Hybrid View

China Mieville's Embassytown

not much info really but came across this at:http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/ can't wait

"Embassytown: a city of contradictions on the outskirts of the universe.

Avice is an immerser, a traveller on the immer, the sea of space and time below the everyday, now returned to her birth planet. Here on Arieka, humans are not the only intelligent life, and Avice has a rare bond with the natives, the enigmatic Hosts - who cannot lie.

Only a tiny cadre of unique human Ambassadors can speak Language, and connect the two communities. But an unimaginable new arrival has come to Embassytown. And when this Ambassador speaks, everything changes.

Catastrophe looms. Avice knows the only hope is for her to speak directly to the alien Hosts."

Mieville will also be undertaking an American tour for the book, visiting New York, Washington DC, Boston, Seattle and Portland. I'm also hearing that Mieville's entire backlist is going to be repackaged in the UK with new cover art.

Embassytown will be published on 6 May 2011 and will be 432 pages in hardcover (not 208, as is being listed in some quarters) and tradeback.

Very much looking forward to this.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what to make of it. Sounds similar to The City and The City just slightly altered. Should be interesting one way or another. May wait for others to read it first before I take a shot on it.

So how do you pronounce that name? Av-EESE or Av-ICE?

I'll read it as soon as Amazon.ca sends it to me. And it sounds nothing like The City and the City.

Quote Originally Posted by columbob View Post
    And it sounds nothing like The City and the City.
    Yeah. But they both have at least a city in them

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Yeah. But they both have at least a city in them

As with every book by China.