"The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"-inspired short horror story

I've been trying to identify a story I read in an anthology about 10-15 years ago. It begins with a father reading "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" chapter of THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS to his young son, who is troubled by Pan's erasure of the characters' memories. The father finds himself dwelling upon the dark implications of the story, and is seized with a panic that his son will disappear. He feels that a veil has been lifted on a terrifying, mythic alternate reality and begins to sense himself fading out of existence.
    The story appeared in a hardcover fantasy and horror anthology from the late 90s-early 2000s. I have a vague recollection that the family in the story is African-American, though that might just be the way I pictured the characters.
    Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by mdraine View Post
    I've been trying to identify a story I read in an anthology about 10-15 years ago. It begins with a father reading "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" chapter of THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS to his young son, who is troubled by Pan's erasure of the characters' memories. The father finds himself dwelling upon the dark implications of the story, and is seized with a panic that his son will disappear. He feels that a veil has been lifted on a terrifying, mythic alternate reality and begins to sense himself fading out of existence.
    The story appeared in a hardcover fantasy and horror anthology from the late 90s-early 2000s. I have a vague recollection that the family in the story is African-American, though that might just be the way I pictured the characters.
    Does this ring any bells with anyone?
    Not sure if this helps at all, but there are a few short works titled "The Piper at the Gates" or "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" at ISFDB, including a relatively well-known novella by Richard Cowper. Haven't read any of them, unfortunately.

Randy M.