The Rose and the Thorn (Sullivan)

Well done Mr. Sullivan! I think that both The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn were very good reads and to those not initiated with the Riyria universe, make a brilliant start to the Riyria Revelations series that came before.

On a hopefully non-spoilery note, I 've never felt more sorry for a character in a book than Reuben. I could feel the anguish poring out of him as his character developed.

Maine Pro Disc Golf
    I'm about half way in and so far I love it.

I'd call it better than the last one, although that one was stellar. For someone who read the completed series previously, this one had a lot of old (but young) faces returning to the action. It was like returning home after a few long semesters away and eating your Mom's homemade cooking.

Flushing out the back stories of some of these characters only makes the other books better. A true work of literary competence.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigchipper View Post
    Well done Mr. Sullivan! I think that both The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn were very good reads and to those not initiated with the Riyria universe, make a brilliant start to the Riyria Revelations series that came before.

On a hopefully non-spoilery note, I 've never felt more sorry for a character in a book than Reuben. I could feel the anguish poring out of him as his character developed.
    Hey thanks! I'm so glad you like his parts. I've had a few people that have really questioned the decision to include him so this helps to balance that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren18 View Post
    I'm about half way in and so far I love it.

I'd call it better than the last one, although that one was stellar. For someone who read the completed series previously, this one had a lot of old (but young) faces returning to the action. It was like returning home after a few long semesters away and eating your Mom's homemade cooking.

Flushing out the back stories of some of these characters only makes the other books better. A true work of literary competence.
    Thanks! It's so heartening to hear that these books are "working for people." I hoped that would be the case but the whispers of doubt are always present. I'm not sure they will ever go away.

My top two reads of the year are The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn. Without Michael Sullivan and Mark Lawrence this would of been a very poor reading year for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Myst View Post
    My top two reads of the year are The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn. Without Michael Sullivan and Mark Lawrence this would of been a very poor reading year for me.
    Wow! I'm honored. I must admit I was a bit worried about the prequels - especially after Orbit poured some cold water about how badly prequels usually are received. My agent was concerned they wouldn't be picked up, but even if they weren't I would have self-published the pair as I really liked the way they came out and was curious to see what the readers thought. The feedback has, happily, been very positive.

I was trying to wait a little longer before picking this up as I know it's possibly the last entry in the series (and at the very least the last entry that will be available for awhile) but I couldn't hold out any longer and started The Rose and the Thorn last week. As with the others, tore right through it. Another excellent entry and, if truth be told, it contained a perfect ending should it turn out to be the last published book in the series (although I'd certainly welcome more). Well done Mr. Sullivan!

I hope it is not the last Riyria book because I love this series. Once I crack his books open there is no putting them down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsw13 View Post
    I was trying to wait a little longer before picking this up as I know it's possibly the last entry in the series (and at the very least the last entry that will be available for awhile) but I couldn't hold out any longer and started The Rose and the Thorn last week. As with the others, tore right through it. Another excellent entry and, if truth be told, it contained a perfect ending should it turn out to be the last published book in the series (although I'd certainly welcome more). Well done Mr. Sullivan!
    Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the read. I'm not making an "official" determination about more Royce and Hadrian until I'm in a position to start writing...but I think, based on what I've heard so far there will be at least one more. Originally I was going to make the determination in April as that is when I thought I'd be done with my current trilogy...but the trilogy turned into 4 books so it will be pushed a bit further out.

Thanks for supporting the series!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I hope it is not the last Riyria book because I love this series. Once I crack his books open there is no putting them down.
    I'm starting to see a trend with regards to comments like this ;-) Good to know the two haven't overstayed their welcome yet.

Michael,

It is very exciting to hear that we all may be treated to another adventure from Riyria. My policy on your books is you write them and I will buy them.

PS I wish George R.R. Martin wrote at your pace.