Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question re Private Messages

I know I'm probably being really thick here, but what do I need to do to get my PM system to keep a copy of the messages I have sent? I can see all my inbox, but if I go to Outbox it shows 0 messages...?

Any help much appreciated!

It's quite simple, and you'll kick yourself.

User CP, and find "Edit Options", which is right next to your Avatar and Ignore List settings. The second set of options is "Messaging & Notification", with the second sub-set being "Private Messages". The very last option in that sub-set is the one you want.

You're absolutely right, I consider myself kicked! Thanks mate.

Now it's my turn for a probably obvious question. I can't find PM anything anywhere. I even peeked where Cheerwell said for PM options, and there's nothing there but email notifications, visitor messages, and thread options. If there's something I'm missing, I can deal with the hit to my ego if it means I can stop looking to no result.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Can't tell from my machine (it works for me!), but evidently some security programs can block it out: I'm sure we've had a member mention it before.

If in doubt, Kaeru, let staff know and we can change it.

In your case, I've changed it so that you don't get those copies.

Please let us know if that is not the case!

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    but evidently some security programs can block it out: I'm sure we've had a member mention it before.
    The Adblock Plus addon in Firefox was disabling the search function for me; not sure if this would cause the PM issue...

Blog Entries
    The Adblock Plus addon in Firefox was disabling the search function for me
    Thanks Westsiyeed: that was one of the ones mentioned, I think.

Mark
    Mark

I've rooted around and compared settings behind the scenes between Kaeru's account and a few others and don't seem to see any differences at all. You've actually been in your inbox on one computer and not another? Who is your ISP? Maybe there's something there blocking or something. I see no reason on our end that you should be missing that...

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OK before we do anything else if you go to User CP -> Settings and Options -> Edit Options -> The first box should be Login and Privacy, the second should then be Messaging and Notification.

In Messaging and Notification the third blue header should say Private Messaging. There is a tick box at the bottom of that section that says Enable Private Messaging. Can you confirm that a.) you have that option and b.) it is ticked please and we'll go from there.

KunoichiKaeru
    Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I've rooted around and compared settings behind the scenes between Kaeru's account and a few others and don't seem to see any differences at all. You've actually been in your inbox on one computer and not another? Who is your ISP? Maybe there's something there blocking or something. I see no reason on our end that you should be missing that...
    I've attempted to find private messaging from my iPad and from my computer from firefox, chrome, ie 8 . I signed in to vbulletin forums to see if something was not allowing all vbulletin features. On those forums I could see an inbox, but was told I did not have the privilege of using that feature. Here, I cannot see an inbox. I made this account from my computer to see if the problem somehow started because I started Kaeru from my iPad. ( can't really see how, but I thought I'd try everything. ) both accounts have the same issue.

Kater: Under messaging and notification, my options are: receive email, default subscription mode, and visitor messaging. Nothing about private messaging. I checked this first after reading the response to the original post.

Ps. Nothing on the computer is set up to block anything, it's all set up to ask about anything iffy. Also, no proxy settings.
    Last edited by KunoichiKaeru; March 23rd, 2011 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KunoichiKaeru View Post
    I made this account from my computer to see if the problem somehow started because I started Kaeru from my iPad. ( can't really see how, but I thought I'd try everything. ) both accounts have the same issue.

Kater: Under messaging and notification, my options are: receive email, default subscription mode, and visitor messaging. Nothing about private messaging. I checked this first after reading the response to the original post.
    Does the bolded response refer to the new account or the old? Your new account will not have pm access until you've posted a certain number of times, a total you haven't yet reached with the new account but have with the old. Sorry if this pedantic, just trying to narrow things down.

KunoichiKaeru
    Both accounts. Just double checked

Blog Entries
    Thank you, I think I see what the issue is - I'll have a chat with Mark now as I believe only he or Dag has the permissions set to do change the grouping.

KunoichiKaeru
    K. If it doesn't work, I'll live. Thanks so much for trying

Blog Entries
    OK: think we've got it. Please try now, and let us know if it works!

Mark
    Mark