Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Anyone who hasn't heard Tool should watch this now!
    That is a good song, got it on my Triple J (Oz Radio station) Hottest 100 Cd from that year.

Yeah, mentioned earlier in this thread to 3rd how my mates and I were so full on into "Undertow" and the "Opiate EP" (when they came out), but I sort of moved onto other bands later. This thread reignited my interest and I'm really liking "10,000 Days", so will have to check out the other albums since too.

In the mid 90's, when I started discovering good rock music, I usually had a new favourite band each year. In 1994 it was Nirvana (saw them live!), in 1995 it was Soundgarden, in 1996 it was Metallica. But then, in 1997, I discovered Tool... and 15 years later they're still my favourite. They've stood the test of time.

Speaking of live music, I've seen a lot of amazing shows. I saw Michael Jackson when I was 4 years old, and Nirvana was my first rock concert (when I was 14). I've seen Soundgarden 3 times, Metallica 5 times, Tool 8 times, Jane's Addiction 3 times, and many, many more!
    Ha ha, sounds like me EA, exactly the same bands in the 90's. Saw Nirvana but Kurt had bad stomach issues so it wasn't the best.

Don't get to see as many bands in Oz, but have seen Porcupine Tree twice, Metallica, Ramones (sore ears for a day or 2), Slayer, Monster Magnet, Radiohead, heaps of local bands and been to numerous Big Day Outs. I used to like getting in the front and moving about a bit, but these days I prefer to stand towards the back.

PS Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" is also brilliant. Rusty Cage and Outshined =

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    That is a good song, got it on my Triple J (Oz Radio station) Hottest 100 Cd from that year.

Yeah, mentioned earlier in this thread to 3rd how my mates and I were so full on into "Undertow" and the "Opiate EP" (when they came out), but I sort of moved onto other bands later. This thread reignited my interest and I'm really liking "10,000 Days", so will have to check out the other albums since too.

Ha ha, sounds like me EA, exactly the same bands in the 90's. Saw Nirvana but Kurt had bad stomach issues so it wasn't the best.

Don't get to see as many bands in Oz, but have seen Porcupine Tree twice, Metallica, Ramones (sore ears for a day or 2), Slayer, Monster Magnet, Radiohead, heaps of local bands and been to numerous Big Day Outs. I used to like getting in the front and moving about a bit, but these days I prefer to stand towards the back.

PS Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" is also brilliant. Rusty Cage and Outshined =
    Ah dude you are so lucky I would have paid a ridiculous amount of money to have seen the Brisbane show. Not the BDO one but Tool did a separate show in Brisbane and from what I read it was one of their best shows ever. Danny Carey's girlfriend Rhynne said it was one of their top five best shows. They played You Lied and Right in Two. Soooo freakin lucky.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    3rdI,

You may hate me forever, but I saw them play "You Lied" at my first Tool show. Portland, 1998.

However, I always wanted to hear "Third Eye" (they played Flood instead, on that 1998 show) but I didn't see it until 12 years later (at my 8th show, last year, when they opened with it. Best night of my life!).

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Where do you guys stand on Maynard James Keenan's side projects like A Perfect Circle and Puscifer?

I've never really been an APC fan. There music never really caught my attention. Seemed like APC was more about Billy Howerdel getting his music out there.

Never listened to Puscifer.

3rdI,

You may hate me forever, but I saw them play "You Lied" at my first Tool show. Portland, 1998.

However, I always wanted to hear "Third Eye" (they played Flood instead, on that 1998 show) but I didn't see it until 12 years later (at my 8th show, last year, when they opened with it. Best night of my life!).
    You are so lucky. That is awesome dude. Every Tool show is unique I cannot pick one that resonated more than the others. I am glad I got to see them play Wings live as that is my favorite Tool song.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Where do you guys stand on Maynard James Keenan's side projects like A Perfect Circle and Puscifer?

I've never really been an APC fan. There music never really caught my attention. Seemed like APC was more about Billy Howerdel getting his music out there.

Never listened to Puscifer.
    APC is fantastic. Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step are superb albums. Emotive was okay.

I like Puscifer. It is very different than anything else MJK has done. I think he is improving as the last EP he put out was miles better than the first Puscifer album.

Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-4FUrhQR8g

Wow, thanks for the linkage 3rdI! That song is pretty awesome! MJK's voice is pretty amazing...not to mention his song writing ability.

I should clarify what I said earlier about APC. When I said I've never really been a fan, I mean: I don't listen to them on a regular basis like I do my favorite bands. I like and respect their music, have seen them live twice, but it isn't like, a go-to band for me. More like something I'll put in the stereo when I need a change of pace.

I like and respect their music, have seen them live twice, but it isn't like, a go-to band for me. More like something I'll put in the stereo when I need a change of pace.
    I'm the same, I've got Mer de Noms which I quite like, but never progressed further.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    That is very cool, Maynard's voice is quite suited to the slow, rolling song. Which EP is this from 3rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    I'm the same, I've got Mer de Noms which I quite like, but never progressed further.

That is very cool, Maynard's voice is quite suited to the slow, rolling song. Which EP is this from 3rd?
    "C" Is for (Please insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) E.P.

All the puscifer album/ep names are humorous.

www.puscifer.com

My favourite APC album is The Thirteenth Step.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    "C" Is for (Please insert Sophomoric Genitalia Reference Here) E.P.
    Thanks. I thought that was your joke to elude sffworld rules!

Ok dudes, inspired by Evil Agent's love of lists, let's rank the Seattle grunge bands...

My rankings:

1. Pearl Jam-they've stuck around, and are still pretty solid. Also a sweet live band. I would rank their live material as better than some of their albums.

2. Alice in Chains- Lane's voice is totally unique, and Cantrell has a nice guitar style that you don't hear too often in metal

3. Soundgarden- As much as I love Chris Cornell's voice when it is on, when he is off his game, he sounds like ass. Jesus Christ Pose is one of my all time favorite songs.

4. Nirvana- Slightly overrated. Still an awesome band. Probably the most accessible of the grunge bands, I feel like they didn't get a chance to reach their full potential. Kurt's guitar playing on the unplugged album is much more advanced than it was on Nevermind. Also Dave Grohl is an insane drummer.

5. The Melvins- Still rocking hard all these years later. They score points with me for keeping it real.

Being a Seattleite this is a hard one for me. These bands all have a special place in my heart.

Ok dudes, inspired by Evil Agent's love of lists, let's rank the Seattle grunge bands...

My rankings:

1. Pearl Jam-they've stuck around, and are still pretty solid. Also a sweet live band. I would rank their live material as better than some of their albums.

2. Alice in Chains- Lane's voice is totally unique, and Cantrell has a nice guitar style that you don't hear too often in metal

3. Soundgarden- As much as I love Chris Cornell's voice when it is on, when he is off his game, he sounds like ass. Jesus Christ Pose is one of my all time favorite songs.

4. Nirvana- Slightly overrated. Still an awesome band. Probably the most accessible of the grunge bands, I feel like they didn't get a chance to reach their full potential. Kurt's guitar playing on the unplugged album is much more advanced than it was on Nevermind. Also Dave Grohl is an insane drummer.

5. The Melvins- Still rocking hard all these years later. They score points with me for keeping it real.

Being a Seattleite this is a hard one for me. These bands all have a special place in my heart.
    The Melvins rock. They have been incredibly influential. One of those bands most people know nothing about but in my opinion are one of the most important bands of the last 20 years.

I must admit I don't listen to any of them much anymore, but in the 90's a few of them were my favourite bands.

Probably the same top 5, but substitute the Melvins with Mudhoney for me. I've never gotten into The Melvins but have heard heaps of praise, from other musicians as well.

I remember buying Nirvana's Bleach (in red viny) before Nevermind was released, and being blown away by the sludgy, grungy guitar in the songs. Still love that album. Then I bought Nevermind and was in awe of the sound, production and songwriting skills of Kurt. The whole group of people I was hanging out with were fully into it. Their Live Unplugged DVD is also excellent. Unfortunately Nevermind has sort of been played to death now.

Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger was the first album I heard of theirs, and was also amazed. Especially the intro song Rusty Cage and the downtuned guitars on "Outshined" - what a brilliant song and singing by Cornell. Also really liked Louder than Love but thought Superunknown was a bit disappointing.
    They're currently writing new material as a group for release this year - the first since 96 and their breakup!

Pearl Jam - yeah, pretty consistent. "Vs" got very heavy rotation in the car when it came out, as did Vitalogy.

Some great bands in a memorable era of my life, that's for sure.

Grunge

1. Soundgarden - By far the most progressive and experimental of the grunge bands. Badmotorfinger remains one of my favourite rock albums of all time, and Superunknown is amazing too. Chris Cornell probably has the best all around voice in rock (range, timbre, etc.).

2. Alice in Chains - Underrated grunge band, with great songwriting and some of the best vocal harmonies ever. Dirt is one of the darkest and most hardcore albums in my collection!

3. Pearl Jam - Very solid rock band, and their first three albums are classic... but somewhere around the 5th or 6th album it starts sounding a bit generic/repetitive to me.

4. Nirvana - Definitely a bit overrated, but this was the first modern rock band I ever liked and they were responsible for getting me into rock. I'd rank them higher if they'd been around a little longer (as Corporal Blues said above, they didn't get to reach their full potential). I can't really listen to them anymore (overplayed? burned out?) except for In Utero, which is a dark and muddy masterpiece.

It's funny that the lowest two on my list were the most popular of the bunch. AiC and Soundgarden didn't get as much of the spotlight, but were definitely the better musicians.