Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Marco .... Jackal of Nar, ...Maybe as the series goes on?
    Yes the next two improve. The third (Saints of the Sword) was a superb book, as a last book in a trilogy and in and of itself.

Yeah...about that banner! How comes Erebus gets a massive self ad at the top of the page?

Hey FitzFlagg. Why don't you start one of those at the sci-fi forum? It would be welcomed!

Alai, why don't you start it?

Yeah...about that banner! How comes Erebus gets a massive self ad at the top of the page?
    Very easy...I waived our 50K a year Mod's salary for all the hard work we do, in lieu of some ad placements!

Salary!

We're supposed to get a salary! And here're DennizM and I, doing this "for love".

Dag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Currently seeking gainful employment. He does after all have four little ogglets to feed.
    Sam you of all people! It's in the 4th edition of the by-laws. Man don't you people ever read the small print!

Ogg, man, I think you have the last surviving copy........

Could someone please tell me the connection between Kay's Fionavar Tapestry and Donaldson? The trilogy was no where near as black, depressing and involved as Donaldson.

Both Kay's Fionavar Tapestry and Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, The Unbeliever are cross-over stories--people from our world are transported to a secondary world.

Thanks for clearing that up. so, the readers who enjoyed those books, should also like the Soprano Sorcoress, by Modesitt.

If you like $$$$$$$$ you might like ********.

Sorry. Wanted to bump the topic for y'all.

But here, let me chime in on the If You Like Gemmell... You Might Like STEVE BRUST!!!!

--gabe http://hypermode.blogspot.com

Shehzad posted:
    try Michael Stackpole's Talion: Revenant or, even better, Matthew Woodring Stover's Heroes Die.
    For those folks who've picked up Stover on my recommendation, I'd suggest getting a copy of Stackpole's Talion. Both good examples of Heroic Fantasy. Talion is a bit lighter, but still an entertaining and enjoyable read.

Also, if you liked Neil Gaiman's American Gods I'd suggest hunting down a copy of Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood.

If you like Kay's Fionavar you might like Joel Rosenberg's series because both have crossovers from this world to an alternative world. Or you may like Juliett Marillier. Her prose in "Daughter of the Forest" was lovely. If you like Gemmel you may enjoy Mike Resnick (though he's more science fiction.) Who would you compare with Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody series? Maybe Sarah Douglas' Enchanter series?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    Suevee

Strangely, I'd be inclined to disagree with that Rosenberg recommendation, at least when it's based on Kay. What I've learned from others, but especially from my own reading, is that Fionavar Tapestry is a fantastic story, despite the fact that five main characters are cross-overs from Earth, not because of it. I thought that was one of the very few lesser elements in an otherwise marvellous story. I know some folks who really didn't like these books, and one of the main reasons is that the characters are cross-overs. Still, it might work for some, I just think that Fionavar is fantastic because of other factors.