Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Best Arthurian Fantasy

Over the past two years, I've become very interested in the legends and myths of King Arthur Pendragon, and so I was wondering if anoyone here could please recommend to me some of the best Arthurian fantasy novels out there. I would dearly appreciate the help! Thanx

My favourite Arthurian book is the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, its different from your usual Arthur legend and quite excellent. It can be a bit long-winded but very enjoyable and moving. The story contains nearly every Arthian legend from the rise of Uther right through to past Arthur's death. The main character is Morgen.

I still like Bernard Cornwells three.

The Winter King.
    Enemy Of God.
    Excalibur.

I haven't read either of them, though Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon and Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon cycle are supposed to be quite good

Uh, Moderator
    I finished The Once and Future King by T.H. White last night. It was an interesting read - it was written around 60 years ago and has a very different styling to what you would find today. Plenty of archaic British vocabulary and character accents written as they would sound makes the reading a little slow at times, but it has definite high points, mainly The Ill Made Knight (the story of Lancelot) and The Candle in the Wind (which deals with Mordred attempting to usurp the throne). The story of a young Arthur and his lessons under the bumbling Merlyn are also endearing.

And, it gets mentioned in X Men 2 so it must be cool

Cornwall's Trilogy sounds good, but from what I've read and heard, MZB's Avalon Series is preachy feminist fluff, and besides, I've looked at the synopsis of the book, and it doesn't really interest me.
    Stephen R. Lawhead's Pendragon cycle looks interesting, but I'm a bit cautious of reading him, because, from what I hear he totally does away with and perverts the pagan/magic part of the Arthurian Legends and turns it into a horribly preachy Christian allegory, which I hate. Is this true, or have I been misinformed?

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    I highly recommend both White's The Once and Future King and MZB's Mists of Avalon. While Mists is told from the point of view of the female characters in the book, I wouldn't say it's "preachy feminist fluff."

David Gemmell's Ghost King and Last Sword of Power.

Cornwell has some good twists on the Arthurian legends. And in my own opinion its far better than the Grail Quest trilogy and even the Sharpe stuff. Its one of the few of his that I can read over again. And have.

Appy Polly Logies
    I haven't read it, but the people I know who have read it all agree that The Mists of Avalon overly-trivializes the male characters of the Arthurian legends, and really is only interesting as a counter-point to the traditional tales, rather than a full meal for someone interested in reading about Arthur.

I wouldn't call it trivialization of the male characters, but as it is told from the female perspective, it's understandable that the males would be off-camera for much of their action...simply a different focus for the same action. I think it gives it quite a nice angle on some things.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Stephen R. Lawhead's Pendragon cycle looks interesting, but I'm a bit cautious of reading him, because, from what I hear he totally does away with and perverts the pagan/magic part of the Arthurian Legends and turns it into a horribly preachy Christian allegory, which I hate. Is this true, or have I been misinformed?
    I didn't find it preachy at all. Some of the characters do convert though. Also it's not strictly a Arthurian book as it starts of in Atlantis. They are great books. The first three anyway.

This topic has come up quite frequently. Try doing a search.

Have only read one on the topic but it was very good: Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy.

I'm currently in the middle of "The Mists of Avalon." It's not bad but its gotten to be a bit of a drag. I would probably be enjoying it a little more had it been trimmed by a few hundred pages. Having the story tolds from the female characters perspective is interesting but it does mean the story progresses in an odd way seeing as mnay of them ares till pretty important to the storyline. I quickly got bored with the large doses of mysticism in the book but that's more as matter of personal preference than a criticism and I was kind of expecting it.

For something completely different to the normal Arthurian tale I recomend you read G.G.Kay's "The Fionavar Tapestry" . Worth reading anyhow !!