Books like fighting game themes

hey, I'm wondering if you know of a lot of books that have like a fighting game theme, like street fighter or mortal kombat, but a novel form. basically im intersted in heroic martial artists, some guns, swords and stuff, maybe a little bit of magic but mostly fighting. anyone have any recommendations? thanks!

Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar
    The one that pops out immediately for something like this is The Traveler's Gate series by Will Wight. Non-stop action/fighting.

Maybe Heroes Die by Matthew Stover.

If the amount of magic is irrelevant and the style of fighting doesn't have to be a formal 1on1 arena combat then I have many recommendations. I am not aware of any fantasy books that has the arena style 1v1 as the main plot. Anime/Manga/Comic might be more prone to that style.(I googled and came back with a book called Arena Mode)

Here are a few light, fun, fast paced action packed reads. Lots of 1v1 fights!

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
    Night Angel by Brent Weeks
    Vlad Taltos by Steven Brust

Here are a few that are a little more indepth, but have a lot of 1 on 1 fighting in them as well.

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson
    Acts of Caine by Mathew Stover
    First Law by Joe Abercrombie

Here are a few that have lots of action, but not as much 1on1, as the action is mostly war based with hand to hand mixed in with magic.

Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence
    Riyria Revelations my Michael Sullivan
    Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

All 9 of those books are thought of as some of the best in fantasy. I would not recommend a book that is terrible just because it has some sort of mortal kombat style fighting. While that might be what you want to read about, it won't help if the writing and the author explaining the fighting isn't doing a very good job. These books may not be 100% what you want, but the author does an amazing job at explaining the fighting in such a way that you can visualize it and enjoy it.
    Last edited by chris777; October 22nd, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Whoa, that's great. i hadnt heard of ANY of those. thanks!

David Gemmell - lots of his books feature one on one fighting in various guises - midnight falcon is the one I remember having actual gladiatorial battles in an arena.

When I think of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, I think of tournament fighting which is sometimes to the death. If that's what you are looking for, The Hunger Games and its sequels immediately come to mind. So does the book Red Rising, which has been compared to The Hunger Games. There is also the Japanese book Battle Royale, which The Hunger Games has been accused of ripping off.