Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Drenai Series - David Gemmell

All my forum searches just found Gemmell awards. So I will create a new thread for this series.

I just finished LEGEND. Good book. I sort of feel like I just read the final book in the saga and all the others will be prequels. Is that true? I already know some of them are.

I've read that there are 11 books in this series and for reading order, just read publication order starting with Legend. I do think I will read most if not all. It was a relatively short book. I don't think this will break my top 10, but it's a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    All my forum searches just found Gemmell awards. So I will create a new thread for this series.

I just finished LEGEND. Good book. I sort of feel like I just read the final book in the saga and all the others will be prequels. Is that true? I already know some of them are.

I've read that there are 11 books in this series and for reading order, just read publication order starting with Legend. I do think I will read most if not all. It was a relatively short book. I don't think this will break my top 10, but it's a good read.
    Pretty sure Legend was first in publication order. Story behind it was that David G wrote it when he knew he was seriously ill with cancer. The plan was to make citadel fall if cancer proved fatal, but save it if he recovered from the illness. He survived, thankfully, and went on to write many other fine books.

In chronological order of history of Drenai nation, think he wrote six before Legend, and four after.

One of my favourite authors. When he died, I was touched by the many pages of affectionate tributes he received on the BBC website. He was tremendously popular not just because of the books themselves, but because of the way he came across at book signings, etc.

I've only read King beyond the Gate.

Have to say it inspired a been there, done that reaction. Adventures of overpowered hero and epic companions, get bad buy plot, with abbreviated/simplistic character development.

I didn't find it bad by any means. It was readable and passed the time. Just somehow more formulaic or, um, skeletal (?), than novels like Mistborn, which one could describe the same way.

I love all his books - my all time favourite is lion of macedon

I've only read Legend so far. I enjoyed, but didn't love, it. But I do hope to follow up with more in the next year or two.

I would have to say its required reading for Gemmell newbies to read Legend, but its far from the best book in the series, or even close to best he has written.

My favorite books of his are the Jon Shannow - Jerusalem Man books. He is such a badass.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...-jerusalem-man

“What is your name?"
    Why?"
    So I can mark your grave...”
    ― David Gemmell, Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow)
    Last edited by ColdSun; May 15th, 2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
    I would have to say its required reading for Gemmell newbies to read Legend, but its far from the best book in the series, or even close to best he has written.

My favorite books of his are the Jon Shannow - Jerusalem Man books. He is such a badass.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...-jerusalem-man

“What is your name?"
    Why?"
    So I can mark your grave...”
    ― David Gemmell, Wolf in Shadow (Jon Shannow)
    I liked Legend, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to devour everything he's written. I've always read that Drenai is his best works. Obviously everyone has an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    I liked Legend, but I'm not sure I liked it enough to devour everything he's written. I've always read that Drenai is his best works. Obviously everyone has an opinion.
    Your loss. Also, maybe I'm just misunderstanding the tone of your post, but it comes off kind of rude to me. My reply was more to the other folks in the running spirit of the thread about where Legend falls in rating compared to his other books.
    Last edited by ColdSun; May 16th, 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Reading Legend first is probably for the best, as it lays out a lot of the world history and themes for the entire sequence. But from that point on I wouldn't read in publication order.

The Waylander books -- Waylander, In the Realm of the Wolf, Hero in the Shadows -- form a direct trilogy and should be read as such. They're also the three earliest titles in the sequence.

The next loose trilogy is Druss' tale -- The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend, The Legend of Deathwalker, Legend.

White Wolf contains an appearance by Druss as well and takes place between Deathwalker and Legend, but should be read as part of the Damned duology (White Wolf, The Swords of Night and Day).

The King Beyond the Gate draws upon much of Deathwalker but takes place well after Legend. Quest for Lost Heroes is a loose sequel.

Winter Warriors is completely standalone and pretty terrible.

So, having already read Legend, I'd read the remaining Drenai novels as follows:

Waylander
    Waylander II: In the Realm of the Wolf
    Hero in the Shadows

The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
    The Legend of Deathwalker

The King Beyond the Gate
    Quest for Lost Heroes

White Wolf
    The Swords of Night and Day

As far as his best work, that's easily his Troy trilogy. The Shannow books are also excellent, though Bloodstone is easily the weakest of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrin View Post

Winter Warriors is completely standalone and pretty terrible.

I was interested in all your post, because I'm interested in re-reading his works sometime, having read them just once in random order as I came across them. Very rare I do re-read stuff, but David G is a real favourite. So may be using your suggested order as foundation for a chunk of my winter reading.

I smiled when I saw your comment on Winter Warriors. It was first David Gemmell book i ever came across… and I thought it was pretty good, that's why I went on to seek out his others. I'll be interested my reaction to it if I ever do the re-read.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Sword in the Storm & Lion of Macedon are my favorite Gemmell books, but I've read a lot of them and have yet to read a bad one. The Drenai series is great. Enjoy!

I've tried twice now to read Legend and I just can't do it. If I had stumbled upon these books when I was 14 I'm sure I would have loved them.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    interesting to see Winter Warriors mentioned here, because it is the only book I've read by Gemmel after a lukewarm reaction to Legend. Winter Warriors was even weaker than Legend, so I just stopped trying to read his books. but maybe I was unlucky in my picks and he deserves another chance with Waylander or Lion of Macedon.

Personally I thought the first two Waylander books were the best of the bunch. The series does get a little tired towards the end, with Winter Warriors definitely being the low point as others have said.

I only read two books of his. But I like the way we writers. I'd recommend his works.