Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Right after the trilogy, actually e-M.

There's also the 2 additional books on this barbarian plainsman character in Darwath that Hambly wrote. (Forgot his name.)

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    Originally posted by estranghero
    Right after the trilogy, actually e-M.
    Thanks e-hero - that would explain why I have it listed as no. 4 of a trilogy. I thought I was losing it for a while there.

I've also heard of these barbarian ones, but damned if I can remember their names either. If we're patient, someone might come and put us out of our misery.

Originally posted by e-Morgana

Thanks e-hero - that would explain why I have it listed as no. 4 of a trilogy. I thought I was losing it for a while there.

Wouldn't that be called a sequel?

I know, I'm sorry... couldn't resist!!!

Mother of Winter is a sequel to the Darwath trilogy, but by no means should it be considered part of the series. It's a standalone book that deals with a problem that arises after the trilogy is over (and is dealt with in that one book). The reason those things set it MORE apart from the trilogy than usual is that the trilogy is so well-thought-out as a trilogy... it doesn't come to a false start at the end of book one, interesting things come to light all the way through the series, and so on. But anyway, I guess we're off-topic for this thread.

In case anyone cares, there's another standalone in the same world called Icefalcon's Quest. Not that good though.

lemming

Back in Cairns enjoying the onset of Summer
    See e-h!! I just knew someone would step in and help!!

Icefalcon - he's the barbarian. Now I can sleep tonight.

Such helpful people here, e-M. Thanks lemming...

Icefalcon - he's the barbarian. Now I can sleep tonight.
    So can I. Actually one of the better characters around, now that I remember him...

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    If you liked King's Dark Tower series, you'll love Gemmell's John Shannow novels. Cowboys in Fantasy genre??? I was worried but it works well.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I caught the thread late.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    If you liked John Shirley's Demons, then you might like Stephen Laws' Daemonic.

For readers who enjoyed the nautical aspect, sea serpents and Pirates (particularly Kennit) of Robin Hobb's great Liveship Traders trilogy, I would recommend China Mieville's The Scar, which for the record, IMHO, is a better read than PSS.

There was an earlier mention of Tad William's Otherland series. Those who liked it might want to check out 'DONNERJACK' by Roger Zelazny and Jane Linskold. Lindskold finished it after Zelazny's death.

Donnerjack explores the same themes of virtual vs real and manages it in one volume as opposed to William's lengthy four. IMO a better story too.

S

I just read through the whole thread hehe. I think David Gemmell is great by the way. Infact I even love his writing style, the interaction of characters and the straightforward reading (and yes I also love Neil Gaiman, Iain M Banks, George RRM, and one of my favourite writing styles, Clive Barker). DG is exactly was it says on the packet.

Anyways i posted to say, DG i find very similar to James Barclay IMHO (so far anyway, just read the four books available presently form JB).

Hmmm i dont think i have read anything else similar .. i need to read more

BUMPEDY BUMP BUMP

I really like this topic, so I'm resurrecting it.

If you liked Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, you'd probably like Jeffrey Fords Physiognomy and it's sequels. Both worlds have a similar feel, both protagonists are in similar positions of power and go through similar (yet quite different) journeys in the world and of self-discovery.

If you like Ray Feist's Magician and subsequent Krondor books, chances are you will like Fritz Leiber's stories of the world's greatest swordsmen, Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser. Feist acknowledges Leiber as one of his primary influences and the Theives in Krondor owe a huge debt to Leiber's Thieves Guild.

Hello,

The first trilogy I read based on a suggestion by a friend was:
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

...and here's my first question.

If I liked MS&T, what other series would be comparable ?
    I saw a recommendation by FitzFlagg mentioning:
    GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire . Any other suggestions ?

Thanks

Anthony

If you like Pratchett, you might also like Wodehouse, although he's not fantasy. (It's the humor I'm recommending.)

Originally posted by Tony-V
    If I liked MS&T, what other series would be comparable ?

You could always check out Williams's Otherland Series. It has a more sci-fi feel to it, but it is also very good.