Unhappy What is R.A. Salvatore Doing!

Please forgive if this gets on twice. Thought I was logged in, and apparently was not, and lost my entire entry. So here goes again...

Hi I'm Rivendale and am an avid fan of Dritz Do'Urden. I have just finished "The two Swords" and had waiting on my lap so I could pick up the story without a break, R.A. Salvatore's latest, 'Gauntlgrym" I just started the book, I admit, but from the time I closed one book and picked up the other, which was 5 seconds, forty years had passed, and my favorite characters over the last crillion books are gone. What happened to Cattie Brie and why is Wulfgar estranged from Burenor, and what happened to Innovindil and the pegasus she was riding, not to mention the pegasus Dritz was riding, and what about poor little Colson? What happened to her, and why is there a vampire in the book? This is not "Twilight" we're doing "Dungeons and Dragons" here folks. And how do we go from the last words of Brunor to Regis, "Gauntlgrym" and pick up the next book and Regis is gone, and it's almost half a century later? And by the way, how did we get to stage where we're consorting with orcs? Even the characters who did not fall victim to the new story line aren't happy about that. They say so!

I know this is R.A.'s book and he can do whatever he wants....but dog gone it, I'm in culture shock. Why is Drizt riding a unicorn? This is too much. Okay, I've just started the book...I could be wrong about everything, and in later books in the series, (if I make it that far) the characters I've grown to know and love will find a fountain of youth so they can return to the living, and youth and continue their extraordinary adventures together. Oh! and thank you R.A. for keeping Pwent. At this stage, I'm just glad you kept Dritz and didn't kill him off with no explanation other than "time passes '.

Anyone else read the Dritz books and started "Gauntlgrym"? Am I out of line? Looking for your thoughts.

Blog Entries
    Have you read, The Orc King, The Pirate King and The Ghost King? Those books take place between The Hunter's Blades Trilogy and Gauntlgrym.

Have you researched the correct reading order for Drizzt series?

http://www.o-love.net/realms/ro_dri.html

Looks to be several books after "Two Swords"...

WooooHooo!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler View Post
    Have you read, The Orc King, The Pirate King and The Ghost King? Those books take place between The Hunter's Blades Trilogy and Gauntlgrym.
    Thanks, thanks and thanks....! No I haven't read those....I'll get them right away! Thanks again, and apologizes to R.A. There's a reason he's an author and I'm not!

Hi and many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Have you researched the correct reading order for Drizzt series?

http://www.o-love.net/realms/ro_dri.html

Looks to be several books after "Two Swords"...
    Yep, I thought I'd gone over the reading order, but obviously missed some, like the ones between the "Two Swords". I've read so many I thought I was in the pocket. Thanks for the quick reply...and apologies to R.A. Salvatore.

Red face Thanks to all who replied !

Hi and thanks 777 and Spears&Buckler for your quick reply. I'm sure you could tell by the panicked tone of my entry I was about to have a bad day. I'll put "Guntlgrym" on hold for now. It's happened before. That's how I got from "The Sea of Swords" to the "Two Swords" and several titles before that.

Gratefully wiping the sweat from my brow!

Rivendale:

Just wanted to let you know, in case you aren't familiar with discussion forums, that you can edit your posts if you have more to add.

Thanks !

Thanks Brian...I am still learning how to navigate. I did find the edit button. But where are the icons for "Quick Reply" I keep reading about?

You're welcome Rivendale.

The "QUICK REPLY" button is right next to the "QUOTE" button at the bottom right corner of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivendale View Post
    Hi and thanks 777 and Spears&Buckler for your quick reply. I'm sure you could tell by the panicked tone of my entry I was about to have a bad day. I'll put "Guntlgrym" on hold for now. It's happened before. That's how I got from "The Sea of Swords" to the "Two Swords" and several titles before that.

Rivendale:
    Happens to the best of us. Glad you figured it out now rather than just being annoyed and reading the whole Neverwinter series. =) I would like to get into Drizzt at some point, just got too many other great reads i need to get through first.

So Many Good Reads

Yep....so many good reads and so little time. I've got at least the three books before "Guntlgrym" and then "Guntlgrym" before I can finish Tad Williams' last book in the "Shadow March" series. It sits on the shelf awaiting my attention.

I'll be taking Hobbit's advice and checking the Books Read forum for new titles and authors to check out.

Here's a quick list of books you need to read. I've read some, and plan to read the rest soon!
    In order!:

Wheel of Time
    Rift War Saga
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Malazan book of the fallen
    The KingKiller Chronicle
    Warded Man
    Dark Tower
    Mistborn
    Chronicles of Amber
    First Law Trilogy
    Coldfire Trilogy
    Prince of Nothing
    Death Gate Cycle
    Earthsea trilogy

I got a thread about them here:
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28610

Also, Wizards of the Coast, which controls the Forgotten Realms IP, made the decision to nuke Faerun for 4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons and jump the timeline ahead. So it's a sort of rebooted post-apocalyptic setting, which they did in order to simplify it for new readers and gamers. The writers were told in advance of this, so Salvatore was building on what Wizards told him to. Similar shenanigans occurred during the 80s when the upgraded from 1st to 2nd edition AD&D, with gods dying left and right as the world's reality magically flickered around to conform to the D&D rules.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivendale View Post

Rivendale:
    You got it, Rivendale. I've got some catching up to do with Drizzt, myself. Those books I asked you if you've read? I haven't read them either! Some time soon I'll get to it.

While Salvatore's books aren't life-altering reads, they are a lot of fun and Drizzt has turned into one of my favorite characters in fantasy. As well as his nemisis Artemis Entreri.