Books like Patrick Susskind's "Perfume."

A lot of people here know I have a burning love/hate relationship with the book Perfume by Patrick Susskind. It's so messed up, but you can't help reading because it's like trying not to look at a train wreck. In the end, you feel absolutely drained and feel like you wish you hadn't read it, yet another side of you is glad that you did. Any recommendations for books in the same vein? With a gothic atmosphere and a really dark, messed up story and cringe-worthy ending? The closest thing I've seen to Perfume was Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp but it was a movie/play and not a novel, plus it wasn't nearly as messed up as Susskind's perverted masterpiece.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    I've never found anything quite like it... but I loved it, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsinj View Post
    A lot of people here know I have a burning love/hate relationship with the book Perfume by Patrick Susskind. It's so messed up, but you can't help reading because it's like trying not to look at a train wreck. In the end, you feel absolutely drained and feel like you wish you hadn't read it, yet another side of you is glad that you did. Any recommendations for books in the same vein? With a gothic atmosphere and a really dark, messed up story and cringe-worthy ending? The closest thing I've seen to Perfume was Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp but it was a movie/play and not a novel, plus it wasn't nearly as messed up as Susskind's perverted masterpiece.
    Perfume is an amazing performance, and I haven't read anything else quite like it. That said, I agree that Sweeney Todd comes close. And speaking of Johnny Depp, avoid the movie, but read the graphic novel, From Hell, another amazing ride. Just to note, though, in this case "graphic" has a double meaning. (The movie's not bad, but the novel is better.)

Besides that, you might try earlier Gothics that pushed the boundaries of the tasteful and acceptable, notably The Monk by Matthew Lewis. I haven't read it, yet, but apparently it still has some power.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsinj View Post
    Any recommendations for books in the same vein? With a gothic atmosphere and a really dark, messed up story and cringe-worthy ending?
    The one book that comes to mind is Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco - a great read & shares quite a few (though not all) of the characteristics you mentioned.

Cheers,

Sfinx.

Maybe something by Patrick McGrath? His books often have gothic elements, unreliable narrators, characters of questionable mental stability, and twisted relationships.