Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Skipper Dan by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Pretty damned good for Weird Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Skipper Dan by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Pretty damned good for Weird Al.
    Good for Weird Al? I've always thought his stuff was great. no qualifications needed. the man can put lyrics to music.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Good for Weird Al? I've always thought his stuff was great. no qualifications needed. the man can put lyrics to music.
    Yeah, but I find some of his songs either middling or just not that good.

Watching some of his live stuff, and he seems to have the stage presence of a dead kipper.

Way Too Human
    Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By The Stars

One of my all time favorite albums (CD...whatever).

(Couple of great "Big Hair" tunes in previous posts.)

Isis Complete Digital Live Album Series

http://www.isistheband.com/#/intro/

Ensiferum - Twilight Tavern. I love the guitars 'n' stuff at 0:35, it's pretty damned catchy. But I think Ensiferum are pretty good, even if I prefer their slightly earlier stuff like Wanderer, which is a little more epic and a little less screamy.

Most of the Tears For Fears back catalogue...

Turisas - "Stand Up And Fight"
    I think I almost decided to see these guys live years back, but I never did. The only folk metal band I've seen is Korpiklaani (Who are absolutely out of their collective trees), but I guess I don't mind too much as I don't really fit in with the crowd. I really like this song, though. It's different enough to their earlier stuff (Such as the sort of similar Battle Metal), but similar enough to still be them, that I think it's quite a refreshing song to have in a mix of, say, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Finntroll and so forth.

I know it's "unmetal" to identify with lyrics (A transcript here), but I think it's quite relevant to all of us in some way or another.

Plus it's a brilliant song to walk to.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Turisas - "Stand Up And Fight"
    I think I almost decided to see these guys live years back, but I never did. The only folk metal band I've seen is Korpiklaani (Who are absolutely out of their collective trees), but I guess I don't mind too much as I don't really fit in with the crowd. I really like this song, though. It's different enough to their earlier stuff (Such as the sort of similar Battle Metal), but similar enough to still be them, that I think it's quite a refreshing song to have in a mix of, say, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Finntroll and so forth.

I know it's "unmetal" to identify with lyrics (A transcript here), but I think it's quite relevant to all of us in some way or another.

Plus it's a brilliant song to walk to.
    You do surprise me sometimes. I wouldn't call it Metal by any stretch of the imagination but I didn't realize you dabbled in the heavier stuff now and again. Good on ya mate.

Check this out. One of All That Remains lighter songs. Sick guitar solo around 2 minutes in. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDDMO...feature=relmfu

Excellent Video on Adam Jones playing style. Most Tool songs are not very hard to play on guitar by skilled guitar players. However many people really do not understand exactly what Adam Jones is attempting to do from a song writing standpoint. His music, conceptually, is very complex and extremely well thought out. I have no doubt Jones could shred if he wants to, and have in fact seen him do it, but it is extremely rare. The reason for this is because he writes to complement the song rather than overshadow it. When you analyze Jones playing style as it relates to what the band is attempting to do in their compositions his brilliance becomes quite obvious. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXguhQVRcs0

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Been digging the new Mastodon release, Curl of the Burl. Good stuff. I'm probably more excited for their new album than I am for the new Opeth album at this point.

In other listenings...Been taking a listen down memory lane this week with Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). That stuff is still surprisingly good. I also remember 90% of the lyrics.

And my DJ, the catcher, he's my man
    in a way he's the one who devise the plan
    he throws up the signs and hooks up the beats with clout
    I throw the rhymes through the mic and I strike 'em out
    In the end it really don't matter on how you intrigue
    you cant F___ with those in the major leagues

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    You do surprise me sometimes. I wouldn't call it Metal by any stretch of the imagination but I didn't realize you dabbled in the heavier stuff now and again. Good on ya mate.
    Folk Metal can be a lot lighter, I mean just listen to Korpiklaani or a Ensiferum's Victory Songs album, but it can be heavy too. Finntroll's "Solsagan" is heavier than that Turisas song, although I can't decide if Nedgang is even heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Been digging the new Mastodon release, Curl of the Burl. Good stuff. I'm probably more excited for their new album than I am for the new Opeth album at this point.
    Sounding very cool. Apparently The Hunter is going to be a lot more stripped back/back to basics album than Crack the Skye - hopefully not too much as CtS was a fantastic album, helped by the more progressive structure and ideas for me.

Also loving the latest from Leprous (bad name, good band!) - one of the songs is here.