Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Abercrombie View Post
    Believe me, I have heard much worse. It's a discussion site, you have to be able to air your opinion.

But know that I consider it HUGELY OVERRATED.
    God damn it man! answer the question from the Buckslayer. Do you plan on bringing back the bloody nine?

Quote Originally Posted by playing_hooky View Post
    God damn it man! answer the question from the Buckslayer. Do you plan on bringing back the bloody nine?
    Joe doesn't answer that question bro. He just...doesn't. He's been asked sneaky, up front, in riddle's, nope, won't work. He knows Logen is his best character (at least I like to think so) and he's not going to give that up just yet. I'm hoping for a Logen cameo in the Heroes, and he is just waiting for everyone to find it on their own when the book is released. Or, and I'm wishing hard here, his next book will center on Logen again and he is just saving the news for after Heroes releases.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyye View Post
    Joe doesn't answer that question bro. He just...doesn't. He's been asked sneaky, up front, in riddle's, nope, won't work. He knows Logen is his best character (at least I like to think so) and he's not going to give that up just yet. I'm hoping for a Logen cameo in the Heroes, and he is just waiting for everyone to find it on their own when the book is released. Or, and I'm wishing hard here, his next book will center on Logen again and he is just saving the news for after Heroes releases.
    Thanks for the heads up dude. Reckon you're right on the golden ticket part. Still makes sense to hold his cards close to his chest. Just popped over to Amazon and ordered BSC as the reviews have gotten me all excited. Read the first law trilogy a while back and have been caught up in other worlds since, namely Westeros. Look forward to reading this now though.

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyye View Post
    I loved Logen, don't get me wrong, but I think Glotka is his best character so far.

There is no character named Glotka anywhere in Joe's books.

What's with all the dyslexic people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamieem View Post
    I loved Logen, don't get me wrong, but I think Glotka is his best character so far.

I'm with you there Jamieem, Glokta is probably my favorite all time Fantasy character.

weightless astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromkern View Post

It's a typo, calm down.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stromkern View Post

Actually, you're right. This isn't just a typo. This is a very common mistake. I've noticed that people write Glotka about 90% of the time, on message boards. In fact, I thought that was his name at first... until I read more closely and realized I had it wrong.

I think Glotka is easier to say than Glokta. But I like the correct version better. It sounds more like the gun ("glock"), whereas the incorrect way sounds like a Russian name.

Evil Agent is absolutely right - almost anyone commenting on that character anywhere on the web is "typoing" it.

And it is extremely annoying, especially to people like me with understanding of slavic languages.
    Mainly because it not only sounds, but it IS russian. It's not a name though - it's part of the human anatomy, "pharynx".

The pharynx (plural: pharynges) is the part of the neck and throat situated immediately posterior to (behind) the mouth and nasal cavity, and cranial, or superior, to the esophagus, larynx, and trachea.
    Now, how dare you call such a great character Pharynx, damnit!

Glotka, Glokta..either way, the character is absolutely genius.

Quote Originally Posted by HatchetHarry View Post
    I finished The First Law trilogy and should finish Best Served Cold this week. I absolutely loved the trilogy and am enjoying Best Served Cold even more. Are there any authors out there that have a similar writing style? I think the only other fantasy I have read is LOTR and The Hobbit and I did not enjoy Tolkeins writing style at all.
    Martin, Lynch are good suggestions, Richard Morgan as well - though you may enjoy his SF (especially the Kovacs novels) better than his fantasy (The Steel Remains). I'd also heartily recommend Fritz Leiber's Ffahrd and the Gray Mouser series - not as graphic as Abercrombie, but still similar (and - don't read on Joe - even better)

As to the side-thread: Glotka is a great character, still think Loogen rules though

Cheers,

Sfinx.

Firstly it's Glokta (the regular misspelling bugs me, too) and secondly if you're looking for work that is similar to Abercrombie, and I know someone else suggested it, but I'd second it try Glen Cook's Black Company series. Steven Erikson has cited this as an influence on his work and I'd be very surprised if Joe had never read any of them before he wrote The First Law trilogy.

I came into this thread hoping Joe would comment with something funny like usual and the guy does not disappoint.

Hmmm, personally while I enjoy Erikson I don't feel its similar, while the contents may be of a similar vein the writing styles are very different imo. I think Joe's work is much more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I came into this thread hoping Joe would comment with something funny like usual and the guy does not disappoint.
    Agreed, that was my hope when I checked it the first time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Wyvern View Post
    Hmmm, personally while I enjoy Erikson I don't feel its similar, while the contents may be of a similar vein the writing styles are very different imo. I think Joe's work is much more accessible.
    I agree as well, though I have only read a sample of Erikson. I got through about the first hundred pages of Gardens of the Moon and decided that while I didn't hate it, I was not in the mood for it currently. I plan on going back, but the writing style that I noticed of Erikson's is completely different than Abercrombie's.