Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    First off, thank you for your wonderful books Joe! My favorite characters are Gorst, Friendly, and Logan. I love how unique your characters are and enjoy how you take the time to build them.

I'm currently looking for similar books as well while waiting for Red Country.

I highly recommend Terry Goodkinds "Sword of Truth" series. I prefer them over Martin's work.

An FYI based on MHO....I bought the entire series of the Black Company after hearing it was really good. Maybe its just me but I thought it was a terrible read. The words were choppy and I never could get a feel for the characters or the world they lived in. Pure waste of money for me!

I truly expected him to say, "You have to be realistic."!!

I know this is an old thread, but Joe you are by far and away my favorite author! Your style is so unique. I just finished "Red Country" and I can wait to find out where "Lamb's" journeys will take him next!

After looking at some recommendations from this thread:

I was pretty disappointed with the Godless World series, I felt they were very... lackluster, typical, and coming of age (which I CANNOT STAND), I could only get through the first two mind you, maybe the last one was better.

Nor was I a fan of the suggested "The Red Wolf Conspiracy" (Coming of age... please... go away!)

I was also fairly disappointed with Joe Abercrombie's newest book, "Red Country". I can see some people enjoying it, but I feel it pales in comparison to his previous works. Maybe it's just because I've never liked his northern characters that much, and I was always in love with his Sand Dan Glokta and Jezal dan Luthar, and the goings on of that part of the world. The north just always seemed bland in comparison.

I also feel as though Lynch lost his mojo with his second book, but maybe I'm just that kind of person

Sorry, just had to put that out there, I still am looking for more books to devour...
    Last edited by jjmc00; December 19th, 2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jjmc00 View Post
    I was also fairly disappointed with Joe Abercrombie's newest book, "Red Country". I can see some people enjoying it, but I feel it pales in comparison to his previous works. Maybe it's just because I've never liked his northern characters that much, and I was always in love with his Sand Dan Glokta and Jezal dan Luthar, and the goings on of that part of the world. The north just always seemed bland in comparison.
    See, this is the joy of Abercrombie, and many other writers of course. I felt the complete opposite. While I did like Glokta quite a bit, I didn't too much like Jezal or many of the other "city folk". I LOVED the Northmen. All of them. And most importantly Logen. Quite possibly my favorite character in any book I've read to date. Which is why I thought The Heroes was amazing as well as Red Country. BSC I liked the least, but my opinion was messed up because I kept expecting The Bloody Nine and never got him, so walked away disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    See, this is the joy of Abercrombie, and many other writers of course. I felt the complete opposite. While I did like Glokta quite a bit, I didn't too much like Jezal or many of the other "city folk". I LOVED the Northmen. All of them. And most importantly Logen. Quite possibly my favorite character in any book I've read to date. Which is why I thought The Heroes was amazing as well as Red Country. BSC I liked the least, but my opinion was messed up because I kept expecting The Bloody Nine and never got him, so walked away disappointed.
    yeah, that's a good thing about Abercrombie I suppose, he has a lot of different flavors. I liked best served cold personally = ), it was good to get away to styria

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis.
    I can't find these titles on amazon.

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    I can't find these titles on amazon.
    You're not looking very hard.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Class-Struct...009409&sr=8-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dominant-Ide...009544&sr=8-19

But Contemporary British Society or the Dictionary of Sociology may be easier to source...

Registered User Joe Abercrombie's Avatar
    Or you could go for a 60s Dictionary of Biology which was edited by not one but two of my grandparents.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-Dict...009643&sr=8-12

Hey, you can even download a kindle collection of my great grandfather's verse for nothing!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emblems-Of-L...6009785&sr=1-1

Yeah, the Northmen are such ****ing bros. Love 'em all.
    Last edited by Ninefingers; December 20th, 2012 at 09:35 AM.

Cthulhu's Red Bucket Lucas Thorn's Avatar
    hard to pick some similarities for joe's books.

though, i would recommend people tracking down george g. gilman's edge series...

BSC I liked the least, but my opinion was messed up because I kept expecting The Bloody Nine and never got him, so walked away disappointed.
    Best Served Cold has been my favourite Abercrombie book so far...That might be because it's the one I read first though! And I'm a sucker for a vengeful bitch!

After so many people I know got kindle's at Christmas I've had loads of messages asking for book recommendations, to which I've told them all to get Joe's books...Not sure what I'll do when they've read them all and come back asking for recommendations for similar books!

Quote Originally Posted by Zandaros View Post
    Best Served Cold has been my favourite Abercrombie book so far...
    Best Served Cold is the book that brought me around on Joe's work. When I started The Blade Itself I had just finished A Dance With Dragons and was unfairly looking to recreate the GRRM experience with another writer. But by the time I started BSC I was just looking for a good book, and it delivered. It got me good and excited to read The Heroes, which I thought was masterful and made me a fan for life.

Trying to find a writer similar to another writer is never going to be satisfying. My attempt to find a writer similar to GRRM ended up putting me off Joe's work for a few months. And I'm sure attempting to find a writer similar to Joe would unfairly do the same for whomever I tried to read (Bakker, Lynch, Erikson, Cook, ...etc).

Finished "Red Country" today. I absolutely loved it. It amazes me that you can take the same characters in the same world and basically the same setting and by including a few western cliches, change the tone and pacing to make it a modern western. The book kind of reminded me of "Blood Meridian".

PS I will hate you forever for not coming to Melbourne on your recent Australian tour.

Keep up the good work!

Awesome Books

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    My father, Nicholas Abercrombie, is quite similar to me. Same eyes. He's a sociologist, not a fantasy author, though, so his work is in a slightly different vein. You might enjoy Class Structure and Knowledge, though, or perhaps his Dominant Ideology Thesis. If you're FIXED on trying out more edgy yet humorous and entirely NOT IN FACT OVERRATED fantasy fiction, you might want to think about Scott Lynch or Richard Morgan, or indeed Swords and Dark Magic, an anthology of various Sword and Sorcery writers, including a story by my good self, which may lead you to other names in rough and tumble fantasy stylings.
    I would just like to say sir that your books are awesome!!! I have read most of them and I have two more to finish.I havent been able to find such books like yours for a while .It has everything humor,gore,wit and all mixed in with fantasy .Best books ever.Keep writing Sir!!!

Mark Lawrence lives close enough to Joe Abercrombie that they would both be obliterated by the same one megaton nuclear bomb. #Fact