Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Free SF ebooks

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey Hobbit, are you aware of any limitations etc on these free eBooks? For some reason it won't work in my Sony eReader. I can read it on the Reader Library software on this PC but when I copy it onto the eReader it just shows one page and won't even access that. Pretty odd as I've had no problems with other epub files. Cheers.
    Hi Chuffalump. No, I'm not aware of any limitations, which is why I pass the link on. They should be DRM free.

I'm running them myself on a Sony Reader and they seem OK. I know that EPUB does not always run directly on a Sony as it prefers LRF. Could that be the problem?

I haven't had to myself, but it might be worth running the EPUB file through something like Calibre (which I do use a lot!) and converting it to LRF?

Mark
    Mark

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Thanks, I'll give it a go. Never had problems with epub before so..... well I don't know what I thought.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully it solves it...

Be interested to see how it turns out.

Mark
    Mark

Karen A. Wyle

Free SF short story (ebook)

My science fiction story, The Baby, is a free ebook on Smashwords. (I was hoping the Amazon bots will find the "free" price on Smashwords and match it. I've recently heard that the book might need to be in the Nook Store for free as well for Amazon to make that switch. I may investigate further.)

URL: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/101665.
    Subject: human cloning. (You can learn more at the Smashwords page or on the story's page on my website, at http://www.karenawyle.net/baby.html.)

I'd love to get some feedback on it!

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hopefully it solves it...

Be interested to see how it turns out.

Mark
    Worked!

Seems quite useful software. A little random as to whether it showed the contents of my reader (might be my fault) or not, but the conversion worked perfectly so I'm in the middle of The Engines of Dawn this morning.

Blog Entries
    Brilliant. Pleased it worked!

I use Calibre a lot, actually. Really useful programme.

Enjoy the book!

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ESantiago View Post
    Fixed it up a bit. Looks better now, at least on my E-reader. The TOC is now working (just missing Epilogue on the list). I have updated the direct link and Usenet NZB link on the website.

http://creatorsnode.com/awakening_11-11-11

Yeah, the Usenet NZB have to be right clicked and save because the browser would just display the xml text.

Note to self, don't use PDF file to convert to EPUB.
    Thanks! It almost there

One more thing if possible.
    Smaller spacing between paragraphs. Right now it is huge. I, personally, don't like spacing between paragraphs, because it represents a change of scene for me. However, to be honest, some people like it, although not so big.

I stumbled across this:

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner
    http://vxheavens.com/lib/mjb01.html

psik

Quote Originally Posted by Astra_ View Post
    Thanks! It almost there

One more thing if possible.
    Smaller spacing between paragraphs. Right now it is huge. I, personally, don't like spacing between paragraphs, because it represents a change of scene for me. However, to be honest, some people like it, although not so big.
    Updated the EPUB file. Spacing is not as big anymore. Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    I stumbled across this:

The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner

psik

Okay - that site looks well dodgy. There's a Pat Cadigan on there that is officially being republished by Gollancz next year, and I'm sure the Brunner is still in copyright. Authors (and their estates) do deserve to be paid...

Quote Originally Posted by ESantiago View Post
    Updated the EPUB file. Spacing is not as big anymore. Thanks for your comments.
    Thanks!
    I just downloaded the latest version.

Quote Originally Posted by JonLaidlow View Post
    Okay - that site looks well dodgy. There's a Pat Cadigan on there that is officially being republished by Gollancz next year, and I'm sure the Brunner is still in copyright. Authors (and their estates) do deserve to be paid...
    Baen books is legally giving away Lois McMaster Bujold's works.

http://www.baencd.freedoors.org/Disc...2024/index.htm

Do you think they are doing that without a marketing strategy? Bujold is way more famous than John Brunner. So I bet the advertising, even if pirated, would do his estate more good than harm. I don't see any evidence that Brunner had any children in his Wiki entry so I am not much concerned about the estate.

But Neuromancer has 514 Amazon reviews and The Shockwave Rider only has 26 and TSR is a far superior story. So it could use the advertising. That is the trouble with the Internet. So much advertising of junk.

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; November 25th, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Baen books is legally giving away Lois McMaster Bujold's works.

http://www.baencd.freedoors.org/Disc...2024/index.htm
    I just received a Kindle Fire for my Birthday and this was one of the first things I downloaded.

I made a visit there to get the full Honorography for my kindle when I got it. Very pleased I did too

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I just received a Kindle Fire for my Birthday and this was one of the first things I downloaded.
    There will be a quiz on the entire series in two weeks.

psik