Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free SF ebooks

Is it only me, or do the books from Phoenix have some formating errors? Every once in a while a word is split up. It is a minor ann o yance, but it does take away some of the joy.

I have downloaded the mobi version and sent it to my kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbb View Post
    While the link to the free baen.com library has already been posted i'd like to point to a specific book which is available there for free: Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan, my all-time favourite book. Not because it's necessarily the best book i ever read but it is the reason why i started reading books at all:

http://www.webscription.net/p-584-in...the-stars.aspx

No action, no lovestory, no mean aliens, no fights, no ftl travel, it's the story of a scientific mystery and how it gets solved.
    Hey, thanks for the link!

I downloaded it, and am about half way through and liking it. It really leans towards the science side of things, which makes it interesting.

I think I'm going to have to check out the rest in Hogan's "Giant" series...

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Hey, thanks for the link!

I downloaded it, and am about half way through and liking it. It really leans towards the science side of things, which makes it interesting.

I think I'm going to have to check out the rest in Hogan's "Giant" series...
    I would recommend that. Hogan's Giant Series is one of my guilty pleasures. It is not as popular as most books but I really enjoyed them. The "Big Idea" that it contains are interesting.

FREE for 1 day, my sci-fi book- eneter coupon code WM97J http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/33449
    preview here:

CH 1

The pitch black night sky was shattered by a piercing scream, “HEWWWWWWW!!!!!” Mr. Diddles retrieved his lock pick kit and ran away to avoid being captured by The Karate Guys. They chased him down that dimly lit alleyway, on that cold crisp December night, nun chucks flailing wildly like a gang of cats fighting in a potato sack. Mr. Diddles wanted nothing more but to be home watching the rugby game and drinking a Boar Cocoa. That would be a long way off because he hadn’t even managed to break into the McRonald’s Corporate Headquarters Office Department of Redundancy Department office. His plans had once again been thwarted by those damn Karate Guys.

He continued to run, just barely ahead of the pursuing enemies. He looked exactly like Chuck Norris except his face was really different, he had black hair, he was quite a bit taller, and he dressed in a completely different style…More like a half goth half Mormon missionary guy style.

He reached into his left pocket, and in dismay he realized there was a hole. “Ah son of a….!” He quickly checked his other pocket and with much relief found he had a secret surprise stashed on the right side as well (and it hadn’t fallen out through a hole). As he pulled his stuff out of his pants, he turned around to face The Karate Guys. Almost in slow motion his hand went back and then forward, releasing a pink sparkly dust that froze above the heads of The Karate Guys and then exploded like a sack of chicken eggs left in the hot Arizona desert for five weeks. The Karate Guys stopped their pursuit and wiped their eyes frantically. One of the masked hoodlums exclaimed, “This pepper spray is very strong!”

The leader, Skwizzmar Coofer, slapped him silly in the face. “That wasn’t pepper spray, you fool! That was black magic! Voodoo! Hu-ju! And now he has escaped again! You Karate Guys! Stop crying and straighten yourselves up! You all look like a bag of smashed assholes!”

Mr. Diddles had many reasons to hate The Karate Guys. They wrote a lot of bad stuff about him on Facebook, they were always cock blocking, and of course they were always thwarting his top secret missions. Is it ofcourse or of course? Hold on, turning spell check on…

Ok. Currently he was working for the C.I.A.- errr I mean ummm some guy Michael Moore knew in high school uhhh in Canada ehh some guy’s cousin. Oops. This “cousin”, we’ll call him Uncle Sam, was paying him $175 to retrieve a file from the McRonald’s Corporate Headquarters Office Department of Redundancy Department office. It wasn’t a lot of money, but that was fine with him. It would be enough to buy a used air hockey table with a few bucks left over to buy a can of Boar Cocoa, but above all he’d be able to live his life dream, to be a super hero!

The story didn’t end up being long enough, so I’m adding this sentence here to fatten it up a bit.

Mr. Diddles made it to his apartment after making sure The Karate Guys hadn’t followed him. He reached in his pocket for his keys, but there it was; that hole again. God damn it he thought to himself as he sat on his door step. The apartment manager wouldn’t answer at this time of night, and he didn’t have the kind of cash it took to get a locksmith to come out. He sighed in resignation and pulled his lock pick kit close to him and used it as a pillow while he slept.

He woke up the next day at 3:30 in the afternoon, found the manager, and had him unlock his front door. It was a bitterly cold day, so as soon as he got inside he shut the large bay view window in the front room.

He was surprised when he entered his spare room/office and saw his assistant, known only as BH, sitting at his kitchen table. He wasn’t surprised about BH being in his apartment uninvited, he was surprised the kitchen table was in his office. It should have been in the kitchen.

“So ya wanna tell me what happened last night?” She said to him in a seductive whisper. The lawn service was mowing just outside the window so he had a hard time hearing her.

“HUH?!” He yelled.

She repeated herself, in the same whisper. The mowing began to get so loud it shook the walls and rattled the windows. She tried again, this time screaming at the top of her lungs.

“WHAT?!” He still couldn’t hear her.

She tried again. Mr. Diddles attempted to read her lips.

“WHAT DID I HAVE FOR DINNER LAST NIGHT? WHY?!”

“No, no no,” she said. Just then Bobby Bill Thornton, a contact for Uncle Sam, waltzed into the room. He was texting. Mr. Diddles felt his cell phone vibrating so he pulled it out and read the text.

12/14/10 3:48 P.M.

Sender: B.B. Thornton (916) 555- 6291

You couldn’t hear me knocking so I came in. I have important news for you.

Mr. Diddles texted back:

12/14/10 3:50 P.M.

Sender: Morton Diddles (916) 555- 1638

OK so what is it buddy?

He received Thornton’s reply:

12/14/10 3:51 P.M.

Sender: B.B. Thornton (916) 555- 6291

Get ready to die mother****er!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Couple of offers from Phoenix Pick:

This month we are offering (by popular request) Nancy Kress' Hugo and Nebula nominated novella, Act One.

Gardner Dozois of Locus writes that Act One is “one of the best of the year...a compelling novella about a once-famous actress and her devoted manager who get much more publicity of an unfortunate sort when they inadvertently become embroiled with an act of biological terrorism with potentially world-changing results.”

As a special bonus we are also offering a short story by Nebula and Hugo winning author, Alexei Panshin (author of Rite of Passage and The World Beyond the Hill). The short, "Sky Blue," is included in the critically acclaimed anthology published by Phoenix Pick, Farewell to Yesterday's Tomorrow.

The Coupon Code for January is 9992365. Instructions and download link (as usual) at:

http://www.PPickings.com.

The new book will be available from January 2nd through January 31st.
    Happy readings, and best wishes for a great 2011.
    Mark
    Mark

Hey all. I just wanted to share a collection Of Harry Harrison books:

Here is the link to the amazing Stainless Steel Rat books (yep all 10 of em):
    And this one is just some of the other Harry Harrison books that i found:

Cheers! Ow one more thing, you will have to fill in an annoying survey to download the files, but i think that Slippery Jim is well worth it! =D
    Last edited by Hobbit; January 3rd, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fenix View Post
    Hey all. I just wanted to share a collection Of Harry Harrison books:

Here is the link to the amazing Stainless Steel Rat books (yep all 10 of em):

And this one is just some of the other Harry Harrison books that i found:

Cheers! Ow one more thing, you will have to fill in an annoying survey to download the files, but i think that Slippery Jim is well worth it! =D
    I quote myself from your other posting: "Sharecash.org ist a filehoster, these sites are extensively used for illegal file sharing. So unless the Harry Harrison books you mentioned are all available for free somewhere this offer is illegal. "
    Last edited by Hobbit; January 3rd, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yup. Sorry fenix: not the links we accept at SFFWorld. Links removed.

Mark
    Mark

I must be a defective cryo-revive. I didn't post this here.

The Miles Vorkosigan Saga
    Cryoburn
    Cordelia's Honor
    Young Miles
    Miles, Mystery Mayhem
    Miles Errant
    Miles, Mutants & Microbes
    Miles in Love
    The Vorkosigan Companion

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...rnCD/index.htm

psik

Blog Entries

in the comic vein

it's been a while since I visited here and since then the whole ebook thing has kind of exploded, taking some of my own titles with it. All of my books are available as free ebooks from Smashwords and Feedbooks, including several science fiction titles, mainly in the comic vein. I'd like to link to a few of them here along with some small descriptions:

Renegade Robot
    Most stories I've seen about the mythical "Singularity" are doom-laden. This is the opposite. This one's about what happens when a supposed Singularity gets caught up in a frenzied Fox-like media cycle, with an oddball religious sex cult thrown in for kicks.

Death Ray Butterfly
    A bit of a detective story as well, where an old and cranky cop is on the case of a murderer who flees to alternate universes where his 'other' did not commit the crime in question

Orange Car With Stripes
    Can science fiction include "defunct" sciences? This story introduces the desperately needed genre of comic atheist sci-fi pulp fiction.

Unwritten Rules of Impossible Things
    Could a giant stuffed moose in somebody's bedroom be an elaborate trap set up by aliens who only want to borrow some bodies long enough to get back to their own planet? Make up your own unwritten rules. After all, we're talking about impossible things here!

Quote Originally Posted by Majuss View Post
    I have finally taken the step and ordered a Kindle. While waiting for it to arrive I thought I would start to build a library for it.

I have looked at the SFF sections at Gutenberg.org and Manybooks.net and come to the conclusion that I need some advise from people more well read than I.

So, give us your good reads, the must haves and you-can't-call-yourself-fan-of-sff-if-you-haven't-read lists of free SFF books.

Do established authors give away their books for free on kindle?

Quote Originally Posted by zizekpress View Post
    Do established authors give away their books for free on kindle?
    Nope.
    That's why I am saying that all these kindle freebies that people fall for is a marketing trick. There are no good books among them.
    I always tell people who choose what ebook reader to buy not to pay attention to the number of freebies a particular provider gives away. They are mostly rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    Nope.
    That's why I am saying that all these kindle freebies that people fall for is a marketing trick. There are no good books among them.
    I don't know if Bujold is free on kindle.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...rnCD/index.htm

I would say find a tablet not an e-reader these days.

psik

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    I would say find a tablet not an e-reader these days.
    Screen is the issue. Many people cannot read off of backlit screens.
    eInk is the only solution for them. eInk is also very low on power consumption. I recharge my Sony Reader once every 2-3 weeks. Weeks What tablets can boats? 10-12 hours?

Blog Entries
    Latest from PhoenixPick:

September’s free ebook is A. A. Attanasio’s incredible Radix. The book was a Nebula nominee when originally published and the Washington Post called it ‘an instant classic,’ and the Minneapolis Tribune stated that ‘Radix is sheer pleasure to read.’

Our edition has cover art by John Bergan (award winning animator) and interior art by James O’Barr (Creator of The Crow graphic novel, adapted by Hollywood with Brandon Lee).

I am sad to announce that our edition will be taken off-market from January 15th due to contractual reasons (all editions, including print). If you guys like the way the book looks, you may want to buy the paper version of this, what the author has called, his favorite edition of the book.

The coupon code for September is 9991421 and will be good from now through September 30th. Instructions and link, as usual, on our catalogue page, http://www.PPickings.com .
    Mark