Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 193

Thread: Free SF ebooks

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    Nope.
    That's why I am saying that all these kindle freebies that people fall for is a marketing trick. There are no good books among them.
    I always tell people who choose what ebook reader to buy not to pay attention to the number of freebies a particular provider gives away. They are mostly rubbish.
    Very much not true, at least if your including the new/indie author freebies. If you read 10 free kindle books by new/indie authors (I've ready maybe 15 or so) with an average user rating of 4.5 stars or better, good chance you will really like 1 or 2 enough to give it 5 stars. Most of them I find to be just ok, 3 star books to me. Rarely, I cant finish/get into a book, but that isnt common since I only read the highly rated ones. Its like mining for gold. It may or may not be worth it, but there is gold to be found.

  2. #62
    I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germantown, Md.
    Posts
    456
    I was recently advised to put one of my best works up, free of charge, as a "marketing ploy." I decided to give it a shot. It is Evoguía, an original SF full novel:

    A scientist in Atlanta creates a revolutionary breakthrough in accessing the untapped potential in humans, and in so doing, sows the seeds of a decades-spanning conflict between Homo Sapiens and a group of people—a 98-pound weakling, a police detective, a boy with learning difficulties and an illness-prone woman—who become the first generation of Homo Evoguía, the Self-Evolved Man.

    It is available at various outlets, but on my site and Smashwords, it is free and available in multiple ebook formats. If you enjoy it and buy other novels, you'll have to let me know how the marketing ploy works.

  3. #63
    Registered User Seli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    313
    Steven, how would you say it compares to the first Kestral Book? I picked that one up free at one point, but it is not for me.

  4. #64
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Hobbit Towers, England
    Posts
    11,873
    Blog Entries
    126
    From Phoenix Pick:

    Phoenix Pick’s free ebook for October is Jack L. Chalker’s Lilith: A Snake in the Grass. This is the first of four books in The Four Lords of the Diamond series.

    The coupon code for October is 9991439 and will be good from October 2 through October 31. Download link, as usual at http://www.PPickings.com

    Short Description of the Book:

    Four worlds that cannot be visited.
    Four worlds that must be visited.

    Aliens are spying on Earth from one of the four worlds that make up the Warden Diamond. But it is impossible to send agents to any of the four worlds because of unique microscopic symbionts that make it impossible for visitors to leave the Diamond.

    Seeking a unique solution, each of the four worlds making up the Diamond is sent a person whose mind has been stripped of everything and who is now controlled by an agent of the Confederacy

    Lilith is the first planet to be visited. Here, Cal Tremon, stripped of his own personality, must overcome incredible odds and survive not only the incredible perils of the foreign planet but his own controllers as well.

    Mark
    Mark

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    From Phoenix Pick:

    Phoenix Pick’s free ebook for October is Jack L. Chalker’s Lilith: A Snake in the Grass. This is the first of four books in The Four Lords of the Diamond series.

    The coupon code for October is 9991439 and will be good from October 2 through October 31. Download link, as usual at http://www.PPickings.com

    Short Description of the Book:

    Four worlds that cannot be visited.
    Four worlds that must be visited.

    Aliens are spying on Earth from one of the four worlds that make up the Warden Diamond. But it is impossible to send agents to any of the four worlds because of unique microscopic symbionts that make it impossible for visitors to leave the Diamond.

    Seeking a unique solution, each of the four worlds making up the Diamond is sent a person whose mind has been stripped of everything and who is now controlled by an agent of the Confederacy

    Lilith is the first planet to be visited. Here, Cal Tremon, stripped of his own personality, must overcome incredible odds and survive not only the incredible perils of the foreign planet but his own controllers as well.

    Mark
    Ooh, I have such fond memories of Jack Chalker. Granted I was a teen, 20 years ago, and it seems his work has no advocates on this forum so maybe it doesnt hold up well... Read it long ago, but pretty sure this series is heavily skewed to fantasy despite having spaceships and planets, but recall enjoying it. His "Well of Souls" series is a bit more sci-fi in nature (although all of his books could be called sci-fantasy).

    I always wondered if the man had, shall we say "issues," since in *every single book* he wrote a male character becomes a female through some kind of magical/quasi-technological transformation. Once would mean nothing, but every single book?
    Last edited by ArtNJ; September 28th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

  6. #66

    Web Design in San Francisco

    Thanks for your nice information.

  7. #67
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Hobbit Towers, England
    Posts
    11,873
    Blog Entries
    126
    Phoenix Pick’s free ebook for November is Paul Cook’s “The Engines of Dawn.”

    The coupon code for November is 9991522 and will be good from November 2
    through November 30. Download link, as usual at http://www.PPickings.com

    Short Description of the Book:

    The great engines of the Enamorati have enabled humanity to travel the
    stars, but at what cost? Little is known of the jealously guarded engines
    while a complacent humanity slowly loses its edge and becomes increasingly
    dependent on mysterious alien technologies.

    However, when an engine failure strands a university ship, Professor Ben
    Bennet and a group of students challenge the status quo and start
    discovering hidden secrets that threaten the future of humanity itself.

    “A lot of contemporary SF satisfies but doesn’t excite. Cook’s latest
    delivers everything you could want”
    Science Fiction Chronicle

    Mark
    Mark

  8. #68
    I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germantown, Md.
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    Steven, how would you say it compares to the first Kestral Book? I picked that one up free at one point, but it is not for me.
    Unlike the Kestral series, which is Trek-style sci-fi, Evoguía is SF, "medium-hard" I'd say, realistic and Earth-bound, and strongest in examining the relationships and prejudices that develop when people are considered too different to be human.

  9. #69
    I am a new author and my book is available for free online. It is set in a near future world. Here's the synopsis.

    Set in the near future, the world is advancing as new technologies emerges. But the effects from the attack in an early decade of the 21st century, by an elusive group called Ordo Tribus XI (Order of the Three Eleven), lingers.

    Soon, a sinister force arises, quietly permeating into everyone’s lives and into all nooks and crannies of the connected world. As heinous and ambitious as the perpetrators of World War I and II, the insidious force uses corruption and technology to wage their covert war for world domination. There is no hesitation in using any measures against those who stand in their way. It is up to the friends of the victims and a group of hackers to uncover this hidden threat, and defeat it before it is too late.


    Rather than create a world full of science fiction, I've used the near future world as a backdrop, with subtle introduction of new technology, to relate the rise of a new totalitarian Hitler wannabe of the information age. Prologue and Chapter 1 are historical fiction that lays the historical context for the rest of the chapters. Prologue occurred in World War I while Chapter 1 occurred in November 11, 2011 with a dirty bomb attack and assassination. Although it might not be non-stop fast paced action, it is suspenseful and have element of mystery and non-supernatural horror.

    Some of the key words for the novel are: dirty bomb, Nazism, anti-christ, world domination, intercontinental space travel, gaming, VR, information or cyber war, hacker, cracker, cancer cure, new discoveries, patent, corruption, revolution, murder, torture, genocide, genetic research, new military technology, nanotechnology, surveillance, espionage, fugitives, social commentary, zero day.

    My first time writing so if you end up reading, please let me know what you think. If you stop reading, please let me know why also. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

    Here is the link at Scribd with downloadable pdf file and various mobile/e-reader formats.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/72219109/T...Ordo-Tribus-XI
    Last edited by ESantiago; November 14th, 2011 at 12:36 AM.

  10. #70
    Sony Reader PRS-650 Astra_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by ESantiago View Post
    Here is the link at Scribd with downloadable pdf file and various mobile/e-reader formats.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/72219109/T...Ordo-Tribus-XI
    I am sorry, but I have found only two formats pdf and txt.

  11. #71
    Sorry about that. There is a mobile button after the small download and print button. If that does not work, I've added an EPUB format at:
    http://creatorsnode.com/awakening_11-11-11
    last one in the Download Options table.

    Thanks

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    I am sorry, but I have found only two formats pdf and txt.
    Please see my post above. Let me know if EPUB does not work for you.

    Thanks

  13. #73
    Sony Reader PRS-650 Astra_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by ESantiago View Post
    Please see my post above. Let me know if EPUB does not work for you.

    Thanks
    Yes, it worked. Sort of.
    Direct link was fine. Binaries is a bit tricky. You click on format, it opens a code in firefox, you save it as *.nzb, then use whatever usenet client you have to download it.


    I will be honest with you. The formatting of the epub is bad.
    TOC is unusable.



    The TOC looks like two small squares at the bottom left corner, and when double click on them you get the following:



    There are also some unfinished/incomplete items:




    I am not criticising. Only showing some glaring problems.

  14. #74
    A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Darlington, UK
    Posts
    985
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Phoenix Pick’s free ebook for November is Paul Cook’s “The Engines of Dawn.”

    The coupon code for November is 9991522 and will be good from November 2
    through November 30. Download link, as usual at http://www.PPickings.com

    Short Description of the Book:

    The great engines of the Enamorati have enabled humanity to travel the
    stars, but at what cost? Little is known of the jealously guarded engines
    while a complacent humanity slowly loses its edge and becomes increasingly
    dependent on mysterious alien technologies.

    However, when an engine failure strands a university ship, Professor Ben
    Bennet and a group of students challenge the status quo and start
    discovering hidden secrets that threaten the future of humanity itself.

    “A lot of contemporary SF satisfies but doesn’t excite. Cook’s latest
    delivers everything you could want”
    Science Fiction Chronicle

    Mark
    Hey Hobbit, are you aware of any limitations etc on these free eBooks? For some reason it won't work in my Sony eReader. I can read it on the Reader Library software on this PC but when I copy it onto the eReader it just shows one page and won't even access that. Pretty odd as I've had no problems with other epub files. Cheers.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    Yes, it worked. Sort of.
    Direct link was fine. Binaries is a bit tricky. You click on format, it opens a code in firefox, you save it as *.nzb, then use whatever usenet client you have to download it.


    I will be honest with you. The formatting of the epub is bad.
    TOC is unusable.
    Fixed it up a bit. Looks better now, at least on my E-reader. The TOC is now working (just missing Epilogue on the list). I have updated the direct link and Usenet NZB link on the website.

    http://creatorsnode.com/awakening_11-11-11

    Yeah, the Usenet NZB have to be right clicked and save because the browser would just display the xml text.

    Note to self, don't use PDF file to convert to EPUB.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •