Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    If you enjoyed the cross-over aspect of Stephen R. Donaldson's work, Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry and the magic book in Charles deLint's The Little Country you would probably enjoy Tad Williams latest The War of the Flowers

If you enjoy Charles de Lint's Newford stories, or "urban fantasy", then you would very probably enjoy The Wood Wife by Terri Windling. I noticed it's being reissued at the moment.

If you liked Wizard of Earthsea by Leguin you might like Riddlemaster Trilogy by McKillip. Sometimes I get the stories crossed in my mind.

If you like Fiest and Wurts Empire Trilogy you might like The Stone DAnce of the Chameleon Trilogy by Ricardo Pinto (though Pinto's much better)

If you liked The Mists of Avalon you may like Juliet MArillier's Sevenwaters Trilogy.

If you like Steven Erikson you might like The Pearl Saga by Eric Van Lustbader.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If you like Fiest and Wurts Empire Trilogy you might like The Stone DAnce of the Chameleon Trilogy by Ricardo Pinto (though Pinto's much better)
    Umm what's the connection? I have not read Pinto but from what i've read about the book it has nothing in common with the Empire trilogy. Style or content wise. Am I wrong?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    If you like Steven Erikson you might like The Pearl Saga by Eric Van Lustbader.

How do these two compare?

I agree with Fitz that Book of New Sun and the Physiognomy have a similar feel at points, but Ford's book is on a smaller scale.

Originally posted by Caldazar

Umm what's the connection? I have not read Pinto but from what i've read about the book it has nothing in common with the Empire trilogy. Style or content wise. Am I wrong?
    There are a lot of people who really enjoy the Empire books, so I tried to think of something that was similar. In terms of style they are quite different, Fiest and Wurts have a very accessible style, while Pinto's prose is a lot better. However I think that in content they are similar on a number of issues. Firstly the main character, one of the highest caste, but one who does not share their traditional cruelty, who is often ashamed of his own race. The books have a similar feel, and links can be drawn between the societies in both series. The political intrigue in the books also makes them seem quite similar.

Hmm think I'll give it a shot, if it's anywhere near as good as the Empire series I would be pretty pleased.

I liked the empire series but not the Ricardo Pinto books.

Frosty The Snowman... Frostmourne's Avatar
    If you liked LOTR epic story with different races and wars, and you liked the magic in Harry Potter, then you might like Eragon.

How about if you liked the LotR you might like Dennis L. McKiernan's Iron Tower Trilogy.

I haven't seen much if anything about David B. Coe mentioned. His most recent series Winds of the Forelands is great. I would say if you like Plot driven storylines (i.e. Hobbs and GRRM) then check out Coe. His earlier series is good also ( The Lon-Tobyn Chronicle).

I like Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series, her retelling of the fairytales, and her Elven books with Andre Norton. And I've retained my early adolescent love of L.J. Smith's novels, especially the Night World series. I like the Harry Potter series and I found (I know this is probably heresy on this site) the LotR trilogy boring. But I'm really looking for books like Laurell K. Hamilton(the only writer whose books I buy in hardcover)'s, and like Anne Bishop's to a lesser extent. I like books that are fun, that really focus on the 'fantasy' in fantasy. Any recommendations?

*****bump*****

ran out of stuff to read

so i need a recommendation.

i liked:
    1.steven erikson
    2.grr martin
    3.frank herbert - dune (i only mention this because it's one of the best books i've ever read)
    robin hobb
    tolkien
    dan simmons - hyperion (okay so it's sf, but it's the last book i read and i'm still under the impression)
    anne bishop - dark jewells
    cs friedman - coldfire

i DID NOT like:
    glen cook - the black company (i read the first four then got bored)
    tad williams - mst - (boring, managed to read the first book, deciced to stop torturing myself half way through the second)
    guy gavriel kay - even more boring than the above

i like: gray characters, sad love stories (this especially, wouldn't mind if the whole novel was centered around one - like a shakespeare's tragedy in a fantasy setting), main characters dying (red wedding rulz), psycho main characters with childhood traumas who indiscriminately kill everyone around them (berserk manga, heh), scenes that make me cry (never happened yet, but i was close a few times)

i hate: happy endings, heroes must save the world plots, deus ex machina (this especially), predictability - take any fr novel as an example

i hope you can recommend something based on this..

thanks