Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I just ordered Lateralus off of Amazon, so I should have it in a few days, thanks to Prime shipping.
    Has Lateralus arrived yet? Very curious to see how you think it compares to 10,000 Days.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    Has Lateralus arrived yet? Very curious to see how you think it compares to 10,000 Days.
    It has, though I haven't had time to listen to it yet. I don't want to listen to it without having some uninterrupted time from the wife or son and I am currently reading a book about the Saddam Hussein trials, which I don't think would necessarily lend well with music.

I hope to listen to it by the end of the week though and will definitely let you know my thoughts. It is the first time I have been excited to listen to an album in a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    It has, though I haven't had time to listen to it yet. I don't want to listen to it without having some uninterrupted time from the wife or son and I am currently reading a book about the Saddam Hussein trials, which I don't think would necessarily lend well with music.

I hope to listen to it by the end of the week though and will definitely let you know my thoughts. It is the first time I have been excited to listen to an album in a few years now.
    Yeah don't think it would flow well with that book lol Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the album. Artwork is cool as hell.

Now playing: OSI's "Blood" - brilliant album.

np: Tool - Wings for Marie (Part One) / 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)

The greatest song I have ever had the honor of listening to.

np: Tool - Wings for Marie (Part One) / 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)

The greatest song I have ever had the honor of listening to.
    Right, I'm going to borrow 10,000 days and listen to the album a couple of times to see what it's like.

(In my younger days I had the Opiate EP and Undertow and absolutely loved both, but some reason drifted away from Tool after that)...

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Right, I'm going to borrow 10,000 days and listen to the album a couple of times to see what it's like.

(In my younger days I had the Opiate EP and Undertow and absolutely loved both, but some reason drifted away from Tool after that)...
    Right on. Opiate and Undertow are both superb. Not as technical as Aenima, Lateralus, or 10,000 Days by a long way but still fantastic in their own right. Aenima really showed just how remarkably talented they are. I loved Undertow but I remember the first time I listened to Aenima I was stunned by the time it was over. Never imagined an album could be that good.

And then of course Lateralus was released 5 years later and once again I was stunned. I had searched high and low for anything musically that could compare to Aenima. Lateralus did more than compare rather it exceeded in every possible way. Technical brilliance. Remarkable polyrhythms, crazy time signatures, masterfully executed.

Five years go by and then 10,000 Days was released. And while I loved it from day one it was rather harshly received by some in the Tool community. I think some fans were so captivated by Lateralus that maybe they expected a Lateralus part two...I am not entirely sure.

Ultimately 10,000 Days is the bands most musically complex work to date. Thankfully it wasn't a Lateralus Part Two it absolutely stands on its own. It is an album of extremes. Some of the heaviest music they have made as well as some of the lightest. It isn't as complete as Lateralus from start to finish rather it meanders on its own path while still maintaining the prevailing feel and tone throughout the album.

Every album is its own experience. It is interesting to see the evolution from Opiate to 10,000 Days. Anyway that is my two cents. Peace.

Ultimately 10,000 Days is the bands most musically complex work to date. Thankfully it wasn't a Lateralus Part Two it absolutely stands on its own. It is an album of extremes. Some of the heaviest music they have made as well as some of the lightest.
    That sounds more appealing to me, will be checking it out.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Still prefer the Johnny Cash version.

I've just reacquainted myself with the excellent album A Grand Don't Come for Free by The Streets and also Original Pirate Material by the same guy. Almost as good but has a few songs I'm not so keen on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    Still prefer the Johnny Cash version.

I've just reacquainted myself with the excellent album A Grand Don't Come for Free by The Streets and also Original Pirate Material by the same guy. Almost as good but has a few songs I'm not so keen on.
    Johnny Cash version is very good. The original version by Trent Reznor is the best though. The Downward Spiral is such a good album.

Had no idea it was a cover.

Shows what I know.

I finally got an opportunity to sit down and listen to Lateralus without interruption, from start to finish.

Great, great album. It is rare for me to find an album that can enrapture me like this.

I need to listen to it a few more times, and perhaps with 10,000 Days, to get a better feel on them to comment much more, but damn, that album is powerful. 2 for 2 with Tool. I understand their first two official albums are a bit different, but I am pretty excited to get them. I just ordered them from Amazon a few minutes ago.

Antony & The Johnsons - "My Lady Story"

You have no idea how relieved and glad I am that I still had my copy of the album in my wardrobe.

The Social Network Soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross