Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Aside from John Marco's Tyrants and Kings series, are there any other books that would appeal to GRRM fans?

It's always difficult cause tastes differ.
    So if you like the middle age setting and court intrigues I'd recommend Kate Elliott's Crown of Star series or Robin Hobb's Farseer.
    If you're more interested in fighting and struggles I can recommend Sara Douglass' Battle Axe.
    If you're more into the dark atmosphere I'd go for J. V. Jones' the Sword of Shadows.

If you like GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire chances are you will enjoy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. In a couple of interviews, Martin acknowledged this series that helped inspire him to write ASOIF.

Uh, Moderator
    Erebus -
    Just trying to work out where you got these books published? Being a fellow Aussie, I expected you would have an Australian publisher. Am I correct in assuming it is not? Are the prices on the website in US dollars?

Sorry for the off topic post.

If you enjoyed GRRM's "Song of Fire and Ice" you will also enjoy Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series. Both are on the darker side. Both authors do not hessitate to kill off main characters and both stores have magic systems that are unique. GRRM was my favorite author until i began to read Erikson's series. So far, the best series i have picked up.

masochistic biscuit
    if you like fantasy you might like david gemmell

Puh-leeeeeez can i ban him, guys?

(j/k )

Uh, Moderator
    How about this Sam:

If you like David Gemmel, you might like John Marco's Jackal of Nar (I would say Tyrants and Kings, but I have only just finished the first book).

They both have a reasonable amount of fighting, but Marco ups the ante with more interesting characters and politics.

I just got a bit of a similar vibe from these two authors.

I think probably men like Gemmell more, or that's the idea I have anyway. Maybe that's your problem Sam. I just enjoy the good descriptions of lots and lots of fighting strategy, morale, etc. every so often. I'd be interested to know if any girls are into Gemmell.

Yes, Eventine, my trilogy was published in the US, but Tale Spin was published here in Oz and sells for $14.95AUS delivered anywhere in Australia - a little more for overseas orders.

[This message has been edited by erebus (edited February 21, 2002).]

If you like Gaiman you will propably like Kim Newman ("Anno Dracula", "Bloody red baron", Dracula Cha Cha Cha").
    Unfortunatly he seems to be published in the UK only.
    His books are at the same time well researched, hilarious, Horror, alternate History, Satire and just bloody good.

Anno Dracula retells the "real" story of Dracula, after he killed van Helsing and married Queen Viktoria, turning a third of the British population in vampires.

It also featuers a serial killer who "ripps" Vampire whores in the Eastend.

With cameos by Mycroft Holmes, Dr. Jekyll, Dr. Moreau, Dr. Fu Man Chu, Professor Moriaty, the man who would be king, any many others.

I would go with the 'if you like Gemmel you'd like Marco' thing. - except, yes, Marco has more politics - and is BETTER WRITTEN - and has a BETTER PLOT.

Infact, i have to say that MY opinion is that:

If you like Gemmel you'll like just about anything.

But i'm aware that i'm in the minority

Uh, Moderator
    I agree on your comments on Marco Sam, but I have a feeling that Gemmel fans like a certain style of fantasy, and wouldn't enjoy, say, a very descriptive author like Janny Wurts. Hey - I just did an anti-recomendation

Thanks for the info erebus. Nice banner by the way

[This message has been edited by Eventine (edited February 21, 2002).]

Uhrmm, have to disagree with you, Eventine.

I like David Gemmell but I also like Janny Wurts. They're both actually two of my fave fantasy authors around.

Now I unfortunately still have to catch the John Marco fever though I admit to reading only his first book yet. I guess I had too high expectations on him after reading the glowing praise he has gotten.

Sorry if I can't be on-topic here...

Uh, Moderator
    Sorry to continue off topic but...
    I agree with you on Marco estrangehero. I have only read the Jackal of Nar, and I can't really rave about him at this stage. Maybe as the series goes on?