Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Writer most similar to Joe Abercrombie?

I finished The First Law trilogy and should finish Best Served Cold this week. I absolutely loved the trilogy and am enjoying Best Served Cold even more. Are there any authors out there that have a similar writing style? I think the only other fantasy I have read is LOTR and The Hobbit and I did not enjoy Tolkeins writing style at all.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    You might try Brian Ruckley - Godless World : it's a finished series with o lot of gore and conflict. I liked it, especially the first book [Winterborn] , but i felt it was a bit too depressing later.
    If you don't mind starting an unfinished series, check out J V Jones Sword of Shadows or Scott Lynch Gentleman Bastards books.
    Better yet, as I consider Abercrombie overrated, try Robert Reddick's Chathrand Voyage or Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt.
    I've seen Glen Cook and his Black Company series often mentioned together with Abercrombie or Erikson, but I haven't read any of them yet.
    Last edited by algernoninc; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis. If you're FIXED on trying out more edgy yet humorous and entirely NOT IN FACT OVERRATED fantasy fiction, you might want to think about Scott Lynch or Richard Morgan, or indeed Swords and Dark Magic, an anthology of various Sword and Sorcery writers, including a story by my good self, which may lead you to other names in rough and tumble fantasy stylings.

I agree with algernoninc's suggestions, except for the overrated bit though. I really enjoyed Ruckley's Godless Wolrd, very dark, Winterbirth is the first in the trilogy. What about K.J Parkers Engineer Trilogy or maybe The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    . I really enjoyed Ruckley's Godless Wolrd, very dark, Winterbirth is the first in the trilogy.[/B].

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this series. However also I see the ending is a huge let-down??

By the way Joe, fantastic series and loved Best served Cold. Eagerly awaiting your next novel

weightless astronaut
    GRRM and Lynch are the closest comparisons, but Joe has a very original voice in the genre, and there's not that much else that's similar available just yet.

I don't personally think that Redick and Tchaikovsky compare at all, stylistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis.

Dominant Ideology Thesis? That sounds like one of R. Scott Bakker's books. Or was it The Thousandfold Thought?

Disclaimer: Bakker is also a very interesting writer, but not really similar to Joe Abercrombie.

Disclaimer 2: I know Bakker is not similar to Abercrombie because I just looked for their pictures using Google, and I was surprised to see that Abercrombie is a young man. Bakker is young too, but in Joe Abercrombie's case I was surprised because, for some reason, while reading his books I had imagined that he was a grumpy and sarcastic old fellow (kind of like Inquisitor Glotka). I don't know if he is grumpy and sarcastic, but he is not old...
    Last edited by farseer2; October 1st, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Actually, Glokta is about the same age as Joe in The First Law - middle thirties.

My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis.
    I can't find these titles on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    I can't find these titles on amazon.
    You're not looking very hard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Class-Struct...009409&sr=8-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dominant-Ide...009544&sr=8-19

But Contemporary British Society or the Dictionary of Sociology may be easier to source...

Or you could go for a 60s Dictionary of Biology which was edited by not one but two of my grandparents.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Dict...009643&sr=8-12

Hey, you can even download a kindle collection of my great grandfather's verse for nothing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emblems-Of-L...6009785&sr=1-1

Awesome Books

My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis. If you're FIXED on trying out more edgy yet humorous and entirely NOT IN FACT OVERRATED fantasy fiction, you might want to think about Scott Lynch or Richard Morgan, or indeed Swords and Dark Magic, an anthology of various Sword and Sorcery writers, including a story by my good self, which may lead you to other names in rough and tumble fantasy stylings.
    I would just like to say sir that your books are awesome!!! I have read most of them and I have two more to finish.I havent been able to find such books like yours for a while .It has everything humor,gore,wit and all mixed in with fantasy .Best books ever.Keep writing Sir!!!

Mark Lawrence lives close enough to Joe Abercrombie that they would both be obliterated by the same one megaton nuclear bomb. #Fact

This thread shows exactly why Joe is my favorite author right now. We should cut off one of his fingers and call him "The Clever Nine." The only problem would be that Joe would take longer to write his books. Can't have that!