Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozinante View Post
    Originally Posted by k1w1taxi
    Sylvia Faulkner-A stone cold foxy type
    Only one choice then Charlize Theron
    Originally Posted by k1w1taxiJoe Sikes- Computer guy(right?)
    Can't Recall offhand
    Originally Posted by k1w1taxi
    Marnie McInnes
    Vet

Damn! All right, you officially rock.
    Thanks. <Stares at ground and makes meaningless scuff marks with foot>

Cheers
    Lee

1CoolNerd The Lord of all Things Inane's Avatar
    k1w1taxi, yeah, Charlize Theron is about the right age, and has a good range of skills. Cool as a mule!
    You are management material. Thanks for keeping this going. Did I see you are from New Zealand?
    CDN

k1w1taxi, yeah, Charlize Theron is about the right age, and has a good range of skills. Cool as a mule!
    You are management material. Thanks for keeping this going. Did I see you are from New Zealand?
    CDN
    Yep, a Middle Earther! Actually about 50-60km from Hobbiton.

Cheers
    Lee

Talking

Coming to the conversation a little late, but I just had to put my two cents in since this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else talk about Legacy!

I'm super psyched to be talking about this but I have to ask... did you read the book? There is no way Charlize Theron is Sylvia. No way. "Her short brown hair and freckled cheeks... plain except for the eyes," does not equal Charlize. She's too beautiful for it, plus she's supposed to be 20 years younger than Cadmann. I was thinking someone more like Emily Blunt. She's pretty but she isn't in your face with it and she could pull off being torn between two men she really cares about.

For Cadmann I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be absolutely perfect. He played The Comedian in Watchmen and he looks rough around the edges, like he's been through a lot in his lifetime.

Terry - Dominic West
    MaryAnn - Sophia Myles or Rosamund Pike
    Ernst - Kevin Durand I know he typically places a bit of an idiot, but I think he could pull off being a formerly brilliant scientist who now has the mind of a ten year old.

We have to keep in mind that these were the top 1% of the population intellectually, and Cadmann was the warrior of that time. He was chosen out of everyone to be the one to fight any potential dangers they found on the planet.

The main thing I'm worried about is the Grendel. You're right about Avatar showing what is possible nowadays but if that beast isn't believable the whole thing will cave.

It's awesome that you're talking about this, I could never find anyone else who had any idea what the heck I was rambling on about!

1CoolNerd The Lord of all Things Inane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_Angel2. View Post
    Coming to the conversation a little late, but I just had to put my two cents in since this is the first time I've ever seen anybody else talk about Legacy!

I'm super psyched to be talking about this but I have to ask... did you read the book? There is no way Charlize Theron is Sylvia. No way. "Her short brown hair and freckled cheeks... plain except for the eyes," does not equal Charlize. She's too beautiful for it, plus she's supposed to be 20 years younger than Cadmann. I was thinking someone more like Emily Blunt. She's pretty but she isn't in your face with it and she could pull off being torn between two men she really cares about.

For Cadmann I think Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be absolutely perfect. He played The Comedian in Watchmen and he looks rough around the edges, like he's been through a lot in his lifetime.

Terry - Dominic West
    MaryAnn - Sophia Myles or Rosamund Pike
    Ernst - Kevin Durand I know he typically places a bit of an idiot, but I think he could pull off being a formerly brilliant scientist who now has the mind of a ten year old.

We have to keep in mind that these were the top 1% of the population intellectually, and Cadmann was the warrior of that time. He was chosen out of everyone to be the one to fight any potential dangers they found on the planet.

The main thing I'm worried about is the Grendel. You're right about Avatar showing what is possible nowadays but if that beast isn't believable the whole thing will cave.

It's awesome that you're talking about this, I could never find anyone else who had any idea what the heck I was rambling on about!
    All right! I am way behind the times on who is who in show bidness, so I am glad you are up on it. I have read Legacy of Heorot more than twenty times, and Beowulfs Children almost as many times.
    You are right, the Grendel has to be bad as can be,(bad as in way good) or else it is just another turkey of a movie. Heroes are worthless without a good nemesis. Welcome to Sff World, by the way. Glad to see another fan of Legacy.
    Not Sci Fi, but how about The Burning City as a movie too?

I read this book when I was about 15 (20 now) and still have the book after reading it about 50 times (and yes, there is sime duct tape on the spine after that much use). I noticed this thread has long ago stopped, but I would also want to see this book made into a movie. After all the crappy movies that have little to no story (or at the very least, contradictory stories), I would love to see a couple of the old dime store novels come to life on the silver screen. Not sure what I'm trying to accomplish by posting this, but the book crossed my mind and I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

It has been over 2 years since the first entry in this thread, but how about Bruce Greenwood for Cadmann Weyland? He does a good military type.

I don't know. Cadman's career was based primarily in Africa. I've always thought of him as a heavily weathered, rugged individuality. Not sure Greenwood could pull it off. Lets be honest, how many actors today could? The rest of the cast could be picked from popular names today as most are administrators, engineers, biologists, etc. I would almost go as far to say Liam Neeson would be a good pick for Cadman. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by engineer817 View Post
    I don't know. Cadman's career was based primarily in Africa. I've always thought of him as a heavily weathered, rugged individuality. Not sure Greenwood could pull it off. Lets be honest, how many actors today could? The rest of the cast could be picked from popular names today as most are administrators, engineers, biologists, etc. I would almost go as far to say Liam Neeson would be a good pick for Cadman. Thoughts?
    Neeson could probably pull it off. Gerard Butler as well. I just thought Greenwood was great as Christopher Pike in the Star Trek rewind, and he had another good military role in The Core. It wouldn't take much make-up or prosthesis to give him that weather-beaten look, and he looks about the right age - approximately 20 years older than most of the colonists, if I remember the description correctly. Niven and Pournelle did not describe any battle scars, but if they could re-grow legs, as described in Beowulf's Children, then they could probably erase scars as well.

Erase scars, yes, but would a Cadman have surgery or take what ever procedure to remove a scar or two? I'll be honest, I never got a chance to read Beowulf's children, but I'm willing to bet he didn't mention removing any scars. Gerard Butler just might have a shot at pulling off a convincing dishonored soldier. good choices between Neeson and Butler. Now, wheres Spielberg?