Book Recommendation: Traditional Fantasy

Hi all,
    Looking for a rec. for traditional coming-of-age fantasy.
    For example, right now I am reading ranger's apprentice, which is a nice series. Unfortunately, it is targeted toward young adult/children's readers. Basically, looking for something similar, but more dark or suited for adult audience --- coming of age fantasy with a male protagonist.

Thanks

wheel of time might fit the bill - as should magician. I also loved the belgariad although it might be a bit light weight.......I can also never resist recommending in legend born by laura resnick cause its good imho

Isn't this what people complain there are too much of?(used to) Do you want anything more specific than that?

Here's a few suggestions....
    • Riftwar Saga - Raymond E Feist
    • Wheel of time - Robert Jordan
    • EarthSea Trilogy - Ursula LeGuin
    • Harry Potter - JK Rowling
    • Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson
    • Night Angel - Brent Weeks

Also read these threads:

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...aves-the-world

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...ypical-fantasy

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showt...m-boy-approach

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Isn't this what people complain there are too much of?(used to)
    Yeah, some have, but as with most everything it varies depending on the audience. Just because some are tired of this set-up doesn't mean that there aren't others who are not.

Quote Originally Posted by AmethystOrator View Post
    Yeah, some have, but as with most everything it varies depending on the audience. Just because some are tired of this set-up doesn't mean that there aren't others who are not.
    ? I think you misunderstood. Being that there are "too much" of it, I meant that it should be easy to find. Not that it isn't something worth reading.

There is a lot of this out there. I'll add the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Great books.

? I think you misunderstood. Being that there are "too much" of it, I meant that it should be easy to find. Not that it isn't something worth reading.
    It seems that I did misunderstand. I had thought that you were asking about other people who dislike, or just say that there is too much of, this sort of traditional fantasy. Sorry.

As for being easy to find? I think the subject's harder to find among recent releases than it used to be, and that many older releases go out of print so that they are harder to find than they used to be, but that overall you're right and that even with all that they shouldn't be too hard to find.

I'd try Mistborn, Wheel of Time, Warded Man, Night Angel, or the Dark Elf Trilogy.

In addition to what has already been recommended I would recommend the Shannara series. Also a couple of good series by Angus Wells... The Godwars and Book of Kingdoms. I would also HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend Codex of Alera by Jim Butcher

IRT Eddings.... his works (which I really enjoyed) become a little more adult after the Belgariad.... The Mallorean, Elenium, and Tamuli series.

I would kind of disagree with WOT as a "traditional" coming of age fantasy.... might be because I am a bit older ... I started that series in early 1991.... so my frame of reference may be different than others..... but that series was definitely different than what I had been reading in fantasy for the previous 10-12 years. Anyway, the first 5-6 books are pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Kempster

I haven't had great experiences with re-reads, and am accordingly skeptical of some of the classics that people are recommending. You have to wonder if people are recommending them based on a re-read, or based on their distant memories of a time when they were vastly younger and had very different tastes.

Not all of the recommended books fall into this, and some are more recent and well liked. However, the more recent recommendations don't necessarily entirely fit into the traditional coming of age mold. For example, the Farseer series and Night Angel series both are coming of age stories, but they are sufficiently different that it doesn't feel like your revisiting your favorite genre.

There are two more recent coming of age stories that felt more traditional to me, but were still very original and widely and massively loved. Specifically, check out the first book in the Blood Song series. The book started out as an indie book, and blew people away, being the highest rated fantasy on Amazon for a while and attracted a traditional publisher. The indie version got pulled and it got reissued as a published work. People on this forum loved it. I know it stinks starting something that isn't finished, but the second book is written, and has a release date somewhere in 2014 I believe.

You could also try the King Killer Chronicles, which has two books out, not sure of release date on third but its been a while. Opinions are not 100% on King Killer, but it has a huge and rabid fan base.

Either of these two series would likely be great for you.
    Last edited by ArtNJ; January 1st, 2014 at 10:07 AM.

Considering the OP hasn't responded yet I feel anymore suggestions should be withheld until he proves he is actually listening! Regardless, wanted to point out a couples things. First there is this website:
    http://bestfantasybooks.com/coming-of-age-fantasy.html

There are two more recent coming of age stories that felt more traditional to me, but were still very original and widely and massively loved. Specifically, check out the first book in the Blood Song series. The book started out as an indie book, and blew people away, being the highest rated fantasy on Amazon for a while and attracted a traditional publisher. The indie version got pulled and it got reissued as a published work. People on this forum loved it. I know it stinks starting something that isn't finished, but the second book is written, and has a release date somewhere in 2014 I believe.

You could also try the King Killer Chronicles, which has two books out, not sure of release date on third but its been a while.
    Do you mean Raven's Shadow series? Blood Song being the first book? And imo King Killer is just as much traditional coming of age fantasy as Night Angel is.

Anyways, all good recommendations. And I have been debating adding this Raven's Shadow to my "To-Read-When-Complete" list. =)

Considering the OP hasn't responded yet I feel anymore suggestions should be withheld until he proves he is actually listening! Regardless, wanted to point out a couples things. First there is this website:
    http://bestfantasybooks.com/coming-of-age-fantasy.html

Do you mean Raven's Shadow series? Blood Song being the first book? And imo King Killer is just as much traditional coming of age fantasy as Night Angel is.

Anyways, all good recommendations. And I have been debating adding this Raven's Shadow to my "To-Read-When-Complete" list. =)
    Yeah its so funny when the OP dissappears and threads keep going and going. So its Raven's Shadow and not Blood Song? That is what happens when you pick a name not obviously connected with anything. I've forgotten if I even had a clue what either was supposed to mean.

As far as traditional goes, Night Angel does have a teen, learning a trade/powers, and a girl, so I cant really argue if you want to call it traditional, I was just reacting to my impression that it moves so fast and he becomes bad-ass so quickly that the coming of age stuff is really just a brief introduction and not as thematically important as it is in the traditional model. Night Angel does a ton better with the action than the character development.

EarthSea Trilogy - Ursula LeGuin
    It hasn't been a trilogy for quite some time now. Or is that Fanon Discontinuity?

The Republic of Newfoundland and Labrador
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtNJ View Post
    I haven't had great experiences with re-reads, and am accordingly skeptical of some of the classics that people are recommending. You have to wonder if people are recommending them based on a re-read, or based on their distant memories of a time when they were vastly younger and had very different tastes.
    Someone here suggested the Shannara books, and I have recently re-read the first trilogy, First King, and the Heritage series. Those have held up far, far better than I thought they would when I began re-reading. I read the first two Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and everything in "The Dark Tower" up until the end of "Wizard and Glass," and the Lord of the Rings for the first time in forever since I stopped reading Shannar years ago, so I assumed I'd find Shannara kind of weak on a re-read compared to that stuff. In fact I found it surprisingly deep. I think the problem is that I found Shannara less and less good as time went on and more books entered the series, and I forgot how good the originals were. The characters, patience in story-telling, and world building in those books is just incredible. And the way it is so obviously using fantasy tropes from Lord of the Rings to allow the story to be told with a focus on things other than establishing genre is much more intelligent than people who think it is a "rip-off" give it credit. Yes, Allanon is like Gandalf. A big, dark, post-nuclear Gandalf. Yes, Flick is like Sam. A version of Sam who is adopted brother to Frodo, and actually far less able than Frodo. Yes, the Sword is like the Ring, in that it's the MacGuffin the fellowship seeks, but I won't spoil for you what it's magic power is and how much different it is than an evil ring of invisability.

I think this is a great "coming of age" set of stories. Of particular interest to me is the fact that my favourite characters are still mostly the same, but for different reasons, which implies the stories changed for me, but still suit me just fine. Also, this time I actually liked Allanon.

Search Tool

This group made a search tool they call HQ Power Search where you enter the genre's of Fantasy you like and it provides results that match.

I tried a few searches and the results only seem to fall within 30-40 series/properties, but they were generally all good works.