2666 - by Roberto Bolano

Hello- I was just curious if anyone here has read this book and what thier thoughts on it are. Ive been reading so much sci-fi and fantasy for the past few years that Im in the mood to read something non-sci-fi/fantasy (although it will be a while until I get to it).

Ive had it on my shelf for a long time now, and never got to it. Ive read The Savage Detectives by Bolano, but I wasnt really into it. I highly enjoyed his prose and wriitng style, but the story didnt interest me.

Any thoughts?

I have this book on my shelf, ready to read soon, but I have yet to crack it open. From what I have gathered though, if you did not care for The Savage Detectives, then you may not care for this either.

The weird thing is, I really enjoyed reading his writing style, but the story itself of The Savage Dectectives didnt interest me. So Im not ready to give up on him yet. And from what Ive read, a lot people claim 2666 is his masterpiece.

I really enjoyed 2666. I found it to be a monster of a read with some parts seeming harder to read than others, but usually once I found my footing within a new part and learned the characters each section seemed to speed up.

Having read "The Savage Detectives" as well as a few others of Bolano's works I find Savage was more scatterbrained than 2666. Also reading Savage is a precursor to reading 2666, so if you put in the effort in reading Savage I think you owe it to yourself to enjoy the insight Savage will bring to the table.

One of the best themes I liked in Savage is here in 2666, and that is it is alright to get your geek on about literature.

I also enjoy the aftermath of reading someone like Bolano, there is always a feeling of accomplishment in it. Kind of like reading Gene Wolfe or Robert Anton Wilson. I earned it.

There is another book of Bolano's that occurs in the same universe,"Amulet." If you need to work yourself up to read 2666 you could start there.