Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkeus View Post
    I usually like brandon sanderson, but warbreaker is an older work.
    Right, because a book published less than 2 years ago (in 2009) is an older work.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Right, because a book published less than 2 years ago (in 2009) is an older work.
    when he has done 6 enormous books between, yes.

Edit: sorry... i sort of thought it was done alongside elantris, hence before mistborn/WoT/WoK.

Apparently, he worked on it some more since.
    Last edited by Arkeus; January 31st, 2011 at 08:38 PM.

Dresden Files
    Malazan
    Song Of Ice and Fire
    First Law Trilogy
    Codex Alera
    Iron Druid Chronicles
    Bartimaeus Trilogy
    Most books by Eddings and his ilk !!
    Locke Lamora
    Night Angel Trilogy
    Mistborn

and most of the 'top' books that are recommended in this forum

Just in case.. I love books with such kind of fast paced action and/or tight storylines with AMAZING characters !! Glokta, Batrimaeus, Tyrion !!
    Could you please suggest completed series
    What next ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax12 View Post
    Dresden Files
    -->Felix Castor series or Joe Pitt series, depending on how much noir you can tolerate

First Law Trilogy
    -->Best Served Cold and The Heroes

Iron Druid Chronicles
    -->any of a bazillion pretty much interchangeable UF series; maybe try the October Daye books or the Jesse James Dawson books

I liked Darren Shan - Cirque du Freak series a lot, loved them. Didn't like his Demonata series though, gave up twice after the second book.

What will I like after CdF?

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Younger Hobbit went from the Darren Shan to the Skullduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy: might be an option.

Link.

Mark
    Mark

bingley bingley beep kissmequick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax12 View Post
    Dresden Files

(
    Ben Aaronovitch: Rivers of London (Midnight Riot in the US), Moon Over Soho. third book due in June. Great fun - a few flaws but I was enjoying myself so much I didn't care.

Fated, by Benedict Jacka - only the first book is out just yet, but I think they will be out at 3 month intervals. Very, very good. Jim Butcher blurbed it as 'A book so good it reminded me why I got into storytelling in the first place'. Also craftily refs a certain Chicago wizard PI.... lol. Well worth reading imo

Sandman Slim books. I can only say - I pretty much had to read in one sitting. Awesome. Several books out.

ETA: I'll second the Carey nom - fab writer and nice bloke too.

homicidalbookworm
    Quote Originally Posted by kissmequick View Post
    Sandman Slim books. I can only say - I pretty much had to read in one sitting. Awesome. Several books out.
    I agree completely. And there's a new one due out later this year as well. Devil Said Bang

[SCI-FI INSERT - The character reminds me of Takeshi Kovacs from the Altered Carbon series by Richard Morgan, in that he turns violent at the drop of a hat. And such fun violence by the Sandman too]

Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this question . . .

I just watched the Hobbit and I loved the character of Radagast the Brown. His home, his style, his manner of transportation, and the idea of him living in the middle of nature was awesome! Are there any books that feature simiar wizards? More "earthy" and nature oriented if that makes sense? So basically if I liked him, then what other books would I like? Thanks!

Recently I listened to and thoroughly enjoyed Ready Player One, John Dies at the End and its sequel. Anybody have any recommendations that are similar to these?

It seems that if you like Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood you might like Django Wexler's The Thousand Names and/or D.B. Jackson's Thieftaker since all three are part of what's being called Flintlock Fantasy

I have read and liked:
    Song of Ice and Fire
    The Night Angel Trilogy
    Mistborn
    The First Law
    The Malazan Series
    Shadow Saga
    The Broken Empire Trilogy
    The Troy Trilogy

I am about to start reading the Gentleman Bastard series. I would love to have some other good series lined up for when I finish. I also have The Godless World, but have been putting it off for a awhile because I don't know anyone who has read it yet. I got it simply because of a interest in vikings, if anyone has read it I would love to know if it is worth reading.

I also just finished the Tales of the Ketty Jay series and would love to know of other books similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperJudge View Post
    I have read and liked:
    Song of Ice and Fire
    The Night Angel Trilogy
    Mistborn
    The First Law
    The Malazan Series
    Shadow Saga
    The Broken Empire Trilogy
    The Troy Trilogy

I am about to start reading the Gentleman Bastard series. I would love to have some other good series lined up for when I finish. I also have The Godless World, but have been putting it off for a awhile because I don't know anyone who has read it yet. I got it simply because of a interest in vikings, if anyone has read it I would love to know if it is worth reading.

I also just finished the Tales of the Ketty Jay series and would love to know of other books similar to that.
    You've read most of the books people suggest around here, or at least the ones that I do!

Considering your list is about my Top 10, I don't have many more to add, but a few I think you should try:

King Killer Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss
    Prince of Nothing - R Scott Bakker
    Acts of Caine - Mathew Stover
    Chronicles of The Black Company - Glen Cook

This is my top 10 list so far(though I suspect Black Company to break into it, reading now)

• First Law Trilogy Joe Abercrombie (9.1)
    • Wheel of Time Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson (8.9)
    • Song of Ice and Fire George RR Martin (8.6)
    • Malazan Book of the Fallen Steven Erikson(8.5)
    • Rift War Saga Raymond E Feist (8.5)
    • King Killer Chronicles Patrick Rothfuss(8.4,?,?)
    • Prince of Nothing R. Scott Bakker(8)
    • Acts of Caine Mathew Stover(7.9)
    • Night Angel Trilogy Brent Weeks(7.8)
    • Mistborn Brandon Sanderson(7.8)

So I would also suggest Riftwar and Wheel of Time. But those two are of a different style than the others. I feel from your list i KNOW you would like the above suggestions, and WoT and Riftwar are definitely worth a shot too. I loved them both.

I would add the Demon Cycle to your list. Only the first 3 books are out right now...... I devoured them in just over a week. Peter V. Brett is the author. First book is The Painted Man if you are getting fro UK..... The Warded Man if USA purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by kempster View Post
    I would add the Demon Cycle to your list. Only the first 3 books are out right now...... I devoured them in just over a week. Peter V. Brett is the author. First book is The Painted Man if you are getting fro UK..... The Warded Man if USA purchased.
    Book 1 is good, and gets good reviews. But it's all downhill from there. I know to each their own, there are plenty of people who like them. I liked the first, the second was okay...and the third got such poor reviews that I don't even really want to bother. All the review states issues I was having with the second. The story lines are slow and do not move the plot at all. And Arlen's "love interest" just doesn't make sense the way she is written a lot. I really wanted to like this series.