The Doctor is in.

McDevitt - how is he?

I saw an ad for Jack McDevitt's new book - Chindi. How is this, or his earlier book - Deepsix? Thanks.

I have read The Engines of God, Moonfall and Ancient Shores, all of which are great hard SF yarns! I have not read Deep Six yet or any later novels by him, but I can certainly recommend him as an author based on the novels I have read!

_Deep Six_ is great, _Ancient shores_ was too slow for me.

I've read the same McDevitt books as erebus, plus Infinity Beach, which was the most uneven of the ones I've read.

Moonfall was very entertaining and enjoyable. I believe The Engines of God, Chindi, and Deepsix are all connected. EoG was pretty good and was sort of an homage to Clarke's 2001. I was a bit disappointed in the ending, of an otherwise good book.

Originally posted by Erebus
    I have read The Engines of God, Moonfall and Ancient Shores, all of which are great hard SF yarns! I have not read Deep Six yet or any later novels by him, but I can certainly recommend him as an author based on the novels I have read!
    I'll second that. His books are fast paced, enjoyable page turners.

Originally posted by FitzFlagg
    I've read the same McDevitt books as erebus, plus Infinity Beach, which was the most uneven of the ones I've read.
    IIRC Infinity Beach and Ancient shores is the same book. I even bought it twice because of this trik with different titles.

Outside the US, Infinity Beach went by the title Slow Lightning.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've got a few McDevitt, including a signed one. I quite like him but it's a very traditional, possibly even old fashioned, style SF. (And I'm going to have to disagree with Erebus here, doesn't happen very often!, but IMO McDevitt is not a hard Sf writer!)

Favourites are probably the first I read, Engines of God, and probably either DeepSix or Moonfall, though they are all rather similar in tone. Try one and if you like, try more.
    Mark