases the book for you before you spend anything on print. Hope to have it ready for Kindle soon too.

You can use coupon code YA63R to get a free copy of my book at Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/24547

And while we're on the topic, whose leg do I have to hump around here to get a review? My book has been the number 1 Sci-Fi book at Smashwords for a while now (displacing the Spinward Fringe books) but I'm an independent author and it's difficult to get anyone to take a look.

Is anyone here interested? You can download the book at the link, or I'd be happy to e-mail you a copy in the format of your choice if you'd like to do a review.

Thanks!

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Warhammer's Black Library is releasing one free book a week for the month of October every friday (I think it is friday) so check it out.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital

1CoolNerd The Lord of all Things Inane's Avatar
    I had no idea there were actually free things available in this world. I am having trouble processing the idea. I am pretty much new to computers.
    Thanks for the tip. Land of Nod, I will try to check out your book, I won't promise because I am having trouble getting things to open on this computer.
    CDN

Quote Originally Posted by Rozinante View Post
    I had no idea there were actually free things available in this world. I am having trouble processing the idea. I am pretty much new to computers.
    Thanks for the tip. Land of Nod, I will try to check out your book, I won't promise because I am having trouble getting things to open on this computer.
    CDN
    Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I have been told that it's a little confusing because once you enter your e-mail at Smashwords you have to go back and confirm and then it doesn't automatically download. But once you have used the coupon code, you should have access to all versions of it to downlaod whenever you want.

There are also a lot of other free offerings on the Smashwords site, so it's probably worth figuring out and registering with them.

Let me know if you have any trouble figuring it out. Not only may I be able to help you, but it could be useful to me to help others in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Land of Nod View Post
    Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I have been told that it's a little confusing because once you enter your e-mail at Smashwords you have to go back and confirm and then it doesn't automatically download. But once you have used the coupon code, you should have access to all versions of it to downlaod whenever you want.

There are also a lot of other free offerings on the Smashwords site, so it's probably worth figuring out and registering with them.

Let me know if you have any trouble figuring it out. Not only may I be able to help you, but it could be useful to me to help others in the future.
    Okay, I signed up, and will work my way through the steps. It looks like a cool idea(from the blurb). How would I review it? Assuming, of course, that I can master all the neccessary skills to download it.
    CDN

Land of Nod,
    I started reading your book, and it is pretty darn good. I appreciate the heads up, I have been starved for a good read for over a week now. Thanks again.
    CDN

Quote Originally Posted by Rozinante View Post
    Land of Nod,
    I started reading your book, and it is pretty darn good. I appreciate the heads up, I have been starved for a good read for over a week now. Thanks again.
    CDN
    Thank you. It means a lot to know that people are enjoying it.

Exclamation Ultimate free SF book Web-site

I almost hate to post this link, but .....

I'd like to know if anyone else has found this great resource.
    Last edited by Hobbit; October 21st, 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Link removed. See post below. Hobbit