Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Reads

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar

June Reads

A new month is upon us (and a new forum)!

I've been reading New Eves: Science Fiction About the Extraordinary Women of Today and Tomorrow, edited by Janrae Frank, Jean Stine & Forrest J. Ackerman.

It is really excellent. It contains stories from every decade from '20s to the '80s. It also has a wonderful introduction which briefly explores women writer's influence on Science Fiction. I haven't heard of 75% of the writers in the book, but so far, I have really enjoyed at least 75% of the stories. I love the historical context.

Unfortunately, like many of the stories and authors featured, this book is out of print. What a shame.

Kamakhya

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    Hmmm...seems like I'm the only one reading Sci-Fi this month!

Well, I never did quite Finish New Eves because it was too heavy to take on my trip. I will, though. It is a great collection.

I have finished Moonrise by Ben Bova. It was pretty good. I'm not sure I liked it as much as Mars or Venus , but I did like it quite a bit. I love how Bova is able to incorporate cultural ideas into his work, like how various factions would respond to nanotechnology. Having now read three of Bova's works, I remain astounded that he is not as acclaimed as he should be. His writing is very good, his ideas are maybe not unique, but well thought out, and his grasp of social interaction is impeccable.

I also just finished The Shockwave Rider by John Brunner. Wow. What an awesome book. I am always amazed by older books that can still capture the wonder of the future. This novel is often described as the precursser to the Cyberpunk genre and rightly so. It was published in 1975, computers had barely made their mark, yet he completely understood where such technology could lead, including the internet and the ability to track each and every person. I found myself staying up way too late just to finish the novel.

Finally, I am nearing the end of Blood Music by Greg Bear. I like it. I would give it a 6 or 7. It is an interesting idea and fairly well written, but I have a hard time with its believeability factor. It is certainly an engaging read, but I don't think it will ever hit my top ten, so to speak.

Since I raided my Dad's stash, I have so many books to read, it is frightening!

Kamakhya

Well I'm reading a little too.In between World Cup matches of course!
    Sporting Chance ~Elizabeth Moon
    I needed something light after River of Blue Fire (I know it's well thought of on this forum but I'm struggling with the series)
    And then A canticle for Leibowitz for June's discussion

I just finished rereading the Dream Park trilogy by Niven and Barnes Great books I most enjoyed the first and then the third book I wish they would write some more.

Just finished The Sparrow by Russell and am now starting on Revelation Space by Reynolds. I'm on a bit of a SF kick right now because I can't find a damn thing to read in the fantasy area.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    I'm also on a bit of a scifi kick. Not sure why...

Anyways, just finished reading Fire Upon the Deep by Venor Vinge..

And I'm on The Uplift War by David Brin. So far, so good.. I'm enjoying it..

Then, after that I am not to sure.. I am thinking either Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement, or possibly attempting to finish the Nightdawn's Trilogy by Hamilton. Two books left in that series, but, their HUGE..

Keyoke

I haven't read a SF/F book in a little while only because I haven't seen anything lately I want to read. I haven't found any new authors lately. I'm waiting for a few new books to come out, and there are a few older books on my reading list that I haven't come across (I have not really tried that hard).

I'm reading the biography of Ataturk (and coincidentally watching Turkey get into the World cup semis).

Still reading Miller's "Canticle of Leibowitz" and finishing Simmon's "Endymion". Also purely sci-fi readings at the moment.

Hey, maybe the group discussions could take up Simmon's "Hyperion" at some future time. Just love that book...

I've gone back to school, which has drastically limited my reading time for the last year. So far this month, I've read A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton and The Lion of Farside by John Dalmas. Both books were fantasy.

Last month, I read A Hymn Before Battle and Gust Front, the first two volumes in a series by John Ringo. They are good military SF, highly recommended if you like the category.

King of the Lurkers. Moderator Keyoke's Avatar
    Well, I stopped with Uplift War. Two Reasons. One, while I enjoyed it, it just wasnt grabbing me.. I'll pick it up when I go on Vacation again...

But, the big reason is because I scored majorly at this used book store near my house.. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. I've been looking for this book forever (Insert Clever Pun. Applauses).. For some reason, this book is very difficult to find here in Calgary, Ab, Canada.. but, I found it.. So, I am reading that right now.. And, only 30 pages in, and wow.. loving it..

Keyoke

Reading "Mockingbird" by Walter Tevis. Well, not actually reading it yet, it just came today. It's about a future where we're all brain-dead and no one reads. Hmmmmm.

I didn't even know Tevis wrote SF. According to the readers at Amazon, his stuff is a treasure (The Man Who Fell to Earth, Steps to the Sun, etc.) so I'm excited to have discovered this book.

Also reading The Prisoner by Thomas Disch -- the novelization of the TV show. If anyone ever asks you to recommend a good novelization of a SF series, tell them about this book. Disch writes rings around most of the best-seller list, IMHO anyway.

I am about to start The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein for the July discussion.

2 good ones..

Gather! Darkness by Fritz Lieber. This novel had some fantasy-like elements but is more a Science Fiction novel. Either way you label it, it is a superb and fine work from a master I am just now discovering.

The Rift by Walter J. Williams. This was a HUGE novel. Very good, and for its size it went by pretty fast.

see no evil, hear no evil lemetsky's Avatar
    Korova Milk Bar-sipping on a glass of milk
    Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness In The Sky" -goood i'm impressed, and "The Stars Asunder" by d.doyle and j.macdonald- what can i say...
    ...no more mageworlds for me, sometimes it pays off to pick up a random book and sometimes...

Does anybody know ANY books where fantasy(magic) and sci-fi(tecnology) mixes in a belivable way?

I'm reading Vernor Vinge too ,Tatja Grimm's World.I think he's a great author but this is one of his earliest novels and made up of stories published in magazines.Not as good as his later efforts.

Lemetsky,
    Fred Saberhagen wrote Empire of the East which had elements of magic and Technology I seem to remember.