Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fantasy from the 1980s

I'm new to the fantasy genre am am looking for recommendations for books published in the 1980s. I am reading Raymond Feist's Riftwar series and enjoying it. I'm open-minded about anything from that era; i.e. it doesn't have to be a literary masterpiece. If a lot of people were reading something back then that is no longer appreciated, that's ok with me. I want to read what people were reading at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Allardyce View Post
    I'm new to the fantasy genre am am looking for recommendations for books published in the 1980s. I am reading Raymond Feist's Riftwar series and enjoying it. I'm open-minded about anything from that era; i.e. it doesn't have to be a literary masterpiece. If a lot of people were reading something back then that is no longer appreciated, that's ok with me. I want to read what people were reading at that time.
    Really? Okay, well Wheel of Time started in the eighties if that counts...

The Sword of Shannara series was popular at the time, and still is to a certain extent.

Tanith Lee's Birthgrave and Flat Earth series were (very) 80s

Still, even the Gor series was popular in the eighties (don't go there...) !

Didn't the DragonLance stories first come out in the eighties? A quick check with Wiki confirms that the first book came out in 1984. And I actually like those books. They certainly aren't 'masterpieces' by any degree, but I thought they were entertaining. Tasslehoff Burrfoot is still one of my all-time favorite fantasy characters.

I only read the very first trilogy though, so I have no idea about the other series the first one spawned. Oh, wait, I take that back. I read one or two novels from a secondary series, something about Raistlin and Caramon, the twin brothers who were so distinctly different from each other. Ehhh, I don't remember that I liked it as much as the first books though.

the Rake
    Anyone else a soccer/football fan and have a chuckle over the poster's name? Probably entirely coincidental and definitely very tangential but Sam Allardyce is the most unintentionally hilarious and deluded managers in pro sports?

I think 80s fantasy and I think Feist, Eddings, Anthony, Brooks, Tad Williams. All kind of conventional. Williams is at least well-written and Feist is fun.

I recommend these:

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Lyonesse Trilogy and Cugel's Saga by Jack Vance.

The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and Mordant's Need by Stephen Donaldson.

Soldier of the Mist and Soldier of Arete by Gene Wolfe.

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers.

Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart.

The City in the Autumn Stars by Michael Moorcock.

The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams.

Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.

Mythago Wood and Lavondyss by Robert Holdstock.

Harpy's Flight by Megan Lindholm.

The Eyes of the Dragon and The Talisman (with Peter Straub) by Stephen King.

Legend and The King Beyond the Gate by David Gemmell.

Gilgamesh the King by Robert Silverberg.

The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley (young adult).

Thumbs up Jussi

Great list for the 80s! I second this! Tad Williams, Stephen r donaldson, robert holdstock....Great authors!!

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Richard Adams was one author I discovered in the 80's . Maia appeared in 1984, with a stand-alone prequel Shardik [1974] , both set in the imaginary Beklan Empire.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I am indeed a Rovers fan. I have ordered the following books as a start for my survey of 80s fantasy:

Dragonlance The Chronicles Trilogy- Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning

The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, Book 1)

The Sword of Shannara

The Dragonbone Chair

The Summer Tree

The Wounded Land

Soldier of the Mist

Several novels by Jonathan Carroll appeared in the 1980s: The Land of Laughs, Voice of Our Shadow, Bones of the Moon, Sleeping in Flame, and A Child Across the Sky.

These are not epic/heroic/medieval/Tolkein fantasy, but contemporary urban fantasy minus werewolves and vampires and their various and sundry hunters, stalkers, slayers, destroyers, and stompers-on.

Randy M.

Glen Cook's "The Black Company" novels were first published in the '80's and still stand up well. The first three novels were reprinted in an Omnibus a few years back called "Chronicles of The Black Company".

As for books that I haven't read in a long time and may not stand up as well:

Fred Saberhagen's three "Books of Swords", as well as the first five of his "Books of Lost Swords" were ubiquitous at every chain Bookstore that I visited.

Lyndon Hardy had a trilogy, all of which was published in the 80's, consisting of "Master of the Five Magics", "Secret of the Sixth Magic" and "Riddle of the Seven Realms". I recall finding at least one among that series at most bookstores back then as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Wild View Post
    I only read the very first trilogy though, so I have no idea about the other series the first one spawned. Oh, wait, I take that back. I read one or two novels from a secondary series, something about Raistlin and Caramon, the twin brothers who were so distinctly different from each other. Ehhh, I don't remember that I liked it as much as the first books though.
    The series with Caramon & Raistlin that you are thinking of was the first sequel (in order of publication) to the original Chronicles Trilogy. It consisted of "Time of the Twins", "War of the Twins" and "Test of the Twins".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just so you know, The Eye of the World was published in 1990, not the eighties.

Gene Wolfe - The Book of the New Sun trilogy
    John Crowley - Little, Big
    Tim Powers - The Anubis Gates
    Jack Vance - The Lyonesse trilogy
    David Gemmell - Legend
    Robert Holdstock - Mythago Wood

...and the first few Terry Pratchett books

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I would add The Book of New Sun by Gene Wolfe. Tolkien's Unfinished Tales had also just been published at the start of the 80's. I'll second Fionavar and Lyonesse.

Eddings and Salvatore probably made their biggest mark in the 1980s, so the Belgariad, the Mallorean, and the Drizzt books. Weis and Hickman's best in my opinion would be from the 1980s too and it is not their Dragonlance books but rather the Rose of the Prophet trilogy.

Haven't read it but The War of Powers would seem to qualify as would the Dragon Prince trilogy by Rawn.