Paul Kearney's Sea Beggers Series... Status?

I really liked the first book in the series "The Mark of Ran" and was very disappointed to later find out it has no conclusion to the series because the original publisher dropped the series.

I am having trouble finding any news about the series in the last year. Seemed like fall 09 he was still trying to finish it, but having trouble with some red tape.

Anyone know the status of this series?

Also does purchasing books in the series hurt its ability to be finished in the future by driving up the cost of buying the rights from the original publisher?

Paul was halfway through writing Storm of the Dead, the final book, when the hammer fell (he'd actually finished Book 3, but not started Book 4; his plan now is to combine the two novels, originally meant to be quite short, into one book using the material he's already completed).

Solaris want to publish the whole series and the conclusion. Paul wants to finish it for them. Bantam UK won't release the rights, but they will also not release the last book themselves. The reasons for this are unclear, but appear to have something to do with foreign rights sales: foreign editions of the first two books, particularly in Israel and Spain, are still selling very well.

So basically, the original publishers won't finish the series themselves and won't let Paul finish it with anyone else. The situation is that Paul has to wait until the contract with Bantam expires and the rights revert to him. That won't be until Bantam's publication of the books has elapsed by several years, and is still years away from now.

This situation is particularly frustrating and annoying. The writer wants to finish the series. Someone wants to publish it. The original publishers are preventing that from happening because they are still making money out of it, but are refusing to publish the final book themselves. So Catch-22.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

Although, I can't say I am pleased with the response, or that I gave those publishers my money. I assume they get money from the kindle version sales.