Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Writer most similar to Joe Abercrombie?

I finished The First Law trilogy and should finish Best Served Cold this week. I absolutely loved the trilogy and am enjoying Best Served Cold even more. Are there any authors out there that have a similar writing style? I think the only other fantasy I have read is LOTR and The Hobbit and I did not enjoy Tolkeins writing style at all.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    You might try Brian Ruckley - Godless World : it's a finished series with o lot of gore and conflict. I liked it, especially the first book [Winterborn] , but i felt it was a bit too depressing later.
    If you don't mind starting an unfinished series, check out J V Jones Sword of Shadows or Scott Lynch Gentleman Bastards books.
    Better yet, as I consider Abercrombie overrated, try Robert Reddick's Chathrand Voyage or Adrian Tchaikovsky Shadows of the Apt.
    I've seen Glen Cook and his Black Company series often mentioned together with Abercrombie or Erikson, but I haven't read any of them yet.
    Last edited by algernoninc; September 2nd, 2010 at 09:18 AM.

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis. If you're FIXED on trying out more edgy yet humorous and entirely NOT IN FACT OVERRATED fantasy fiction, you might want to think about Scott Lynch or Richard Morgan, or indeed Swords and Dark Magic, an anthology of various Sword and Sorcery writers, including a story by my good self, which may lead you to other names in rough and tumble fantasy stylings.

I agree with algernoninc's suggestions, except for the overrated bit though. I really enjoyed Ruckley's Godless Wolrd, very dark, Winterbirth is the first in the trilogy. What about K.J Parkers Engineer Trilogy or maybe The Ten Thousand by Paul Kearney.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
    . I really enjoyed Ruckley's Godless Wolrd, very dark, Winterbirth is the first in the trilogy.[/B].

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this series. However also I see the ending is a huge let-down??

By the way Joe, fantastic series and loved Best served Cold. Eagerly awaiting your next novel

weightless astronaut
    GRRM and Lynch are the closest comparisons, but Joe has a very original voice in the genre, and there's not that much else that's similar available just yet.

I don't personally think that Redick and Tchaikovsky compare at all, stylistically.

I'm seen Mark Charan Newton's series being mentioned at times, might be worth the look.

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    The SEARCH function is your friend
    It's my only friend.
    Last edited by jamieem; September 2nd, 2010 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    I finished The First Law trilogy and should finish Best Served Cold this week. I absolutely loved the trilogy and am enjoying Best Served Cold even more. Are there any authors out there that have a similar writing style? I think the only other fantasy I have read is LOTR and The Hobbit and I did not enjoy Tolkeins writing style at all.
    I quite agree. I have only finished Blade Itself, but this series surprised me with its quality right from the start. I plan on getting to Before They Are Hanged quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis.
    Good recommendations, though I was always more partial towards his Television and Society.

Hey Joe

When are you bringing back the Bloody Nine? He's one of my favorite characters of all time. Love your work.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    I would like to apologize to Joe if I came out as offensive. For the record, I enjoyed the First Law books, but have issues with Best Served Cold - not with the writing and pacing but with the glamorizing of violence. And the day I wrote the first comment, I have just finished watching The Centurion, and these issues were quite prominent in my mind.

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    Believe me, I have heard much worse. It's a discussion site, you have to be able to air your opinion.

But know that I consider it HUGELY OVERRATED.

If you like Joe's characters from the north then I second J V Jones Sword of Shadows. They write quite a bit different, but if you like those cold hard people from northern climates then it should be fun. I always wanted more from Joe about the northerners and JV while not quite as good is holding me over nicely until Joe puts out his next book (which better have more northerners in it).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    Believe me, I have heard much worse. It's a discussion site, you have to be able to air your opinion.

But know that I consider it HUGELY OVERRATED.
    In that case.... Joe Abercrombie sucks Unread it now before it is too late.

I will definitely second George R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, I read Joe Abercrombie looking for something Martin-like and was pleasantly surprised. Both authors writings are gritty and merciless, which I enjoy.

I'm actually reading Best Served Cold at the moment, my girlfriend has now told me I cannot read it in public anymore after my facial expressions during certain scenes got us "funny looks" in Cafe Nero, lol.

Spoiler:
    The scene in question was the first of the seven, the bodyguard, where Monza smashes his hands - amongst other things. Joe is very good at imparting a visceral experience, so much so that several strangers now think I am mentally ill... lol

Personally while I find the violence horrifying and grim I enjoy it thoroughly, and find my self rather astonished that anyone considers it to be glamorizing violence frankly I feel far less encouraged to become a warrior of any stripe!