Fantasy/Sci Fi inspired or inspiring music?

Since I'm new to the forum and I've seen some recent complaints about the "deadness" around here, let's take off on this subject.
    I'm always interested in the connection between music and literature. There are my beloved Tolkien references in Rush and Led Zep, but what about music that "put's you in the fantasy (especially) mindset?" Some that come to mind for me are Manowar, Iron Maiden, Dragonforce. I always think the epic sounding music and powerful lyrics remind me of a fantasy world, or a good book. What do you all think?

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hello Black Arrow!

Anything composed by Hans Zimmer gets me in the fantasy mindset, but I'm not sure if that's just because I've heard so much of his music in the theater.

Other than him specifically, it seems to me that every song I listen to puts me in the fantasy mindset. And I mean anything. Even, say, a hip-hop hit or something by Madonna. If a song is not instrumental, I focus on the words. If a phrase catches my attention, then my imagination immediately uses it as a springboard to new worlds.

Now, I wonder...what music would I assign to things I've read? That's an interesting idea. What would you assign to, say, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? Or The Dresden series?

N.E. White: I like Hans Zimmer too. Most movie soundtrack music fits the bill.