Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Also heard the bassist from Alice in Chains died.
    Whoa, that SUCKS. But to clarify, the bassist who died is Mike Starr (who played with them until 1993). Their current bassist, Mike Inez, is still alive and still in the band (I just saw him back in October, when AiC came to town). Still, Mike Starr played bass on "Would?" and "Rain When I Die", two of the best bass lines ever (from the album Dirt).

As for what I'm listening to, mostly Radiohead's new album "The King of Limbs".
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 9th, 2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNY View Post
    I finally got an opportunity to sit down and listen to Lateralus without interruption, from start to finish.

Great, great album. It is rare for me to find an album that can enrapture me like this.

I need to listen to it a few more times, and perhaps with 10,000 Days, to get a better feel on them to comment much more, but damn, that album is powerful. 2 for 2 with Tool. I understand their first two official albums are a bit different, but I am pretty excited to get them. I just ordered them from Amazon a few minutes ago.
    Whoa, you're just discovering Tool? Awesome! I've been into them since 1997, shortly after Aenima was released. All their albums are great, but in my opinion Aenima is undoubtedly their finest masterpiece. Definitely check it out! So many amazing tracks: Third Eye, Pushit, 46&2, Jimmy, Aenema, Stinkfist, Eulogy, etc. In my opinion, it's probably the single greatest rock album of the 90's.

Here's my ranking of Tool's albums:

1. Aenima
    2. Lateralus
    3. Undertow (sometimes I rank this as #2)
    4. 10,000 Days
    5. Opiate (EP)
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 8th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.

My Top 10

Here are my Top 10 bands/musicians of all time... most of whom I listen to at least once a week... ranked in order!

1.The Beatles (best songwriters of all time)
    2. Led Zeppelin (masters of rock and roll)
    3. Tool (best progressive/experimental/metal band of the 90's)
    4. Radiohead (way ahead of their time)
    5. Ween (criminally underrated songwriters, masters of every genre)
    6. Björk(one of the most unique and creative artists of our time)
    7. Metallica (their first 5 albums are still the best heavy metal ever)
    8. Soundgarden/Alice in Chains (tie between the two best grunge bands)
    9. Pink Floyd (progressive, trippy, experimental bliss)
    10. Mike Patton (prolific genius behind Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, and Faith No More)

Runners up: King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Queens of the Stone Age, Primus, Black Sabbath, etc...
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 8th, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    Whoa, you're just discovering Tool? Awesome! I've been into them since 1997, shortly after Aenima was released. All their albums are great, but in my opinion Aenima is undoubtedly their finest masterpiece. Definitely check it out! So many amazing tracks: Third Eye, Pushit, 46&2, Jimmy, Aenema, Stinkfist, Eulogy, etc. In my opinion, it's probably the single greatest rock album of the 90's.

Here's my ranking:

1. Aenima
    2. Lateralus
    3. Undertow (sometimes I rank this as #2)
    4. 10,000 Days
    5. Opiate (EP)
    My only positive contribution to this forum. Introducing my boy Matty Ice to Tool.

I am surprised 10,000 Days is so low on your list. From a composition standpoint it is far and away their most complex. Wings and Rosetta Stoned are remarkable songs.

How the heck did you manage to forget Salival! shame on you EA

Most underrated Tool song... gotta be 4 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdI View Post
    My only positive contribution to this forum. Introducing my boy Matty Ice to Tool.

I am surprised 10,000 Days is so low on your list. From a composition standpoint it is far and away their most complex. Wings and Rosetta Stoned are remarkable songs.

How the heck did you manage to forget Salival! shame on you EA

Most underrated Tool song... gotta be 4 degrees
    My friend and I both compiled a list of EVERY Tool song, ranked in order (I think there were 40+). Two tracks from 10,000 Days cracked my Top 15 (Jambi and Rosetta Stoned). That being said, 10,000 Days is very nearly tied with Lateralus in my mind, but loses out simply because it seems to be about one actual song shorter. And it's only behind Undertow because of how classic that record is, and (again) because it has less songs. So its placement on my list is very deceiving. It's like ranking your five favourite flavours of ice cream, or your five favourite beers, or foods. They're ALL miles above everything else out there!

Also, I tend to not consider Salival to be an actual album since it's mostly just live versions of previous songs (plus a couple kick ass covers). It definitely rocks, though!

EDIT: Just for fun, here's the first 10 songs from my ranked list of all Tool's songs. (I like lists, as you've probably noticed).

1. Third Eye
    2. Pushit
    3. Intolerance
    4. Forty-Six & 2
    5. Stinkfist
    6. Lateralus
    7. The Grudge
    8. Eulogy
    9. Flood
    10. Rosetta Stoned
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 8th, 2011 at 11:25 PM.

My friend and I both compiled a list of EVERY Tool song, ranked in order (I think there were 40+). Two tracks from 10,000 Days cracked my Top 15 (Jambi and Rosetta Stoned). That being said, 10,000 Days is very nearly tied with Lateralus in my mind, but loses out simply because it seems to be about one actual song shorter. And it's only behind Undertow because of how classic that record is, and (again) because it has less songs. So it's placement on my list is very deceiving. It's like ranking your five favourite flavours of ice cream, or your five favourite beers, or foods. They're ALL miles above everything else out there!

Also, I tend to not consider Salival to be an actual album since it's mostly just live versions of previous songs (plus a couple kick ass covers). It definitely rocks, though!

EDIT: Just for fun, here's the first 10 songs from my ranked list of all Tool's songs. (I like lists, as you've probably noticed).

1. Third Eye
    2. Pushit
    3. Intolerance
    4. Forty-Six & 2
    5. Stinkfist
    6. Lateralus
    7. The Grudge
    8. Eulogy
    9. Flood
    10. Rosetta Stoned
    Listmania right on! Dunno if I can do a top ten but I will try (I count Disposition, Reflection, and Triad as one song btw)

1. Wings for Marie
    2. D/R/T
    3. Lateralus
    4. Third Eye
    5. Pushit (Salival Version)
    6. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
    7. Jambi
    8. Ticks and Leeches
    9. Stinkfist
    10. Vicarious

The greatest drummer of all time

Part One

Part Two
    Hell yes! The ending of Schism (starting around the 4:00 mark of the first video) is incredible. What am I saying, the entirety of both videos is incredible! If I was a religious man, I would literally worship Danny Carey, GOD OF DRUMS! (Can you believe he's turning 50 this year?!?).

Out of the 8 times I've seen Tool live, the best was probably when I got first row seats situated directly in front of Danny Carey. Best two hours of my life.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; March 8th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.

Hell yes! The ending of Schism (starting around the 5:00 mark of the first video) is incredible. If I was a religious man, I would literally worship Danny Carey, GOD OF DRUMS! (Can you believe he's turning 50 this year?!?).

Out of the 8 times I've seen Tool live, the best was probably when I got first row seats situated directly in front of Danny Carey. Best two hours of my life.
    Dude he is so good it is hard to even wrap your brain around it. And you can tell half the time he is holding back. It is crazy to think he is going to be 50. I really think this next album might be their last true studio album.

Dude he is so good it is hard to even wrap your brain around it. And you can tell half the time he is holding back. It is crazy to think he is going to be 50. I really think this next album might be their last true studio album.
    Kinda sad to think it could be their last, but I thought the same thing about the last album. Then again, I remember talking with my friends in 1998 and theorizing that there would never be another Tool album after Aenima (or that we'd ever get to see them live, lol!). In truth, I'd rather only have a few amazing Tool albums than a bunch of rushed efforts.

Funny that no one gives them a hard time about taking 5 years between albums, whereas GRRM gets so much sh!t from everyone! He's a craftsman concerned with quality over quanitity, just like them.

Anyways, I think I'm derailing this thread (this is what happens when you put two Tool fans in a room together, LOL!). Now listening to Crack the Skye by Mastodon. The first new metal band I've discovered in a long time.

Kinda sad to think it could be their last, but I thought the same thing about the last album. Then again, I remember talking with my friends in 1998 and theorizing that there would never be another Tool album after Aenima (or that we'd ever get to see them live, lol!). In truth, I'd rather only have a few amazing Tool albums than a bunch of rushed efforts.

Funny that no one gives them a hard time about taking 5 years between albums, whereas GRRM gets so much sh!t from everyone! He's a craftsman concerned with quality over quanitity, just like them.

Anyways, I think I'm derailing this thread (this is what happens when you put two Tool fans in a room together, LOL!). Now listening to Crack the Skye by Mastodon. The first new metal band I've discovered in a long time.
    Mastodon hells yes! Outstanding band. Brann is a helluva drummer. I would have to say Blood Mountain is my favorite album they have done.

Here are my Top 10 bands/musicians of all time... most of whom I listen to at least once a week... ranked in order!

1.The Beatles (best songwriters of all time)
    2. Led Zeppelin (masters of rock and roll)
    3. Tool (best progressive/experimental/metal band of the 90's)
    4. Radiohead (way ahead of their time)
    5. Ween (criminally underrated songwriters, masters of every genre)
    6. Björk(one of the most unique and creative artists of our time)
    7. Metallica (their first 5 albums are still the best heavy metal ever)
    8. Soundgarden/Alice in Chains (tie between the two best grunge bands)
    9. Pink Floyd (progressive, trippy, experimental bliss)
    10. Mike Patton (prolific genius behind Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, and Faith No More)

Runners up: King Crimson, The Mars Volta, Queens of the Stone Age, Primus, Black Sabbath, etc...
    Hmmm, I have a few the same too.

Difficult to rank but my top ten would be:

1. Porcupine Tree - only discovered them a few years ago but now own every album. Love their musicianship, variety in styles across albums and their sound production.
    2. The Beatles - grew up listening to them in my parent's car, agreed the Lennon/McCartney combo can't be beaten. I love "Hey Jude" and "A Day in the Life", and Paul's singing on "Oh! Darling".
    3. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - great art-rock band from Texas.
    4. Radiohead (The Bends and Ok are two of my top 10 albums).
    5. Iron Maiden - especially the first 6 or 7 albums. Steve Harris is such a great bass player/songwriter (and a great bloke!).
    6. Metallica - although I don't listen to them much anymore, still have to be up there.
    7. Rancid - great punk/ska band.
    8. Supergrass - pop/rock from the UK, shame they broke up.
    9. OSI - electronic/heavy mix courtesy of ex DT and Fates Warning musicians.
    10. Baroness - sludge metal from the States.

plus Anathema, Opeth, Frost*, Dead Kennedy's, etc.

Now listening to Crack the Skye by Mastodon. The first new metal band I've discovered in a long time.
    I love that album too. I've discovered a few metal bands in recent years that I really love now; you may want to check them EA:

Leprous, from Norway - their second album "Tall Poppy Syndrome" is well written with a wide variety of vocals, can't wait for their new release in a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKFgA...eature=related

Also Disillusion's Gloria album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdYaPlJKavo

Also Indukti, from Poland (many people see a lot of Tool influence):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uU0Y...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Hmmm, I have a few the same too.

Difficult to rank but my top ten would be:

1. Porcupine Tree - only discovered them a few years ago but now own every album. Love their musicianship, variety in styles across albums and their sound production.
    2. The Beatles - grew up listening to them in my parent's car, agreed the Lennon/McCartney combo can't be beaten. I love "Hey Jude" and "A Day in the Life", and Paul's singing on "Oh! Darling".
    3. ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - great art-rock band from Texas.
    4. Radiohead (The Bends and Ok are two of my top 10 albums).
    5. Iron Maiden - especially the first 6 or 7 albums. Steve Harris is such a great bass player/songwriter (and a great bloke!).
    6. Metallica - although I don't listen to them much anymore, still have to be up there.
    7. Rancid - great punk/ska band.
    8. Supergrass - pop/rock from the UK, shame they broke up.
    9. OSI - electronic/heavy mix courtesy of ex DT and Fates Warning musicians.
    10. Baroness - sludge metal from the States.

plus Anathema, Opeth, Frost*, Dead Kennedy's, etc.
    My top ten favorite bands are as follows:

1. Tool
    2. Opeth
    3. A Perfect Circle
    4. Porcupine Tree
    5. Isis
    6. Meshuggah
    7. King Crimson
    8. Pink Floyd
    9. Nine Inch Nails
    10. Gordian Knot

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Did someone say Top 10 favorite bands?

1. Opeth
    2. Megadeth
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Porcupine Tree
    6. Faith No More
    7. Iron Maiden
    8. High On Fire
    9. Mastodon
    10. The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Did someone say Top 10 favorite bands?

1. Opeth
    2. Megadeth
    3. Black Sabbath
    4. Pink Floyd
    5. Porcupine Tree
    6. Faith No More
    7. Iron Maiden
    8. High On Fire
    9. Mastodon
    10. The Doors
    Nice list, I've got albums by all those (most of 3rdI's too). Faith No More could easily be in my top 10 (11?), I love Mike Patton's vocal variety.

What's your favourite FNM album? Angel Dust is mine, by quite a bit - brilliant album.