Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar

Which anime would you like to see become a live-action film?

The film industry has had mixed success turning comic and GN characters and anime into live-action movies. Are there any anime series you'd like to see someone give a shot at a live-action film?

Personally, I'd love to see Bubblegum Crisis given a live-action treatment... it would probably look a lot like Iron Man, I'd guess... but I figure, how can you go wrong with 4 sexy girls in cyborg suits (and a brother-sidekick following in his uber-equipped van) going after killer robots?

Any other ideas for a good live-action possibility? Or maybe some that you absolutely don't want to see anyone try?

Bugglegum Crisis is up for a live action release in the next couple of years I'm pretty sure.
    Frankly, live action anime scares me a little. The few I’ve seen left me disappointed but if I was to choose, I think I’d like to see “Grave of the Fireflies” given a live action version.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead2u View Post
    Bugglegum Crisis is up for a live action release in the next couple of years I'm pretty sure.
    So I see from a few clips I found... we'll see how that goes.

Frankly, live action anime scares me a little. The few I’ve seen left me disappointed but if I was to choose, I think I’d like to see “Grave of the Fireflies” given a live action version.
    I think, like many other genres, it just takes the right vision and production to make it work. I do think a lot of SFF anime is inherently tougher to produce than other genres... there is usually a hyper-kinetic aspect of the action that can be hard to express in live-action... but I don't think it's impossible. I'd call movies like The Matrix and Forbidden Kingdom proof-of-concept.

Ghost in the Shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    I do think a lot of SFF anime is inherently tougher to produce than other genres... there is usually a hyper-kinetic aspect of the action that can be hard to express in live-action...
    exactly, if you stuff it up they end up looking like a new Power Rangers movie.

The problem is that to make a live action version of a Sci-Fi anime would cost a few bucks so it’s more than likely they’ll get a big name director (I think Spielberg was on for the "Ghost in a Shell” movie) regardless of how appropriate they may be.

I guess in the end it’s like watching a movie based on a favourite book. You often have to disassociate the two in order to enjoy the new one (or I do anyway).

exactly, if you stuff it up they end up looking like a new Power Rangers movie.

The problem is that to make a live action version of a Sci-Fi anime would cost a few bucks so it’s more than likely they’ll get a big name director (I think Spielberg was on for the "Ghost in a Shell” movie) regardless of how appropriate they may be.
    Sure, popularity helps... but it's not everything. Favreau's Iron Man was a huge success, though Favreau himself wasn't considered a "big name director." And remember, not all anime is heavy on mecha and giant spacecraft... quite a bit of it could be done on lesser budgets, relying mostly on good old human stuntwork and traditional gun and car gags (I'm thinking things like Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean here).

(And I might not have chosen Spielberg for GitS, but on the other hand, I thought he did an incredible job on The War of the Worlds, and I could go with him. I'd probably choose Ridley Scott, J.J. Abrams or James Cameron first.)

well i guess i can watch any movie baseed on anime providedly it should be directed by James Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by alex4u View Post
    well i guess i can watch any movie baseed on anime providedly it should be directed by James Cameron
    Interesting! Why do you think Cameron would be the best at live-action anime? He's certainly good about anime-looking hardware, but I wouldn't say he has an anime style about his work.

I agree with the Cameron pick for any mecha/powersuit genre adaptation and it's pretty simple why. Regardless of whether his style is "anime" enough or not he is the absolute master of heavy weaponry action scenes in live action film. If you're not going the martial arts route nobody is going to make an action scene that hits harder, looks better or actually makes more sense to the viewer.

Take Michael Bay's work on Transformers. All the ingredients for mind-blowing action scenes wasted with too much shaky camera work and fumbling attempts at visual flair that miss as often as they hit. Now watch Terminator 2. What a masterpiece. No confusion but no lack of impact or badassery or flat out awesomeness.

I guess I could sum it all up by saying I'm no film student, I don't know what all the minutiae involved are but there's something very efficient about a James Cameron action scene. All this nonsense that's been creeping it's way into action scenes for the last decade or so seems like a lot of wasted effort. I don't think the extent to which his style is "anime" is tremendously relevant because if you're going to do an adaptation you probably should bring some different style elements to the table or why not just watch the anime? They are certainly tremendously enjoyable to begin with or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So if someone were going to adapt something like Evangelion or whatever absolutely I would prefer James Cameron at the wheel.

Are there any animes you guys would prefer NOT to be made into movies? I remember hearing about someone wanting to adapt Akira and getting a bad feeling about it. I just have a hard time believing it would be done well at all so it was hard for me to think it was worthwhile.

I like that Toby Maguire got behind Robotech. I'd probably go see that and he would make a good Rick Hunter if he decides to be in it. I doubt they'd be able to cram anything but a small portion of the story into a feature length film but whatever.

I could see Akira being done live-action. A decade or so back, I would've said no; fortunately, a lot of productions that would have looked silly just 15 years ago can be done with today's computer effects. I wouldn't venture to pick a director for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    I could see Akira being done live-action. A decade or so back, I would've said no; fortunately, a lot of productions that would have looked silly just 15 years ago can be done with today's computer effects. I wouldn't venture to pick a director for it...
    Steve, I'm 99% certain it's already being/been made. I saw an update a few months ago saying it was already in production!

I'm busy as hell prepping for xmas day here but I'll search for it when I got a few minutes!!

Solaar
    ever busy

[edit] found a little something, maybe it's not as far along as I thought!

www.imdb.com/title/tt1134795
    Last edited by Solaar; December 24th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Dark Sol

Live Anime

An anime that would work really well live action... Ninja Scroll.

Now its possible to get a joint operation btwn Americans and Japanese

Director I would choose some one who is subtle and relies more on character than explosions.
    However been that its over the top BLOOD, QT would be an awesome choice
    but I would like to see Sam Raimi or Eli Roth

I could wish the Hollywood pushes for a Japanese main actor with western female lead

The script is easy to update. Bring in some extra character focus, some black comedy by using the old man/ government spy.

Plus its already got a killer score... maybe update a little.

Don't watch much anime but I'd like to see Gundam Wing as a film, but just to the end of the tenth episode. For those of you that have watched, you know what I'm talking about. That was just one of the most powerful scene I've seen.

I think I'd rather just have another Firefly movie over a Cowboy Bebop movie.

I heard they are making a Cowboy Bebop live action with some actor slated to be Spike that I can only remember not liking at all. I wish I could remember who it was. Probably Nicholas Cage or something retarded like that.

Edit: It was Keanu Reeves. Awful choice to be Spike.

Would love to see Trigun as a live action film