Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brys
    I think Jaime is pronounced Hi - me, but I'm not sure.
    J is commonly pronounced as an H in Spanish. For example fajita, Juan, Jorge, Jesus. Still I don't think many English speakers think of pronouncing Jesus as Hé-soos so I've presumed all along Jaime was Jay-mee. One can always look to Martin for his intended pronunciation.

I'd have thought that if he wanted us to pronounce it Jay-mee he'd just have written it Jamie. Still, it isn't particularly important.

I'm pretty certain the name Jaime is pronounced Hi-me in France and Belgium as well, but I haven't ever seen it in the UK, though.

If you like Harry Potter series then you might like Lord of the rings
    Last edited by Crazy_Pensive; September 7th, 2005 at 08:51 AM.

Allrighty guys, I need some ideas...

Loved:
    Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series and the first Sundering book
    Storm Constantine's Wraeththu books and others
    Neil Gaiman's American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust (haven't read Anasai Boys yet)
    Stephen King's Dark Tower Series
    Anne Rice's Witching Hour and Vampire series (but hated, absolutely hated the sell-out end)
    Anne McCaffery's Pern books
    JK Rowlings
    kid who wrote Eragon - was allright!

Had to force myself to finish/didn't finish/was only so-so
    Guy Gavriel Kay Fionvar Tapestry (will give it another go)
    Anne Bishop Pillars of the World
    Philip Pulman Dark Materials (it was OK)
    Piers Anthony (too tidy of endings, big buildups to fast finishes)

So, to summarize... I want to fall in love with a character or two. I'd like some raw/passionate/sexy/dark/evil descriptions. I want to read beautiful, yet efficient language (Dark Tower is a good example, for me. It was the best of Kings career). I want a suspenseful plot. I am not crazy about science fiction, and prefer fantasy.

Any ideas?

Welcome equinox (I closed your other thread, btw, since this seems the thing you are looking for)

I have seen very favorable comparisions between Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel saga and Sarah Monette's Melusine, so chances are if you like one author, you may like the other.

I think comparisions, at least in tone and writing, can be drawn between Greg Keyes' Kingdom of Thorn and Bone and Carey's Sundering duology - both are high/epic fantasy written beautifully and evocatively. Both are great takes on traditional Epic Fantasy.

Speaking of traditional Epic Fantasy, one of our moderators and a writer whose forums we host - Gary Wassner - has a very good Epic Fantasy saga going right now The GemQuest saga, thus far comprising the following books:
    The Twins
    The Awakening
    The Shards

If you've enjoyed Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, I think you will enjoy Charlie Huston's new vampire/mystery/crime/noir novel Already Dead

King's Dark Tower saga and it's elements of a multiverse has some similarities to Moorcock's Eternal Champion saga, most notably the ELRIC books.

As for Neil Gaiman, I like him quite a bit, too. If you liked Neverwhere, get your hands on China Mieville's King Rat. Both deal with the dark fantastic underworld of London. Both very good, too.

As for authors writing in the (pardon the pun) Anne Rice vein, check out this thread:
    Supernatural Fantasy: Ghosts, Vampires, Werefolk and Wizards
    Last edited by Rob B; January 17th, 2006 at 10:19 PM.

equinox,
    Welcome. Have you read any Lois McMaster Bujold?
    The Curse of Chalion
    Paladin of Souls
    The Hallowed Hunt

There's an excerpt of the first chapter of The Curse of Chalion here
    Last edited by Soon Lee; January 17th, 2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Typo

If you liked the Kushiel trilogy than you might also like Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Tigana' and 'A Song for Arbonne'. Do not worry, they are VERY different from Finovar Tapestry which you have read. Tigana has the best theme I have ever read in a fantasy novel and Kay's characterization in his latter books is great. See if you don't fall for Blaise, Brendon and Dianora (sp?)!

If you liked Neverwhere than you might like King Rat (mentioned by Rob B), Simon R. Green's 'Nightside' series which is a fun little romp and very similiar to The Dresden Files in tone and style. It also deals with a London inside a London, the Nightside, which is the gathering place of everything surreal and grey, or just plain evil.

You might also like Robin Jarvis's work, though good luck in finding any of his books outside UK. Other authors who have written on the dark seedy alternate London theme are Ian MacLeod (The Light Ages), Michael Moorcock, Michael D. Larrabieti (The Borribles) and Christopher Fowler (Disturbia).

If you liked Harry Potter than you are just plain out of luck. Their's nothing similiar in English language.

Oh, you might also want to read 'The Silmarillion' by Tolkien if you haven't already done so. It might throw an interesting light or two on the Sundering duology.

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    I would second the recommendation of McMaster Bujold. But I am not with "Kushiel trilogy" then Tigana - I love Carey's work but did not like Tigana a lot.

If you like Harry Potter - and think Eragon was at least alright (I personally thought it was okay to read but had some serious problems like dialogue and the attempts at humour), then take a close look at what YA fiction can offer you. Especially the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud (starting with The Amulett of Samarkand, followed by The Golem's Eye and ending with Ptolemy's Gate): Bartimaeus is a smart, funny and interesting story set in an alternate world that is lead by Magicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg
    If you liked Harry Potter than you are just plain out of luck. Their's nothing similiar in English language.
    What about Diane Duane's Young Wizards Series which starts with "So You Want to Be a Wizard"?

You also might like Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl books.

Quote Originally Posted by equinox
    So, to summarize... I want to fall in love with a character or two. I'd like some raw/passionate/sexy/dark/evil descriptions. I want to read beautiful, yet efficient language (Dark Tower is a good example, for me. It was the best of Kings career). I want a suspenseful plot. I am not crazy about science fiction, and prefer fantasy.
    Nice challenge from your likes and dislikes!

First off, go ahead and read Anansi Boys: though not as dark as say American Gods or Neverwhere, I don't see how you just won't be tickled to death with this tale of the trickster god's brood.

And if you like raw/passionate/sexy/dark/evil descriptions written in beautiful yet efficient language, a suspenseful plot, and maybe even want to fall in love with a character or two, may I suggest Clive Barker's Imajica. Considered his best work by many (I prefer Galilee, though many long-time fans were turned off by its dry, soap opera-esque almost mainstream fiction style).

Having recommended Imajica, I will admit I read it when I was younger (17) and so was more apt to fall in love with a book and its characters, but I did do a reread a couple of years later (19) and still loved it then. Okay, still pretty young, and its due for another reread, but still, wow. Judith, Gentle, and bestill my fantasy-lovin' heart, Pie 'oh' Pah, undoubtedly one of the most remarkable characters I've come across in fantastic fiction.

Guarded by the Moon Moderator Lani's Avatar
    equinox,
    In addition to all the recommendations above, I would also suggest Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman -- the first book is Black Sun Rising. There are definitely some cool characters to be found there.

new and need a little help

I recently watched the harry potter movies when my wife and son were out of town and surprisingly I enjoyed them. My sister had the books for her daughter so I read them and enjoyed them more than the movies.

I decided to give the genre a try and found this site and looked for recomendations in the stickies. I went and bought an RR Martin book. The first one in the current series(dont remember the name). I was dissapointed because there were to many characters and to much going on. Hated reading 10 pages on one person and the jumping to someone else. I did enjoy the part about the kid who went to the wall. I read all of his sections and gave up on the other characters.

I decided to give it one more try and got Paolini's book Earragon and enjoyed it enough to get eldest. Only dissapointing part about it was the 3rd book is not out and I feel like I had to walk out of the theater halfway through the movie. I have to say I enjoyed Paolini's books better than Rowlin's

I did see the LOTR movies and Narnia but I can't say that I would have any interest in reading the books

So that in mind does anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Last edited by prg; January 18th, 2006 at 11:22 AM.

Thank you! Thank you!

I have made a list, and plan to hit the library and used bookshop soon!

Funny enough, I did read A Song For Arbonne, by Kay, and while I enjoyed it, it did not leave a lasting impact on me (obviously, or I wouldn't have forgotten that I had read it!) but I did pick up the Fionvar Tapestry. I will give Kay another go. Perhaps I didn't give myself enough enough time to cool off after Carey's steaminess to be fair to Kay's more conservative style!

From these recommendations and from Amazon, I think Barker's Imajica will be my next read (I do own Galilee, the first four chapters have been read, but nothing more). Lois McMaster Bujold sounds like a big thumbs up. And of course, as soon as Anasai Boys comes out in paperback, I will buy it. King Rat seems good too!

Really, thank you all!

If you enjoyed the Harry Potter books, perhaps you'd enjoy some more "young adult" fantasy. Personally (and I know many would agree with me) I feel that books intended for young people are usually a lot more fun to read--and often just as intelligent (if not more so) than their adult counterparts.

I would highly recommend Garth Nix's Sabriel. It's a very imaginative and fascinating story. Only one viewpoint, and easy to read.

Also wonderful is Phillip Pullman's trilogy, His Dark Materials--the first book is called The Golden Compass. Again, wildly imaginative--and these books will definitely make you think.

Another excellent young adult series--although personally I would classify it as adult since it does contain some sex and violence--is The Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. The first book is called Across the Nightingale Floor. (I loved this book so much I read it in one day.) If you're interested in Japanese culture you'd love these books. They're very beautifully written and have a strong sense of atmosphere. They follow the struggles of two young lovers--only two viewpoints, so the story isn't too complex.

I can't think of any adult fantasy to recommend to you since you mentioned you didn't like the epic nature of Martin's story. Most of the adult fantasy I've read has had complex, multiple point-of-view storylines with lots going on. There are a few authors these days doing different things that that though--maybe someone else can help you with some recommendations.

Good luck with your search, and don't give up--the fantasy genre is quite varied and holds some real treasures, I'm sure you'll find something you love sooner or later!

What do you like to read outside of fantasy? Fantasy is a huge and varied genre, if there is a kind of story you really enjoy you'll probably be able to find a corollary in fantasy.